• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Labo announced

Vaev

Did you completely ignore the Update portion of the article? Or the title of the article?
Apologies, I just went back and reread it. Had a bit of a hard time sifting through what was reported prior and post update. That does bring up a good question though, can these kits be recreated even if just one piece of the cardboard is damaged? I know there are some IR sensitive films/reflectors that allows the IR camera to detect movement, but I imagine there are other ways to DIY this

Last edited:
i think thread participants have done a good job already disscusing the main pros and cons regarding this concept. Some things i think we should consider:

As of now the Switch user base is composed of early adopters: traditional videogame users and Nintendo fans. So in this sense Labo is targetting a niche subgroup within the already stablished user base. Basically a user that is into the "Maker" market or one that is a parent.

i think the most interesting disscussion is with those that are super enthusiastic on the prospect of what this will do for the Swicth in terms of reacing and capturing new audiences: The "Lapsed" or "Non" gamers. The people with this mind set should consider that there's a 370 U.S. price wall to enter the garden. This a pretty high wall to climb for the "Non Gamer" that sees this and is genuinly interested... 370 for cardboard and Appstore looking software. It's both a big psicological and monetary barrier.

To get some perspective, the closest Wii equivalent of course is Wii Fit. Fit ended up being one of the most succesful console peripherals in history, yet this had some advantages over Labo:

images

• 1)250 U.S. for a console that already appealed to the Non Gamer user base and 90 for the high quality Balance Board and software. That's 340 vs 370/380 to access Labo.
  • 2)The concept of improving one's Health is far more appealing and important to justify an investment than what basically amounts to a curiosity toy.
  • 3)The indurance and longevity of the accessory.
i was aware of the purpose of the IR camera like adding a cheap Dpad or scroll wheel. But i envitioned in other ways. For example:

Biometrics: Is hard to tell without knowing the specs of the sensor.But if it is capable of measuring blood pleasure i was thinking about a bracelt where you slip the Right Joycon and it tracks your excersise rutine. Or maybe relaxing software as a continuation of the Wii Vitality Sensor.

Card/Amiibo Game: This one have been asking before the Wii U launched. Basically the Smash Bros equivalent of a card game. The NFC or IR camera can be put to good use with this type of game. Both alternatives are cheaper to implement than Labo.

In terms of Edutainment and the adoption of Labo as an education and learning tool by institutions lays on if Nintendo opts or not to include programable software so users can create their own contraptions. This alone would limit the Labo concept potential.

It would be very benefitial if Labo takes of, not just for Nintendo, but for a lot of other companies that could enter the Switch market in this way. Companies that are away from the traditional videogame software market.

Another potential use for this is if the game packaging can incorporate Labo functionality. As an example imagine special editions of family games, like Joshy, an the box itself can be transformed into a ToyCon.

Bare in mind that this post is more concerned with Labo in terms of what it means to Non gamers and if it could become the next "Blue Ocean" vessel for Nintendo. It's not talking about if it will be successful but how much it will be.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sorry if this has been answered, but if you buy the robo set do you get everything in the other set too? Or are they two different game cards, which would make this expensive!

Kinda hoping it’s one card and then add on cardboard sets with DLC, but something tells me it won’t be :(

Edit: ahh I just saw the pics with info. So it’s different game cards... so... Jesus that’s going to be expensive... may just get the one then :(

Last edited:

Silvawuff

I like the direction this represents, but I totally agree that cardboard was probably not a good material choice. Would it change things if this kit was plastic or metal instead?

I have not have a Nintendo console for ages but I have to say I give Nintendo props for doing these sorta things. it's creative, kids will like it, and it's cheap to produce for them and can get that investment back for sure. I wonder if they put in any piracy countermeasures. like is the switch controller only going to recognize their stuff due to some kinda printed on bar code or something? other wise people might just make their own.

Floyd

Replacement seems like an easy fix. Buy your own cardboard. Go online, download the cut out parameters off a website, print them out and cut away.

Crazyorloco

I let my 2 kids watch the trailer before school (7yo girl and 5yo boy) they asked if they could have it and build the piano tomorrow... I love making things with my kids (im a furniture designer/builder) so we're quite a creative family.

This concept looks tonnes of fun and i know once people see what can be done and how much fun kids will have they'll come round to the idea.

My boy was asking for a big cardboard box to play with 2 days ago as he wanted to pretend he was on a spaceship.

