• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Yggdra Union (GBA) video

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
YDM Neo.

This game looks so completely awesome it's hard to believe it's GBA. This had better come to the U.S.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Wow, that is an incredible looking title. I'm not a big fan of the genre, but I'm floored by the technical feat of it. Honestly looks like a PSX title in its 2D glory days. Oh, and Engrish am win you total! :D

Jiggy

Despite Riviera, I want to blieve. :(
This looks so awesome both in gameplay and graphics, and it seems to have a female main character on top of that. How can it go wrong?

The video did focus a little too much on the Break Out attacks when the normal combat segments--the beginning with the Sword Maidens vs. the Witches, and the end with the Stray Thieves vs. the Fencers--were actually by far the best content. I just hope the game itself focuses on that and that Break Outs are more comparatively rare.

Or at least that there's an option to skip battle animations. Can't stress enough how much that option helps out in Advance Wars and Fire Emblem...

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, it looks great, but I agree 100% that there should be an option to skip redundant shit (such as the whole "I give a brief explination of my big special attack before it goes off" thing).

Riviera did pretty well, didn't it? If anybody will bring this over, it'll be Atlus or NISA, but I'm wondering what the exact numbers for Riviera were.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
G-d damnit that looks brilliant! The portrait work, sprite work, animations, and special effects all look well beyond what I thought the GBA could pull off. I hope it comes here!

belgurdo

Banned
It looks like it's going to have one of the same problems Riviera had (a basic attack taking a minute+ to execute because of all of the Engrish and 3D explosions and shit), but it looks fun

am i the only one that thinks this looks like a bad langrisser wannabe?

has sting made one good game in their entire existence? (no riviera is not good)

ethelred

pancakesandsex said:

has sting made one good game in their entire existence? (no riviera is not good)

Yes, Riviera is good.

ethelred

neptunes said:
Riviera was boring.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Personally, I found it to be a very refreshing change of pace from the traditional RPG norm, and I think it successfully implemented some innovative ideas. I found the battles fun, and I liked the strategy involved.

I'm very much looking forward to Yggdra Union, by the same token.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Riviera wasn't bad, I bought it out of a recommendation of a friend and it didn't let me down. It was a game with unique controls and some solid RPG mechanics. Although the lack of being able to walk around was a downer for some, it really doesn't eliminate much from the gameplay aside from holding the directional pad down for a few seconds. I'll admit however that it sometimes got pretty damn boring with so many mundane battles and the locations constantly repeating.

Yggdra Union looks like a nicely animation and competent Fire Emblem clone. Hopefully Atlus will bring this one over here, looks like it has promise.

ethelred

johnsmith said:
How did Riviera do in sales? Good enough for them to bring Yggdra Union to the US?

It pretty much sold out its printing, which led Atlus to do a second printing of the game. But I'm not sure how many copies they printed the first time, nor how many they printed the secodn time, nor how well the second batch sold. But the fact that it essentially sold out its initial print indicates to me that it exceded Atlus' expectations.

demi

Riviera is boring, nothing stands out, it was just so average. Soooo averageeeee

But it's better than Lufia: Ruins of Lore

Worst game ever

I buy any GBA RPG that comes out nowadays, so I really don't have any regrets, I love any sort of portable RPG.

ethelred

demi said:
Riviera is boring, nothing stands out, it was just so average. Soooo averageeeee

Worst game ever

I buy any GBA RPG that comes out nowadays, so I really don't have any regrets, I love any sort of portable RPG.

I do not believe your game impressions.

Except with Lufia: Ruins of Lore. That game really was shit.

demi said:

Worst game ever

I really liked Riviera, I actually liked how scripted it was.

But Lufia... Just thinking about the money I spent on that game makes me want to puke all over your head sir!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
pancakesandsex said:

Treasure Hunter G was alright but got boring towards the middle of the game when your movement would become severely restricted. Music and graphics kicked ass though.... and Evolution on DC wasn't bad for a near launch RPG.

Top Bottom