• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen games should have digital limited editions (art book, ost, making of, etc.)

RedSwirl

I just bought SMT IV, looked at the box, which is the same price as the eShop version, and said "shit like this is why people buy physical games still." Then I relaized thatif Atlus tried they could've just included a digital version of this book and a soundtrack download to buyers of the eShop version before a certain date or something. The game already supplants its physical manual for a digital one, why not the whole strategy & design book with 3D effects?

Steam already let's you get digital deluxe editions of games that come with digital versions of extras like art books, sound tracks, and featurette videos. That goes without mentioning all the stuff GOG gives you with every game you buy there. Right now on PSN you can get gold editions of games with all the extra DLC and stuff and some soundtracks separately but that's about it I think. Next gen why not throw in the digital art books and making of features for a slight upcharge? Earthbound on Virtual Console also comes with a digital version of the old player's guide.

I guess the main question is how would you view some of that content on a console. The extra videos are a no-brainer, and PSN and XBL already sell music. For art books though I guess it would have to be a PDF or eBook or something that you could copy over to your computer or tablet. Maybe even just a pack of super high-res png files and wallpapers.

Jawmuncher

Would be interesting since it would give more incentive. All they would really need to add is better options to storefronts and systems to handle getting goodies like that.

Bsigg12

Would be interesting since it would give more incentive. All they would really need to add is better options to storefronts and systems to handle getting goodies like that.

The storefront for Xbox Live and PSN for next gen are 2 things I'm eagerly awaiting a reveal of. I hope they have cleaned up their respective stores and made them more user friendly.

Jawmuncher

They wouldnt even be special then everybody would be sharing them and stuff

Well the stuff like soundtracks could still work. I know PSN you can buy them straight to the PS3. Could be useful to add them to your console from the store and use as custom tracks?

The storefront for Xbox Live and PSN for next gen are 2 things I'm eagerly awaiting a reveal of. I hope they have cleaned up their respective stores and made them more user friendly.

Yeah I'm really hoping they get the stores right from the get go.

Honestly i think it would be nice espcially getting a nice substantial artbook with lots of pre production work or even a nice soundtrack. However i cant help but think that it will make the games cost more or will require more sales or something to that degree

Limited editions will really be the main thing I miss next gen. unless they bring out a version in stores which contain a digital download code instead of a disk will all the goodies (toys, statues, figures, books, dvds ect) as a normal limited edition. Im going to have to give it up. Digital versions are just much more important to me.

Jawmuncher

Limited editions will really be the main thing I miss next gen. unless they bring out a version in stores which contain a digital download code instead of a disk will all the goodies (toys, statues, figures, books, dvds ect) as a normal limited edition. Im going to have to give it up. Digital versions are just much more important to me.

I think something like they would be a great middle ground. I could see Atlus offering a option like that. Hell that's basically what PC games at retail do nowadays.

Top Bottom