• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Responds To Smash Bros. Pro's Callout, Wants To Keep Scene Grassroots

collige

Banned
Calling out Nintendo for not throwing money into an old ass game with no return was the wrong way to approach things. I'm fine with the approach they've taken so far.

A port doesn't make sense financially because the Melee community could easily reject it, especially when they're used to playing on old hardware and CRTs for so many years, and Switch owners want something new to play instead of a game from generations ago.

Again, there's no reason whatsoever the Melee community would reject it unless Nintendo went out of their way to fuck up the game. At the bare minimum all they would have to do is add 1080p/16:9 and use the PAL balance changes at it would still be a massive upgrade from the status quo while anyone with a decent knowledge of the scene could easily identify a dozen easy fixes and quality of life improvements that literally no one would complain about. These are all things that the community has fixed over the years via mods but can't be included in tournament play due to a lack of standardization. No one likes playing on CRTs and the community has also embraced emulated Netplay despite it obviously being a suboptimal way of playing.

I don't expect them to put real dollars into Melee. But I feel the competitive community in 4 is so large they are just really missing a great opportunity not to really put some money down.

Kiter

Neo Member
The average Switch owner would buy the latest Smash game, not an Hd copy of smash. Their nostalgia is served by the new game. Mario Kart and Smash games are similar enough to each other that average users will prefer the newer versions.

Heard about that NES Classic Mini and all of its obsolete games people (would) love to buy?
People don't actually want what they want, trust me!

Thats because those companies supported the sequels and at least attempted to make sequels that the competitive players wanted to play. Brawl was a legitimate attempt to neuter competitive play in the series so you basically just had competitive Melee existing on its own for what, 11 years?

No company with a franchise that moves over 15 million units per entry prioritizes less than a 100k customers lmao.

Based on what? A Melee HD would bring in plenty of fresh blood into the scene by making it far more easier to join it. Melee fans play on CRTS because it's the best option. Dolphin isn't 100% accurate and just connecting a Gamecube/Wii to a monitor/HDTV adds horrendous upscale lag, something a Melee HD wouldn't have to deal with.

Melee is too hard.

Nintendo has come a very long way in a short amount of time from not even wanting Smash streamed at Evo, to sponsoring Evo themselves and encouraging these type of communities. I think even more so now with there pushes with Arms and Splatoon.

I can definitely understand Hungrybox's frustration, but Nintendo has been making a pretty strong effort to understand and support this stuff. This is new to them, and there's no way they could have expected this kind of thing for Smash, and have just caught on to it a few years ago and making an effort to adapt. They are learning as they go.

Man people love fake news.

MrMephistoX

Melee is the 2nd most popular fighting game inspite of everything working against it. By not investing in one way or the other nintendo is losing out and I dont buy this grass roots PR bullshit. The grassroots has proven theres alot of interest and now its nintendos job to step in and fuel that growth, but they wont because nintendo of japan has some dumb ideas.

Do you still see Capcom pushing Street Fighter 3 at Tournaments? It's two versions behind and yes the fanbase is vocal but in the grand scheme of things it's not profitable enough for them to get behind a game that came out in 2001. An HD Remix with new characters would be completely badass but I can see them porting the Wii U version and making it Deluxe before that ever happens...virtual console would be a great idea though.

I still think it was kind of amazing that Nintendo even made Gamecube Controller Adapters and Gamecube controllers for the Smash Brothers Wii-U.

Revven

Do you still see Capcom pushing Street Fighter 3 at Tournaments?

This argument isn't a good one to make because 3S has zero tournament presence to begin with. We're talking about Melee with 1,000+ possible entrants for some tournaments compared to 3S which has zero tournament presence. This would be a good argument to make if 3S not only even had tournaments but if the sizes of those tournaments were in the hundreds to thousands (like Melee).

noqtic

Nintendo is definitely trying to get into the Esports scene (looking at you Arms,Splatoon, and Pokken), I dont think they want to go all in on Melee because of how old it is.

watershed

Banned
I have no issue with Nintendo's approach. Reggie had a good answer the other day, different than the one in the OP but similar about getting more people to play together, supporting the growth of competitive play, but not targeting the pro scene or leagues specifically. Something about not doing big money payouts but getting more people into the fun of local competitive play more broadly.

Tomohawk

HD remasters of beloved multiplayer games has been going on for a while now, do you people who have a thousands reason for why melee hd is a bad business idea think the same applies to these games. People bitching about old version being purer isnt unique to melee and developers have found ways to appease these ppl by including the original game. Also unlike those games melee is still massively popular and could easily cross a million going by the competitive scene size of current fighters that crossed a million.