I see this as fantastic for parents. I’m getting one.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm not gonna defend this further because I KNOW the astroturf is gonna come and sway everybody to the easy side, which is hating on it.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
So what's the difference between this and Nintendo's other plastic accessories like the wheel or gun or rackets etc? Except this is cardboard and might break easily? Oh and needs assembly.

My kids finally watched it BTW and had no comment. I expected them to like it. Also isn't it cheaper to just buy my kids a cheap toy piano than spend more on this and have to assemble it plus the risk of my Switch dropping whenever they fight over the cardboard piano?

Last edited:

Airola

So what's the difference between this and Nintendo's other plastic accessories like the wheel or gun or rackets etc? Except this is cardboard and might break easily? Oh and needs assembly.

You build them yourself. You learn the mechanics of how different objects work. It's pretty much a scientific building set for kids, but with added value of them being video games at the same time. Some of the objects seem to be pretty complex with lots of moving parts that interact with each other, and I think I heard somewhere that some were able to test it and it takes quite a while to build the more complex sets. They are not supposed to be just add-ons for controllers. They are supposed to be things that help kids learn the mechanics of objects and some even seem to teach kids a bit of how to code moving mechanical objects and stuff like that.

If you think they are just cardboard versions of basic controller accessories you have misunderstood the point completely, and I don't know what video you have watched to not understand it because the point is very clear in that reveal video.

This is something that I really want to see succeed, not for gaming impact (though if good software comes from this initiative, excellent), but for educational impact. This is the the kind of thing we need more of - technology encouraging and assisting in active learning, rather than the passive "let the computer do it" attitude that's been growing over the past decade. If this succeeds and grows, this could be great for children's education in general, and that's never not worth getting excited about.

This could get Nintendo and the Switch direct exposure in markets no game console has ever dreamed of penetrating. Just think - at the same time as I'm in Gamestop picking up DKC Tropical Freeze and the Street Fighter Collection, a parent or teacher could be in Hobby Lobby or Barnes & Noble picking up a Labo kit for kids. This is software for the same system, being sold in completely different marketplaces with completely different demographics. Incredible.
It really is incredible. Nintendo has taken it's hybrid console and added yet more value and versatility to its purpose. Your scenario there is something to wonder at.

My kids finally watched it BTW and had no comment. I expected them to like it. Also isn't it cheaper to just buy my kids a cheap toy piano than spend more on this and have to assemble it plus the risk of my Switch dropping whenever they fight over the cardboard piano?
I believe that these are different than those plastic accessories. The cardboard seems thick and sturdy; I don't believe these things will be simple cardboard and break too easily. The interaction with the pieces and the hands on approach to these creations become a fun learning experience which creates the sense of discovery. This is the software that is going to showcase the joy-cons' features; it wasn't 1-2-Switch.
Edit: My mind was lost in thought with the possibilities of Labo. The actual software may be too basic for any real spark of the imagination. Whatever it may be, I look forward to witnessing how my nephews and nieces interact with it.

Last edited:

Z3M0G

I know - that's what I was trying to say.

There are no free templates or replacements. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...pplying_extra_cardboard_replacements_for_labo
Nobody should expect free... but instead replacement/extra cutouts sold seperately for 5-10-15 dollars.

They would be dumb not to... if i had two kids of age for this, id buy one set with the software, and an extra cardboard pack for each kid. Hell, the wife would kill me if i left her out...

The pretty much absolutely have to be doing this... especially if they promote coloring and personalizing your creations. You can't have an entire family not being able to each make their own fishing rod, or own piano...

And they can keep pumping these out and selling them without worrying about environmental footprint... I really can't say enough how incredibly significant this is! Plastic toys might need to simply stop some day. As we get more and more environmentally conscious, recyclable toys like this will become the norm. Nintendo is setting a precedent with this one.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
When parents see an advert for this, they will think "this is better for my kids, then just sitting in front of a screen".
I think this is going to be rather popular with kids and families.

Also, will 3rd parties be able to make there own labo stuff for switch?

Last edited:

NahaNago

It's an interesting idea but the cardboard and price is a major negative. I think they should have gotten together with another toy company and had them create a mega blocks/lego like type set that you could connect to the switch that you can create however you want. Just buy a game set or random set and build want you want. Personalize your own wheel, house, gun, or whatever Nintendo or the customer can think of, a one half minecraft/ the other half lego hybrid.They didn't think big enough in my opinion.

