• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Goes DMCA on Switch Emulation

Drell

Simple!
Put hardware inside the dock that makes it faster and more efficient. We have thunderbolt now, so id assume nintendo could put a GPU the power of a 1050ti in the dock. add more memory, and a better cooling solution. Sell it for 100-200 dollars as an accessory, or as a bundle with the OLED switch that bumps the price up to 450/500. TOTK runs at 60fps at 1080p now, everyone's happy. People get their "pro" model (or rather, accessory) and Nintendo doesn't even need to make a whole new fucking system with improved specs in order to do so.

Literally a concept i'd thought up for YEARS now.
And then the power difference between docked and undocked modes becomes abysmal.

Please tell me how pirating modern day accessible titles is a reasonable excuse for the Switch, where it's titles are entirely accessible just like PS5 or XSX? They aren't hiding them, they are available right there in plain sight.

Also I'd love to know what your potential solution would have been to produce a better-performing piece of hardware at an affordable manufacturing cost that meets the design standards of the Switch? You have seen the price and performance of the Steam Deck, yes? Have you noted it's release date, and that it feasibly would not have been possible in 2017?

You can make all the excuses you want about the hardware and the absurd accessibility for modern games, but the point is there are people who use the tools for pirating. In this case, anyone currently playing TotK is pirating the software, no matter your stupid pre-order status. Because surprise surprise, you don't have the game yet, however are somehow justified in playing it early because "it will have shit FPS anyway."
I never argued it was reasonable. You can get upset and yell at people who are pirating Switch games all you want. Won't stop them. I am just telling you why people are doing it more for the Switch than for other platforms. Nintendo made a trash piece of hardware that cannot run their games at decent framerates or resolutions for 2017 standards. Nintendo made the poor decision of making a hybrid console. Sure, people love playing their games on the go, but I guarantee you if they made a dedicated home console with better specs for the same price, it would sell way more. Why? Because people don't want to play their games at trash resolutions and framerates.

You think the casual tech illiterate consumer would bother learning how to pirate Switch games? Most of the people in the emulation scene are technically competent internet users who have beefy PCs, which probably means they are gaming enthusiasts who like higher fps and resolutions for their games. What a surprise that a lot of them resort to emulation instead of using Nintendo's garage tier hardware!

Top Bottom