E sports isn't a part of nintendos brand and people should learn to accept that.

Aside from recently starting the Nintendo Versus brand, they spent far more time at E3 hosting tournaments than they've done any other year, and probably much more so than any other publisher.

They like eSports now.
They're just hypocrites about Smash (for now).

Nairume

Banned
This argument isn't a good one to make because 3S has zero tournament presence to begin with. We're talking about Melee with 1,000+ possible entrants for some tournaments compared to 3S which has zero tournament presence. This would be a good argument to make if 3S not only even had tournaments but if the sizes of those tournaments were in the hundreds to thousands (like Melee).
The better comparison would be SF4, given that is something that was still very much alive when it was effectively abandoned for the next one.

Nintendo will use staged eSports format presentations as an extension of marketing efforts for current titles and nothing outside of that. To expect anything else is foolish, IMO.

That, and their association and participation in esports happens only when they think it's a good idea, to which they'll act like they're doing the community some gracious favor.

From today's Polygon article, another Reggie quote:
”Competitive gaming is all-inclusive of people playing online or together in person, while the term eSports has grown to incorporate a broad variety of things, including participation, sponsorship, staging and underwriting, etc," he said in an email interview. ”It doesn't always have a consistent meaning."

Sounds like they want to support tournaments and competitive play, but aren't interested in building a league of pro gamers.

I don't think another fighting game would have a pass if they slowed the whole thing down and added tripping. That was a direct result of sakurai not liking high level competitive play

All the wacky stuff was added for brawl and hyperfocused on in 4. Melee had like five fine-tuned modes and a high skill ceiling

Idk, he got pretty much all the credit for melee and made brawl as hard as he could. He can design some hella movesets and has tons of good ideas, but I feel like he has George Lucas syndrome and is put on a super weird pedestal where other people doing the same thing with their fighting games would be annihilated

The George Lucas comparison is about as off base as you can get.

It's actually really interesting to see how one sect of the fan base of the series considers there to be a "correct" way to make the game, almost like they're entitled to some specific vision or direction for the series.

I have no issue with Nintendo's approach. Reggie had a good answer the other day, different than the one in the OP but similar about getting more people to play together, supporting the growth of competitive play, but not targeting the pro scene or leagues specifically. Something about not doing big money payouts but getting more people into the fun of local competitive play more broadly.

Yeah this is it, basically.

They're not going to support the old game when they have a game on a platform that's still selling (specifically Smash 3DS now).

As others said, Melee HD would simply cause controversy because they would inevitably remove wavedashing (at the very least of any gameplay changes), not to mention any balancing for HDMI that would cause the CRT-toting crowd to grumble.

I can't even begin to describe how frustrating these topics can be on Neogaf. This post is so clueless it's astounding.

Let's be clear: Within a reasonable margin of error, it's safe to say that the ENTIRE competitive Melee community wants Melee ported to Switch. They also wanted it ported to Wii U. They just want it on new consoles in a digital format so new people can play without tracking down old, outdated hardware and overpaying for a physical copy of the game. We aren't attached to our CRTs other than the sense of pride that we're all crazy enough to deal with they horrible machines because we love and care about the game so much.

If Nintendo decided to do help the scene with just a simple Virtual Console release, all of the competitive players would be happy. This means that Nintendo literally wouldn't have to do anything but build a Gamecube emulator and load Melee onto it. Considering Melee was the best selling Gamecube title by far and still has an incredibly active community, it's safe to say that Melee alone would recoup the cost of making that emulator: if not, I'm sure Nintendo would make it back by re-releasing other GCN titles.

This means Nintendo doesn't have to change ANYTHING. We're literally making it as easy for them as possible; if you're emulator is good, then all is well in the world. If they choose to upres it, add a PAL/NTSC switch, add online play, etc. that would be greatly appreciated, but it's not necessary. Additionally, no one is asking for gameplay changes, they have zero reason to do so, and even if they did make some, it makes literally no sense and shows a clear misunderstanding of the game mechanics to think they would or even could "take out wavedashing." They absolutely could rebalance some characters; hell, if they're really crazy they could even add a few. But they can't take out movement systems without breaking the entire game; not just from a competitive perspective, but in general. Nintendo doesn't need to, wouldn't want to, and has no real means to remove the parts of the game that make Melee competitive. Those facets are much more integral to the game systems than many here seem to believe.

This idea of Melee fans being super picky and that there's really any reasonable chance of them rejecting a Melee port is ridiculous. And a port alone could do wonders for Melee'ss scene, while selling well. It's an arrangement that could make all parties happy.

