• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spain Interview (DS Cooking in EU, Wii for Christmas, Zelda TP SKU...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

escandell

Spanish website Vandal.net interviewed Nico Wegnez, Marketing Director in Nintendo Spain and one of the men behind the Stars Catalogue, among other things.

There is an article about their experiencies with Wii games in the spanish presentation (Wii Sports, Wario Ware, Duck Hunt demo...), and the interview. Everything is in Spanish, so I will make a very brief translation of the most important tips.

200662823561115ah.jpg

About Zelda Twilight Princess
They don't know if it will be in two SKU in Europe, or just one with both the GCN and the Wii versions. They're studying right now the cost for the final user and the viability of these options in our continent to make the right choice.

About Wii launch
Nothing really new, but says that it may be in the street just ten days after Japan (v.g., last week of October in Japan and first half of November in Europe), or more (two, three weeks, you know), but not months later. Anyway, it will be in the stores before the Christmas campaign (commonly, it starts the 15th November in Spain), and we will not suffer the same delay we had with N64 and GCN.

About Virtual Console and online pay
They don't really think europeans pay so easily online with their credit cards, so they will try to sell in stores pre-pay cards to make it easier for everyone as an alternative. Games in VC may be between 5-10 euros (just direct change from 5-10 US dollars).

Band Bros (Daigasoo! Band Brothers, Jam with the Band): an edition for every country
Nintendo Spain submitted to Japan this idea: Sell an special edition of Band Brothers in every european country. For example, in Spain there would be Estopa (popular music group) songs. They are really interested in that choice for the game because it can give them really high revenues, but they haven't had any response from NCL yet.

DS Cooking and English Training in Europe, maybe this year
DS Cooking (cook action/simulation game from Nintendo, similar to Cooking Mama) will be distributed in Europe. Also English Training (also in UK? Anyway, I will buy it to improve my English... I'm sorry for my mistakes!). Both can arrive to Europe this year.

Zelda Phantom Hourglass: Maybe this year too
They're not sure, but they would love to make a DS/Wii campaign with Zelda as main theme, but they're afraid the game will finally arrive to Europe in 2007.

NDS business in Spain
650.000 NDS since launch until 23rd June (Lite launch). 15.000 Lites in first 2 days. They think that those are really good number for Spanish market.

Bad GCN numbers
Less than 300.000 GCN units sold in Spain in all its lifespan (maybe 275k-280k, they don't have exact numbers). They think they failed with this console, and feel sad about it.

About Baten Kaitos 2
Nothing new yet, they're still thinking if they are going to sell it in Europe (I hope so!)

Do not expect nothing too big about Electroplankton
They don't think that this game (or no-game, whatever) can sell a lot, but they think that what is really important is that gamers can choose if they want it or not, and just go into a store and buy it. It's important for them to give the biggest catalogue possible.

I think that those are the most important tips in the interview. I hope this topic will be useful for someone, and, once again, I'm sorry for my broken English... I did my best.

escandell

JonathanEx said:
Nothing mentioned about stars cat? Interesting interview, and English Training is on the NoE release list.

Yes, he says they would like to make the stars from the catalogue available to change them for games of the Virtual Console, although they know it has legal implications with european laws (as it would make stars equal money), so it's really hard. At least they are trying!

Moreover, Nico said that he was one of the minds behind the idea of the Stars Catalogue, and that he feels that they're not using it as they could... which is so strange. Japan copied them, but they have better prizes!

They may also sell Wiis in special packages for VIP users (stars + money) as they did with NDS at launch. Nothing completely decided yet.

Trurl said:
So, is Band Bros. only coming to Europe and not America?
It's not sure, but looks like that, yes. We will see, anyway.

RSP said:
Those CGN figures are sad indeed. Doesn't spain have 50+ million people or something?
Yes, aprox. 50 million, not really sure to be true. GCN has been a complete failure in Spain (there are, on the other hand, aprox. +3 millions PS2s in Spain, and Xbox also sold less than 275k). At least, NDS is selling really good. 650k and 15k Lites in 2 days are really BIG numbers for Spain.