ShodanMAN

Well, it sure looks like some people get it.

1HTQcUfl.png

I'm not surprised - it's always been that overwhelming negativity (and overwhelming exuberance) here is never reflective of the real world.

I smell scalps

I haven't seen this much enthusiasm for a paper based gaming peripheral since Wonderbook and that lasted.......Ow wait.

Sorry for my cynicism but I can only see this as a short lived fad, nothing more. Kids would soon move on to the next thing. Now if Nintendo started making Amiibo's for every Pokémon and have that connected in some way to the Pokémon 'Switch' game that's coming, that would be huge. A much more popular form of Skylanders.

Last edited:

JnFnRu

As a long standing Nintendo fan, I am not excited by this at all (probably cause im 30 yrs old, 31 in 2 days). Also as a WiiU owner, the mini direct wasn't the most exciting, then Labo.... Nintendo give me something to get excited about in this drab January.

Z3M0G

It's an interesting idea but the cardboard and price is a major negative. I think they should have gotten together with another toy company and had them create a mega blocks/lego like type set that you could connect to the switch that you can create however you want. Just buy a game set or random set and build want you want. Personalize your own wheel, house, gun, or whatever Nintendo or the customer can think of, a one half minecraft/ the other half lego hybrid.They didn't think big enough in my opinion.
Or they thought "No more plastics"

It seems to lean more towards the EDUTAINMENT side of toys.
The software has explanations on how the system works, to encourage STEM-like thinking.
Example here with an interactive interface showing how the IR sensor inside the Piano detects the keys:
eU9R5wi.png

If you look at the site, they also hint at a visual programming interface (a bit like Max MSP or Pure Data but simplified) to extend and customise the capabilities:
BeQKJ9k.png

In a zoomed in version of the image you can see that it says "My Toycon" as default creation name as if you were creating a custom interface. The button on the left says "
inputp.png
input", that's probably from where the "touch" box square came from. The button on the middle says "
middlep.png
middle", probably apply some transformation on the signal. There is a button on the right that I bet says "
outputp.png
output" based on the shape, probably from where the "vibrate" box square came from.
During the video, you can see the user sliding a line from a box's "output" to another box's "input", which is how it works in most visual programming languages.

All in all it's a clever technology display that use the Joycon's HD rumble (to move the bug car), IR sensor (Piano, Robot backpack) and Gyro sensors in innovative ways. Now to see if the software actually hold up (customisation, quality of the explanations).

If the customisation level is powerful enough, there could be a long-lived Maker community that sprout around the game.
If the customisation level allowed by Nintendo in their game is not good enough, I can definitely see some indie/third party developer developing their own (cheaper) interface to interact with the joycon's camera, motors and sensors freely.

Last edited:

Jaruru

It seems to lean more towards the EDUTAINMENT side of toys.
The software has explanations on how the system works, to encourage STEM-like thinking.
Example here with an interactive interface showing how the IR sensor inside the Piano detects the keys:
eU9R5wi.png

If you look at the site, they also hint at a visual programming interface (a bit like Max MSP or Pure Data but simplified) to extend and customise the capabilities:
BeQKJ9k.png

In a zoomed in version of the image you can see that it says "My Toycon" as default creation name as if you were creating a custom interface. The button on the left says "
inputp.png
input", that's probably from where the "touch" box square came from. The button on the middle says "
middlep.png
middle", probably apply some transformation on the signal. There is a button on the right that I bet says "
outputp.png
output" based on the shape, probably from where the "vibrate" box square came from.
During the video, you can see the user sliding a line from a box's "output" to another box's "input", which is how it works in most visual programming languages.

All in all it's a clever technology display that use the Joycon's HD rumble (to move the bug car), IR sensor (Piano, Robot backpack) and Gyro sensors in innovative ways. Now to see if the software actually hold up (customisation, quality of the explanations).

If the customisation level is powerful enough, there could be a long-lived Maker community that sprout around the game.
If the customisation level allowed by Nintendo in their game is not good enough, I can definitely see some indie/third party developer developing their own (cheaper) interface to interact with the joycon's camera, motors and sensors freely.

I think that's the big part the majority is missing out. Nintendo does not only offer a packaged peripheral. They also encourage third parties and players to create their own creations/games.

