• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Cosmic Shift Controllers Announced for Xbox Design Lab

Draugoth

Gold Member
Family-Shot-Wire-Specs-JPG-56cb49066afb644fb370.jpg

In 2021, we introduced the Shift Special Edition Controller series with the Aqua Shift, followed by the Lunar and Stellar Shift controllers. We have been thrilled by the Xbox community’s response to each controller and are delighted to announce that the Shift series is now available through Xbox Design Lab. Alongside the Aqua, Lunar, and Stellar Shift designs making their debut on Xbox Design Lab, we are equally excited to introduce the newest member to the Shift series family – Cosmic Shift. These color-shifting top cases change color with light and motion – including the blue shimmer of Aqua Shift, silver-gold shimmer of Lunar Shift, blue-purple shimmer of Stellar Shift, and white-pink shimmer of Cosmic Shift.

At its core, the Shift series symbolizes the essence of exploring district realms, as each controller has a design story tied to traversing from one dimension to another. The blue shimmer of the Aqua Shift symbolizes the sea and its rhythmic tides. The silver-gold shimmer of the Lunar Shift embodies the captivating aura of the moon. The Stellar Shift transports us to the depths of space, where the deep purple and blue shimmer mimic the mysterious themes of the galaxy.

Xbox_Motion_Pink-f1247c6c8af6e2c9ce9a-1024x683.jpg
The true highlight of these new additions is the brand-new Cosmic Shift, only available through Xbox Design Lab. Beginning with the ocean and culminating in deep space, the Cosmic Shift encapsulates the endpoint of this grand journey through the universe. The white-pink shimmer is perfectly subtle, reminiscent of a star-filled nebula, providing a unique aesthetic for you to get your hands on. No matter which shimmering top case you choose, each controller gets all the great benefits you’d expect from an Xbox Design Lab controller. You get to personalize the D-Pad, buttons, bumpers, triggers, and back case, tailoring it to your style. Elevate your customization with extras like personalized engraving, metallic triggers, or rubberized side and back grips for enhanced comfort and control.

Sometimes I really do wonder if they just get people who are color blind to do these shots or is the goal to make everything as gaudy as possible to show that you too can make a nasty eyesore.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Did someone say XDL shift controllers?

uEVp39a.jpg

I need to see the cosmic shift IRL before deciding if its worth the investment.
The Lunar Shift looks amazing IRL.

maxresdefault.jpg

Chastten

Banned
This is the one thing Microsoft does absolutely right and I wish Nintendo would copy.

I have a fuckton of Xbox controllers for PC, even though I barely play games on there. I just can't resist shiny new controllers.

I think the Starfield controller will be my last xbox controller I get.
Waiting for that leaked controller with haptics, and other stuff to hit before buying more controllers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t ever see myself footing the bill for one, but i like that you can design your own controller.

That’s one aspect others should copy.

dorkimoe

Love these. How many people are buying new controllers though? I feel like every day new controllers are posted, I’ve bought 1 in the last 6 years

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I love my (purple)stellar shift so much I bought a 2nd one just to keep in the box on my shelf. Got it next to my sea of thieves controller, my horizon 5 controller, my starfield controller, and my halo limited series x controller. I don't even have a series x anymore but I love the designs enough to keep them. I use a standard black controller for my PC now. I will be grabbing the lunar shift one the second I see one.

violence

I have 3 series controllers and 2 are flaking out with false inputs or signal drops even while plugged in with a cable! I rather they just make them work.

Last edited:
If controllers were still like $30 this would be really cool. When controllers are $60, when not on sale, Microsoft's obsession with coming out with new controllers every month is kind of irritating.

Black_Stride

If controllers were still like $30 this would be really cool. When controllers are $60, when not on sale, Microsoft's obsession with coming out with new controllers every month is kind of irritating.
You know what Xbox Design Labs is right?

You know what Xbox Design Labs is right?
I know it's user generated designs and stuff. I just don't get excited about it though due to the pricing. It must be popular or wouldn't still be a thing. And while it probably wasn't fair to call it a Microsoft obsession, clearly they hype it up on a regular basis to make money. I'd rather them hype up new games. What WOULD be cool is if you could design a controller with paddles or vents or anything other than peddling more controller colors.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I know it's user generated designs and stuff. I just don't get excited about it though due to the pricing. It must be popular or wouldn't still be a thing. And while it probably wasn't fair to call it a Microsoft obsession, clearly they hype it up on a regular basis to make money. I'd rather them hype up new games.

Its literally just an announcement on their news channels saying they have new colors in design lab.

How is that hyping it up its literally news.
Would you rather they NOT tell people theres new designs and people have to keep going back to XDL to check if theres new colors?

The last XDL announcement was like in 2022 when they announced that the Elite Series 2 was coming to design labs.
Before that I think it was 2021 for rubber grips and metallic finishes.
Something like 1 or 2 announcements a year about XDL......literal announcements, but thats an obsession and hyping it up.

If you dont care about XDL, dont enter threads about XDL, they arent even hard to miss because theres so few a year.

Ozriel

M$FT
I know it's user generated designs and stuff. I just don't get excited about it though due to the pricing. It must be popular or wouldn't still be a thing. And while it probably wasn't fair to call it a Microsoft obsession, clearly they hype it up on a regular basis to make money. I'd rather them hype up new games. What WOULD be cool is if you could design a controller with paddles or vents or anything other than peddling more controller colors.

They’re priced very comparable to the vanilla controllers. Complaining about customization options now?

I'd rather them hype up new games.

You imagine it’s the hardware guys applying colors to plastic that make games?

Bry0

Hey those look cool, I’m glad they added the “shift” colors to XDL. I’m dying for an elite 3 though. It’s so weird that the elite 2 is still “current” despite having the Xbox one era shape.

Top Bottom