• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Franchise Sales Figures

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
as of May 2005

Nintendo said:
Total Mario series: more than 182 million units sold worldwide
Total Zelda series: more than 43 million units worldwide
Total Metroid series: more than 10 million units worldwide
Total Pokémon series: more than 140 million units worldwide
Total Donkey Kong series: more than 43 million units worldwide

Zelda and DK are tied?! And I'm amazed that a relatively new franchise like Pokemon is creeping up on a vintage franchise like Mario.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
oh but wait... there's more i missed. hardware sales figures

Nintendo said:
U.S. *
DS Hardware: 1.72 million units
DS Software: 2.75 million units
Worldwide +
DS Hardware: 5.27 million units
DS Software: 10.49 million units

U.S. *
GCN Hardware: 9.6 million units
GCN Software: 72.5 million units
Worldwide +
GCN Hardware: 18.50 million units
GCN Software: 156.29 million units

U.S. *
GBA/GBA SP Hardware: 28.5 million units
GBA Software: 117.2 million units
Worldwide +
GBA/GBA SP Hardware: 66.79 million units
GBA Software: 268.36 million units

Total Worldwide +
Total Hardware: 347.92 million units
Total Software: 2.03 billion units

* Source: The NPD Group
+ Source: Nintendo Co., Ltd.

Pokemon used to be friggin HUGE in America. It still is in terms of games but merchandise sells a lot less.

I thought Zelda did do a little more then that though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What would a series like Smash Bros fall under?
That has to be near Metroid, if Metroid is only at 10 mil.

And where is Kirby?

Pellham

Banned
Pokemon gaining so much is hardly surprising considering the last true blockbuster mario game was Mario 64, and every gameboy Pokemon game manages to break platinum regardless of version. The Mario spinoff titles do well for the Mario name, but don't even come close to performing as well as a Pokemon title.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Pellham said:
Pokemon gaining so much is hardly surprising considering the last true blockbuster mario game was Mario 64, and every gameboy Pokemon game manages to break platinum regardless of version. The Mario spinoff titles do well for the Mario name, but don't even come close to performing as well as a Pokemon title.

SMS **trackable (NA, JPN, UK, & few EU countries) comprehensive ww numbers as of April. (not including bundles)

2) Super Mario Sunshine 4,105,124**

Given the GC's userbase Pellham, (& this incomplete sales data) what would you consider blockbuster? It's Nintendo's 2nd best seller behind SSB:M, & is continuing to put up healthy numbers here in NA. Any *true* console Mario platformer, (not spin-offs) is guaranteed to eclipse a million+ in sales minimum.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Rhindle said:
Interesting that the US accounted for more than 50% of worldwide GCN sales. NOA saved Nintendo's ass this gen.

Well, it is the largest market Rhindle, what else would you expect?

milanbaros

Member?
So the GC currently has a game/hardware ratio of 8.45 ww and 7.55 in the US. Considering that the US makes up for roughly 50% of the GC market then that means that the GC must have a software to hdw ratio of wel over 9 overseas. The software will easily outsell hdw by those figures in the remainder of its life so that will only increase.

What was the N64 like?

jarrod

Banned
Pellham said:
I wouldn't say that... Nintendo's actually sold way more Mario games than Pokemon games this gen. All the Mario Advance ports and Sunshine being multimillion sellers alone.

Rhindle said:
Interesting that the US accounted for more than 50% of worldwide GCN sales. NOA saved Nintendo's ass this gen.
It's always been that way, except with SNES. NES moved 38 million units in the US (compared to 62 million worldwide), N64 moved 20 million units in the US (compared to 33 million worldwide) and GC has so far moved about 10 million in the US (compared to 19 million worldwide). The US has always been Nintendo's strongest market by a wide margin. SNES was the only exception, losing major ground to Genesis and moving only 19 million in the US (compared to 49 million worldwide).

Fei

I was just wondering what's the source on the numbers? Specifically the hardware, as I can never find it when I want to. Thanks.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fei said:
I was just wondering what's the source on the numbers? Specifically the hardware, as I can never find it when I want to. Thanks.

I remember seeing these numbers in Nintendo's financial report.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
I thought Zelda did do a little more then that though.

I think this has far more to do with the massive discrepancy in the number of titles between Zelda & that of Mario games. In addition many of the spin-off titles sell mllions themselves. But Donkey Kong? I'm perplexed on this one, exactly how many copies did he original DKC sell exactly? What other titles could account for such a large number of sales?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Li Mu Bai said:
I think this has far more to do with the massive discrepancy in the number of titles between Zelda & that of Mario games. In addition many of the spin-off titles sell mllions themselves. But Donkey Kong? I'm perplexed on this one, exactly how many copies did he original DKC sell exactly? What other titles could account for such a large number of sales?
The original DKC sold around 10 million copies, I believe, and the other two games both did at least 5 million, I think.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Perhaps the Donkey Kong franchise includes massive numbers for DK & DK Jr. Arcades, home consoles of all sorts...

Top Bottom