Nintendo Labo
MAKE PLAY DISCOVER

mrkgoo

You build them yourself. You learn the mechanics of how different objects work. It's pretty much a scientific building set for kids, but with added value of them being video games at the same time. Some of the objects seem to be pretty complex with lots of moving parts that interact with each other, and I think I heard somewhere that some were able to test it and it takes quite a while to build the more complex sets. They are not supposed to be just add-ons for controllers. They are supposed to be things that help kids learn the mechanics of objects and some even seem to teach kids a bit of how to code moving mechanical objects and stuff like that.

If you think they are just cardboard versions of basic controller accessories you have misunderstood the point completely, and I don't know what video you have watched to not understand it because the point is very clear in that reveal video.

Pretty much. Those that see this as no different than plastic accessories but made with cheaper , flimsier materials is really missing the point.

There are entire sections of "DIY" crafts and hobby activities for kids. It's like saying why would I buy a balsa wood model boat, or a cardboard model dinosaur, or any of the numerous cut-out-fold-and-glue-tabs paper craft sets for my kid when there are better toys made out of plastic?

THe idea is that the kids get involved with putting something together both as an actual exercise but also to learn how these things can come together. It's supposed to spark an understanding of how things work on a mechanical and practical level as well as inspire the creative process to maybe come up with their own ideas.

I don't know about some of you here, but I spent a great deal of my childhood messing with glue, tape and cardboard. Figuring out how to make a cube from a flat piece of card may sound like a pointless skill, but having a base understanding of that kind of construction process is part of the foundation of practical problem solving.

It just sparks my imagination into seeing if you can mess about with the system by making your own modifications. Like what happens if you change the strings in the robot set so the arms are the legs and vice versa? Or can you scale up the toy piano to use life size keys?

Eh. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I'm in. I love the idea.

Yes it's novelty and likely won't hold interest for as long as a hundred hour game, but it's not meant to. And you won't have a bunch of stupid plastic accessories.

Even if the Labo concept might not be of ones personal interest its worth to pay attention and have a basic notion of how it works because "Photo Sensors" substituting electromechanical parts has the potential of becoming a next step for video game interfaces, in terms of how they are manufactured and how inputs are handled when applied to more traditional controllers. Some scattered thoughts I had about this in the past can be found in this thread:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/long-overdue-controller-features.475774/page-5

Electro optical or photoelectric sensors can potentially allow to simplify the components inside the controller like the circuit board. And also track a far more complex set of “states” that alter the input. In this sense think about a sort of “controller core” that just contains the image, motion sensors, basic circuitry and battery than can be attached to different modules of varied shapes and button layouts that are easy to swap and cheap to manufacture.

Or imagine a controller that tracks the deformation of a surface by the fingers of the user. What this could basically mean is a controller that tracks a vast amount of finger motions beyond “pushing down”. This controller could also distinguish which finger is making an input so the interface becomes more human like, instead of training the user to relate a game action to an arbitrary button label like “Press A to Jump”, the action would correspond to an specific finger like use Right Thumb to Jump.

Specifically speaking of what we saw in the trailer (I haven’t found the IR Sensor specs) an interesting Toycon to analyze is the piano. It has 13 keys and 4/5? adittional modifiers on top. This means the image sensor is tracking a total of 18 elements of varied sizes, shapes and moving speeds, some of them rather quick (the piano keys) and a combination of them. This is at a 6/7” without the using of any additional lens optics as far as I’ve seen.

Again, i lament the fact not much of the specs are known. Always wandered if the image sensor had enough range to resolve the basic shape of the TV screen so we could have a lightgun peripheral that worked 1:1 in relation to the screen. This could be another potential revival of the Light Gun genre. With very cheap gun shells.

i think people have provided really good answers about the differences to just plastic toys. Howeveri want to point out that certain key elements like joints, grooves and rotating parts are made of more resistant materials like plastic.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Who's going to bother making that shit. We're in a world where we need immediate gratification. No one wants to sit down and make these things, especially for that expensive price for a bunch of cardboard. Other than die hard Nintendo fans, most people can't be bothered.

Google Cardboard works because they give that shit literally for free. This isn't free.

I never have liked Nintendo's side projects. When I had a gamecube I didn't care for the Gameboy advance connectivity. With the wii u i didn't care for amiibos and I'm not that impressed with the labo announcement now. While I enjoyed the wii u, I would have been much happier if nintendo had scrapped the controller screen altogether and simply focused on making more games. I love nintendo for their games.

