• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Feb. 17 investor meeting Q&A now available online (Japanese)

Forkball

Scanning through it, there's not a whole lot of interesting bits minus the frequent QOL mention and that Iwata wants it to contribute to the March 2017 fiscal reports.

Where is my secret Metroid Maker announcement?

Kinda dull, tbh. Some talk about amiibo in Japan selling differently to the US, since the toys-to-life category isn't really a thing in Japan yet (Skylanders and Infinity are both niche).

Some talk of them doing experiments with amiibo that aren't plastic figures or cards in the future too.

Also, he mentions having a lot they need to change, like making better use of smart devices and character IP to drive their core hardware/software business.

QOL department is separate from others, made up of staff from the hardware division, both software divisions, and the systems department.

L~A

Kinda dull, tbh. Some talk about amiibo in Japan selling differently to the US, since the toys-to-life category isn't really a thing in Japan yet (Skylanders and Infinity are both niche).

Some talk of them doing experiments with amiibo that aren't plastic figures or cards in the future too.

Also, he mentions having a lot they need to change, like making better use of smart devices and character IP to drive their core hardware/software business.

QOL department is separate from others, made up of staff from the hardware division, both software divisions, and the systems department.

Yeah, looks like the April meeting will be the big one with some possible megatons.

And cool to know a bit more about the teams for QoL are composed of. I wonder who's in them, though.

jariw

It also seems like Iwata was the only one at the Q&A this time. At the October 2014 Q&A, Iwata was joined by Miyamoto and Takeda, where Miyamoto was the only one that hinted anything that would be of interest to gamers.

antonz

Dull as expected. Iwata made it pretty clear he wasn't going to budge and say anything until next meeting. Of course based on whats been said about the QOL I have a pretty good idea of what the concept is and Have seen a similar device though I am curious how they plan to deliver the fun aspect of it.

L~A

Hey L~A, do you think they will announce E3 plans by the April Summit/whatever?

Unless they're making another radical change (like they did in 2013 by chosing not to have a traditional press conference), I doubt it'll be mentionned during the investor meeting.

It'll probably be announced the same way they did last year: PR and YouTube video directly to players.

HUELEN10

Unless they're making another radical change (like they did in 2013 by chosing not to have a traditional press conference), I doubt it'll be mentionned during the investor meeting.

It'll probably be announced the same way they did last year: PR and YouTube video directly to players.
Even with QOL slated sometime within the next 18 or so months?

Yeah, seems like QOL, using smartphones, and character IP licensing will be the big focus at the next meeting.

Also, some confirmation that their ability to produce n3DS units last year was low, so couldn't guarantee high shipments for all regions during the holidays so made a decision to focus on Japan (and a low-population region AU).

There's a question on marketing and Iwata's answer makes it clear he knows it's no longer an age where you can just do a butt-load of TV ads and guarantee something will sell.

antonz

I think people are going to have to massively dial back expectation for the QOL. You can already see the general technology ResMed makes. Nintendo is likely going to try and make it more appealing with their quirky touch. This will more then likely be a total bomba in the eyes of gamers as Nintendo is trying to enter a new sector

Caramello

I think people are going to have to massively dial back expectation for the QOL. You can already see the general technology ResMed makes. Nintendo is likely going to try and make it more appealing with their quirky touch. This will more then likely be a total bomba in the eyes of gamers as Nintendo is trying to enter a new sector

Don't most Gaffers already know that QOL isn't related to gaming?

Bomba is a strange word choice in my opinion, but it's likely not going to appeal to gamers, that is true. It is, in Iwata's words, 'a new field, a new business model' for the company. I imagine it'll be as relevant to the gaming divisions as Sony Pictures is to PlayStation.

antonz

Bomba is a strange word choice in my opinion, but it's likely not going to appeal to gamers, that is true. It is, in Iwata's words, 'a new field, a new business model' for the company. I imagine it'll be as relevant to the gaming divisions as Sony Pictures is to PlayStation.

I am really curious to what Nintendo thinks it can bring to this market. Resmeds been doing this stuff for 30 years. They have their 150 dollar Sleep tracker device on the market already and much more expensive machines. The S+ just interfaces with smartphones so maybe Nintendo will try to broaden its interaction devices.

QOL won't be at E3. It has nothing to do with games.
This is Nintendo we're talking about. I fully expect QOL to be at E3. Don't really see why anyone would think otherwise. It may have nothing to do with games but its still made by Nintendo so it'll be at E3 if its ready to be shown off.

Edit: Tho not to the extent of some other companies. :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I wouldn't be so sure... just think about Vitality Sensor and stuff like that.

IMHO it's highly likely they'll show it at E3.

The Vitality Sensor was meant to be a game-enhancing device...

Yeah, the "it has nothing to do with games" seems quite the assumption.

When actually, Iwata stated this recently:

"While we feel that this is going to take two to three years after its launch, we expect the QOL-improving platform to provide us with new themes which we can then turn into games that operate on our future video game platforms, too," he said. "Once we have established such a cycle, we will see continuous positive interactions between the two platforms that enable us to make unique propositions."

And then there was that chart from a recent meeting of theirs that showed two way arrows between the two platforms (gaming and qol), or something of the like.

Point is, QOL may be dabbed into their games business a bit, though not directly.

Turrican3

The Vitality Sensor was meant to be a game-enhancing device...
Yeah, but Iwata has been talking for a while about the "expansion of the definition of (gaming) platforms", so QoL might still have something to do with games, in a broader sense.

"While we feel that this is going to take two to three years after its launch, we expect the QOL-improving platform to provide us with new themes which we can then turn into games that operate on our future video game platforms, too," he said. "Once we have established such a cycle, we will see continuous positive interactions between the two platforms that enable us to make unique propositions."

And then there was that chart from a recent meeting of theirs that showed two way arrows between the two platforms (gaming and qol), or something of the like.

Point is, QOL may be dabbed into their games business a bit, though not directly.

This man paid attention.

Well, yeah, the company makes stuff like Art Academy, Brain Training, and Wii Music. I'm sure there'll be some interaction between divisions, yes, but I'm not sure if the QOL product line itself will be attractive to most gamers, at least not in general. And I don't think that changes the answer to the question of whether they'll show this off at E3, either.

QOL won't be at E3. It has nothing to do with games.

If you need a NNID to use/access your QoL stuff on your smartphone then even if QoL at first will not be directly related to gaming, the usage of an NNID is still relevant to gaming Nintendo.

I am really curious to what Nintendo thinks it can bring to this market. Resmeds been doing this stuff for 30 years. They have their 150 dollar Sleep tracker device on the market already and much more expensive machines. The S+ just interfaces with smartphones so maybe Nintendo will try to broaden its interaction devices.

I think they mentioned that they want to bring their Nintendo style and make it fun, enticing to use health, culture etc products

Top Bottom