• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model CUH-2200 revealed by Sony (Japan)

Shin

Banned
Sony Corporation updated its Japanese online store, revealing an interesting change.
Most versions of the “slim” base PS4, which previously carried the model number CUH-2100, have now been changed to CUH-2200. At the moment there is a new 1 TB Jet Black version (CUH-2200BB01), a new 500 GB Jet Black version (CUH-2200AB01), and a new 1 TB Glacier White version (CUH-2200BB02). The 500 GB Glacier White version still has the model number CUH-2100AB02. The previous CUH-2100 revision was introduced in 2017.
Price, weight, sizes, and power consumption appear to be unchanged, with the console still costing 34,980 yen + taxes for the 1 TB model, and 29,980 yen + taxes for the 500 GB model.

Credit: https://www.dualshockers.com/ps4-model-cuh-2200-revealed-sony/
Source: http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps4/hardware/cuh2200ab01.html & http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps4/hardware/cuh2200bb01.html

I wonder if this means Sony Japan will cut the price over there. The PS4 hasn't gotten a price cut in Japan since September 2016, IIRC.

Shin

Banned
I wonder if this means Sony Japan will cut the price over there. The PS4 hasn't gotten a price cut in Japan since September 2016, IIRC.
They might have found a sweet spot that works for their current business model, I really don't see them lowering the price of PS4.
As it has been and despite being a bit more expensive overall they've been managing to outsell their competitor (MS) in Japan and outside of it.
So why would they lose out on money by lowering it, it might not equate to sales/profit, all those things they've crunched already and came to a conclusion.
I rather they keep reaping in profit with PS4 as is and use that money to invest in a better PS5 instead of this almost finished generation (well still 5 more years to go before EoL, but more the reason why they wouldn't want to lower it yet).

They might have found a sweet spot that works for their current business model, I really don't see them lowering the price of PS4.
As it has been and despite being a bit more expensive overall they've been managing to outsell their competitor (MS) in Japan and outside of it.
So why would they lose out on money by lowering it, it might not equate to sales/profit, all those things they've crunched already and came to a conclusion.
I rather they keep reaping in profit with PS4 as is and use that money to invest in a better PS5 instead of this almost finished generation (well still 5 more years to go before EoL, but more the reason why they wouldn't want to lower it yet).
Yeah, you have a point. I also saw an article on DualShockers where Capcom announced a new Monster Hunter World PS4 bundle.

thelastword

Banned
Absolutely, there's no reason to lower the price anyway, it keeps selling boatloads. So yes, Sony should keep on raking that profit and give us a PS5 monster of a console in 2020, launch it at $100.00 hit to their coffers and recover that with a slim later on, no need for a mid gen upgrade either....

keep-calm-and-crip-cuh.jpg

giphy.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I would rebuy my pro if I could get a water cooled Xbox One X version of it. And one with a 4K Blu-ray since you can't stream ish on a PS4 in 4K outside of Netflix.

Vapor cooled. I know, I'm just being a shit but I know what you mean, lol.

Still rocking my Uncharted Collection refresh but I'd like to get a pro. If they could get a die shrink or a 4K drive at a lower cost I'd be in.
I doubt Sony will do much with the Pro at this point. Only a small fraction of consumers buy it and as soon as the PS5 comes out, I bet Sony will ditch the Pro and establish the PS5 as the new premium console.

MayauMiao

If it helps to reduce heat and noise. Everytime I fired up God of War, the menu screen always made my first gen PS4 sound like plane taking off.

Top Bottom