If Reggie doesn't want to set up a league, that's fine and, honestly, it makes sense. I don't think anyone is really all that upset about that either, because realistically we've all seen Nintendo's tournaments and, while fun, they aren't really conducive to top-level play. But not having a Melee HD (short hand for any modern way of playing Melee) is astounding, and I wonder if misunderstandings like the ones we see in this thread are a reason why we haven't seen it by now.

Edit: And, to the point of Hungrybox's original point: I think part of the frustration actually does come from the types of tournaments they have at E3. Those are cool and fun and a great way for Nintendo to help introduce people to competitive gaming while also selling their games: they're honestly great marketing tools for both the game and the scene. However, you can look at the three tournaments they had this week and see Smash everywhere. Invited players, organizers, commentators, production, and more. Everytime they want to do something like this they look to the established Smash scene for help. And that's great! But it starts to feel a little dirty when they use our enthusiasm and love for Nintendo (because most Smash fans are also huge Nintendo fans, and are also huge contributors to their other eSports scenes) when it's convenient to them, but then ignore it the rest of the year. I know they're a business, and in a way our excitement for their products is really only a means to get our money, but it's kind of shitty to then also use that enthusiasm to further market their games and make more money off of others without giving us anything in return. And that doesn't have to be money. They tweeted this today:https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/875839776091324416 and you can see the replies are full of people just saying "Thank you."

That level of support has only ever seen appreciation from smashers in my experience, and it takes such little effort on their part. They've brought booths with game demos to a couple of tournaments in the past as well, and that's always well received as well.

It really just does everyone well to keep Smash and Nintendo on good terms with each other, and it takes such little effort from Nintendo to make it happen. I don't know why, outside of Bill Trinen and JC (who I love) they seem so scared to acknowledge the scene at all.

Also, one last thing: In terms of sales, obviously a port of Melee would sell well on Switch. But I see a lot of people talk about how it would cannibalize a Smash 5's sales (which is ridiculous to me, as we don't apply this same argument to any other franchises on the virtual console). If this were true, than all it takes is spacing them out. If they released Melee HD this year, and then the Smash 4 port next year, then all problems are alleviated. I think this is part of the reason why we're seeing people like Hungrybox get a little more aggressive about expansion right now. Some people think that if we're going to get Melee HD, now's our best chance.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Its great to hear Nintendo responding but I think the big problem is the grassroots action for community events wants this support but when given throws it back saying it isn't grassroots anymore. Nintendo fostering communities through the tools they give them is a great idea, and means they aren't stepping in and just throwing money around to make tournaments happen like a lot of other eSports games do. By growing these communities and then bringing the bigger ones on stage allows a diverse nature of Nintendo eSports, instead of just big titled matches that only a select few can ever compete in.

To me that's where Reggie is coming from, and what I can see in the community. Complaints at the moment seem to be coming from those who want Nintendo to step in and put their weight behind them which is fair enough, but when they do they then argue its ruining the community-grown stages which makes no sense. In the long run I think Nintendo will continue to adapt and understand the community needs, hopefully implementing the best tools possible for eSports competition.

Secret Owl

Neo Member
E sports isn't a part of nintendos brand and people should learn to accept that.

Except they've been making some big moves into eSports, starting with Smash 4.

They began sponsoring tournaments and putting on (a few) of their own. Right now they're pushing Arms, Splatoon 2, and Pokken DX as potential eSports. They also pushed Pokken a bit when it was just a Wii U / arcade game.

Whether these games are "traditionally hardcore" or "competitively deep enough" in the eyes of the FGC is another matter entirely. It's hard to know yet. Keep in mind, it took over a decade for most trad fighting game communities to respect Smash Bros. as a valid fighting game - let alone one that is worthy enough to be considered a competitive eSport.

What people actually need to accept is that Nintendo isn't going to put major effort into fostering the competitive community of a 16-year-old game that seems to be perfectly capable of fostering itself (and also loves said game because of exploits that undermine much of the intended gameplay / balance.)

Also, they are one of Pokemon's "legal parents" and the Pokemon championships have been a major eSport for a very long time.

Tomohawk

Do you still see Capcom pushing Street Fighter 3 at Tournaments? It's two versions behind and yes the fanbase is vocal but in the grand scheme of things it's not profitable enough for them to get behind a game that came out in 2001. An HD Remix with new characters would be completely badass but I can see them porting the Wii U version and making it Deluxe before that ever happens...virtual console would be a great idea though.
Street fighter 3 is not even as close to the size of melee and its player base for the most part has migrated. If street fighter 3 was as popular as melee and coinhabited the space with sf4 capcom probably would have released an hd remake ages ago or a street fighter 3-2. Given melees prior sales and current stature theres no universe in which a remake isnt profitable.

Top Bottom