Fallofmart said:
Thanks for translating that :) was interesting.
Thank you :)

Calidor

RSP said:
Those CGN figures are sad indeed. Doesn't spain have 50+ million people or something?

about 44m yeah, in comparasion there's about 3m of PS2.

Anyways I expect the DS to hit 1m shortly after christmas, incredible.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
How did RE4 do in Spain for GC?

You'd figure it do well for the console, since horror in general is so big in Spain.

escandell said:
DS Cooking and English Training in Europe, maybe this year
DS Cooking (cook action/simulation game from Nintendo, similar to Cooking Mama) will be distributed in Europe. Also English Training (also in UK? Anyway, I will buy it to improve my English... I'm sorry for my mistakes!). Both can arrive to Europe this year.

Unless that is a different game than the one launching w/ the pink DSL, that is not similar to Cooking Mama... it is a cookbook.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nice idea about the pre-paid cards for VC games. I think one of the main reasons why WoW is possibly as successful as it is, is due to pre-paid card subscriptions. Not a lot of people have access to a credit card (I myself being one of those till recently) and having retailers stock pre-paid purchases so you can choose what VC game you want on Nintendo's WiFi network when you get home would really work IMO.

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
Your English is not bad at all. Thanks a lot for translating!

I agree that the pre-paid cards are a good thing, though something like this was inevitable with a good chunk of Nintendo's fanbase being pretty young and the VC looking to play a big part of the Wii strategy.

And you Europeans are lucky about Band Bros! I wish it would come out in North America.

escandell

meltpotato said:
Unless that is a different game than the one launching w/ the pink DSL, that is not similar to Cooking Mama... it is a cookbook.
Really? I thought it was a Cooking Mama style game, one with a couple of mice. I think I saw it Famitsu long time ago.

John Harker said:
How did RE4 do in Spain for GC?

You'd figure it do well for the console, since horror in general is so big in Spain.

There is no way to know it for sure. They don't use to give info about sales periodically in Spain, and, moreover, companies like Nintendo or Konami are not affiliated to the organism (ADESE) that gives this info in Spain, so they never get reliable data about sales.

Maximilian said:
Your English is not bad at all. Thanks a lot for translating!
You're welcome! And about Band Brothers... well, let's wait and see if this stuff comes real. At least they're doing their best, and I hope NCL trusts them.

COCKLES

being watched
If DS Cooking in the UK doesn't have a Gordon Ramsey tie-in then FAILED OPPORTUNITY.

Just think of the fun with the Microphone!!

"DON'T ****ING BULLSHIT ME! I WANT THAT ****ING FONDU COOKED NOW I'VE GOT 20 CUSTOMERS WAITING YOU LITTLE SHIT!"

0,,4581314,00.jpeg

stalker

escandell said:
or just one with both the GCN and the Wii versions.

Please nintendo, take this route. I have always said it is the best solution they could adopt.
And you do not have to think about the pricing: price it as a Wii title, no less, no more.

Chittagong

Gold Member
escandell said:
Band Bros (Daigasoo! Band Brothers, Jam with the Band): an edition for every country
Nintendo Spain submitted to Japan this idea: Sell an special edition of Band Brothers in every european country. For example, in Spain there would be Estopa (popular music group) songs. They are really interested in that choice for the game because it can give them really high revenues, but they haven't had any response from NCL yet.

Evidence #322902 that Nintendo has no process at all. If they had built localization into the development process, NCL could have just typed an e-mail telling that "yeah, that'll cost you XXKeur, the team has bandwidth during week XX/0X or you could just outsource the work to Z for YYYKyer.".

COCKLES said:
If DS Cooking in the UK doesn't have a Gordon Ramsey tie-in then FAILED OPPORTUNITY.