If my kid wants to do cool science projects though I'll buy electronic building kits and such. For labo, I feel like the novelty is in putting the contraptions together. But once built i just dont see kids spending their time playing the software side of labo when they have games like splatoon zelda and mario sitting next to their console stand. Perhaps I'll be wrong and that's fine.

So kudos to nintendo for trying to put something out that is educational but that's not really their strength imo. There are much cheaper alternatives too.

NicknameMy

Neo Member
Did you actually notice that their side about Labo includes: "You will be able to program your own software using Labo?"

ZcbiSZD.png

Last edited:

geordiemp

Who's going to bother making that shit. We're in a world where we need immediate gratification. No one wants to sit down and make these things, especially for that expensive price for a bunch of cardboard. Other than die hard Nintendo fans, most people can't be bothered.

Google Cardboard works because they give that shit literally for free. This isn't free.

Agree, there will be a big disconnet with a parent thinking "oh, little timmy will learn how to build and learn"

Little timmy "I want to shoot other kids in COD"

mrkgoo

Agree, there will be a big disconnet with a parent thinking "oh, little timmy will learn how to build and learn"

The bigger disconnect in that scenario is the one between the parent and child to begin with. You don't think a parent would know whether their child would enjoy labo or not beforehand?

That said, I think even if there were an older child that were into the shooters more than anything else (and I do know many), I still appreciate the attempt at something new and different and interesting. Just because "little Timmy" may nevertheless be interested in such a thing doesn't mean they should ever stop trying new things.

For sure "little timmies" exist for sure but I think it a bit cynical to suggest that they are the biggest proportion of kids out there.

Casanova

Y'all wild... This looks dope. The motion control features they've introduced in some of their games so far have been more than impressive (ARMS, Mario Odyssey, etc.). More and more schools and libraries are promoting craft and Makerspaces - and this fits in perfectly with that educational narrative. I think Labo definitely has a shot at success.

It doesn't interest me at all but I think the concept it's quite intriguing.

And Nintendo coming up with those kind of eccentric accessories doesn't surprise me anymore.

DiscoJer

Eh, look at how popular Minecraft is. Much more popular than COD among kids.

The question to my mind is just how much creativity and freedom kids will have, and how durable/easy to use the cardboard is.

$80 cardboard....never change Nintendo, never change.

clearly designed for kids..... to destroy them in seconds so parents will have to keep shelling out for them.

LordRaptor

This is why Lego sells like shit... wait, what?

The Hermit

They discuss about the contraptions that are shown but not announced. It seems there might be a driver/flight set. That would be sweet

LEGO.

tkscz

Playdough wants a word with you.

ehead

$80 cardboard....never change Nintendo, never change.

clearly designed for kids..... to destroy them in seconds so parents will have to keep shelling out for them.

I just wanted to say that the prices given for the bundles include actual game carts. Also, there are actual people (kids included) who are into this stuff, and do put some value into 'em.

Business-wise, I do agree with you. These are easily replaceable, and can be manufactured quickly for that easy buck. But I can't help but look at it from another perspective; I am still amazed at how creative the engineering/design team are for making these sets, and augmenting them with Switch tech. I look forward to seeing these Toy-cons in motion (as in hands on).

ShodanMAN

Well after 12 months or so gone, I think it's safe to say that myself and several others here were right in predicting LABO would be (at the very most) a short term fad that wouldn't get enough ground swell in popularity with the kids of today.

Sparda

Banned
Well after 12 months or so gone, I think it's safe to say that myself and several others here were right in predicting LABO would be (at the very most) a short term fad that wouldn't get enough ground swell in popularity with the kids of today.
But era said it will become a great success for Nintendo. People will eat a crow...

Zannegan

The first two seemed like tech demos. The vehicle one looked more interesting/complete (in a Pilotwongs sort of way), but, alas, I don't have room to store the cardboard contraptions in my tiny Tokyo apartment, so the central gimmick/selling point is a no-go.

I think to really work as a "maker" game, you'd need a more open-ended videogame design to match the open-ended creativity of the real-world crafting element. Something like Sony's Dreams is the only example I can think of, but I'm not sure that game will find its audience either. *shrug*

Top Bottom