"DON'T ****ING BULLSHIT ME! I WANT THAT ****ING FONDU COOKED NOW I'VE GOT 20 CUSTOMERS WAITING YOU LITTLE SHIT!"

0,,4581314,00.jpeg

If that ever happened, or any cooking game with him i'd buy it.

SuomiDude

escandell said:
About Virtual Console and online pay
They don't really think europeans pay so easily online with their credit cards, so they will try to sell in stores pre-pay cards to make it easier for everyone as an alternative. Games in VC may be between 5-10 euros (just direct change from 5-10 US dollars).

This is great news, if there's going to be those cards you can buy in stores. I really do hate using credit cards, and actually I don't even have one because of it. Not so sure about the price of those games, but 5-10€ for some of the best NES, SNES, N64, TurboGrafx and MegaDrive games doesn't sound too bad. Hopefully it goes lower though.

RSP said:

You could never imagine the way GC has failed in spain. Some stores are selling it at ridiculous prices, just to finish the stock, and people buys tons of PS2's at 150€ instead :lol

Xbox 360, PSP and DS have been a success instead.

Besides, population in Spain is about 45M people or something like that. (I suppose that counting illegal inmigration the 50M mark is highly exceeded :lol)

loosus

Banned
GAF needs English Training. The admins ought to insist that you show an image of your newly purchased English Training cartridge before you can post on the forums.

SolidSnakex said:
If that ever happened, or any cooking game with him i'd buy it.

Seriously. It would be awesome.

A young chef starting from nothing try to be the youngest to get three Michelin stars with Gordon Ramsay as his mentor.

escandell said:
Yes, he says they would like to make the stars from the catalogue available to change them for games of the Virtual Console, although they know it has legal implications with european laws (as it would make stars equal money), so it's really hard. At least they are trying!

Moreover, Nico said that he was one of the minds behind the idea of the Stars Catalogue, and that he feels that they're not using it as they could... which is so strange. Japan copied them, but they have better prizes!

They may also sell Wiis in special packages for VIP users (stars + money) as they did with NDS at launch. Nothing completely decided yet.

It's not sure, but looks like that, yes. We will see, anyway.

Yes, aprox. 50 million, not really sure to be true. GCN has been a complete failure in Spain (there are, on the other hand, aprox. +3 millions PS2s in Spain, and Xbox also sold less than 275k). At least, NDS is selling really good. 650k and 15k Lites in 2 days are really BIG numbers for Spain.

Thank you :)

Thanks for posting this, it's an interesting interview.

Just wanted to correct a couple of issues. Spain has around 44 million people, it's still somewhat "far" of the 50M mark (you know, birth rate decreasing and that stuff). By comparison all of the other important European markets are well over 50M people. And there are already 4.5 million PS2s in the market, not 3M. This market's completely owned by Sony.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
COCKLES said:

0,,4581314,00.jpeg

you little DONKEY, get it right!

jesusraz

With Baten Kaitos Origins confirmed for the US, to not have it in Europe would be scandalous! Real shame that there's no faith in Electroplankton, especially as DJs have shown interest in it since last E3 and it was pushed at the Keep Evolving event here in London in January. I still reckon it could surprise us all...

Thanks a lot for the translation - really was a great read!

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Hi everyone.

I had checked out Vandal today and there's this message on the site:

"The interview published with Nicolas Wegnez from Nintendo Spain, has been removed as it was containing misleading information. Nintendo has made no announcements concerning Wii launch dates or any potential software bundles. Nintendo does not comment on rumour and speculation."

Guessed everyone should know about this.

http://www.vandal.net

tanasten said:
Hi everyone.

I had checked out Vandal today and there's this message on the site:

"The interview published with Nicolas Wegnez from Nintendo Spain, has been removed as it was containing misleading information. Nintendo has made no announcements concerning Wii launch dates or any potential software bundles. Nintendo does not comment on rumour and speculation."

Guessed everyone should know about this.

http://www.vandal.net

=(

pinches pendejos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom