• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch emulator Yuzu officially comes to Android

Ozriel

M$FT
Jojo All-Star Battle is lookin mighty fine on my phone :messenger_fire:

KZH83zo.jpg

Nice! What model, and how’s the performance?

Edit: Lol Bernoulli Bernoulli what a coincidence, eh?

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
If Nintendo doesn't go after Google like they're going after Valve (making an official request for taking the software listing down) then that's just proof Nintendo is a bully that only engages in their shenanigans when they're sure they can out litigate the little guy.

Sue Google, Nintendo. Do it!

Don't actually do it, stupid. You're gonna get burnt!
It's because the one on steam was giving keys wich is the illegal part
For yuzu you have to have your own keys and Nintendo can do nothing about it

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You know, if Nintendo's hardware wasn't so ancient, nobody would be able to emulate much of anything on a phone.

BlackTron

Your elaboration was about the advantages of dragging people to their ecosystem, nothing more... and i clearly gave a counter-argument to that

An official emulator IS their ecosystem.

Now your turn.

Right, and what was the REASON for dragging people into their ecosystem? You can't do anything on that emulator but...play emulated games. The point is getting you on their platform where all their products are available. Once you buy a Switch for Smash, there is a very good chance you will use the Switch to buy many indie games instead of the PC version. What are you saying, that Nintendo will have an official emulator, and people will buy their version of third party games to emulate on PC instead of the native PC version?

BOTW led the charge for Switch. Can you imagine if BOTW was available on PC day one. Nintendo might have a 50% smaller install base of Switch users today. Because of that careful/wiser brand management Nintendo is far richer today than if BOTW was PC day one, and the reason is not just BOTW sales numbers on Switch. It is much deeper than that. Basically, Nintendo knows the value of their IP and is not willing to dissipate it which is why they are so successful. But I don't have to validate my opinion to someone on a forum saying "ur wrong try again", you've already seen my opinion (twice) now and if you don't like it or more accurately don't get it, that's perfectly okay.

Guilty_AI

Right, and what was the REASON for dragging people into their ecosystem? You can't do anything on that emulator but...play emulated games. The point is getting you on their platform where all their products are available. Once you buy a Switch for Smash, there is a very good chance you will use the Switch to buy many indie games instead of the PC version. What are you saying, that Nintendo will have an official emulator, and people will buy their version of third party games to emulate on PC instead of the native PC version?
You lack vision sir, its their official emulator. You'd make an account, play online with other Switches, access to the eShop to buy nintendo games, DLCs or whatever else. It would be a fully fuctional switch just the way you know it, except its running inside a PC.

As for the second point, If people have a gaming PC that could run this emulator, wouldn't they already be buying the native PC version instead of the Switch one? A person with a gaming PC that gets a Switch wants either: A. Nintendo exclusives, which now they would buy through the emulator now. B. A cheap and convenient portable gaming device to play certain games, in which case they'd be getting the console anyway

BOTW led the charge for Switch. Can you imagine if BOTW was available on PC day one. Nintendo might have a 50% smaller install base of Switch users today. Because of that careful/wiser brand management Nintendo is far richer today than if BOTW was PC day one, and the reason is not just BOTW sales numbers on Switch. It is much deeper than that. Basically, Nintendo knows the value of their IP and is not willing to dissipate it which is why they are so successful. But I don't have to validate my opinion to someone on a forum saying "ur wrong try again", you've already seen my opinion (twice) now and if you don't like it or more accurately don't get it, that's perfectly okay.
50% numbers taken out of thin air, 'brand management' again without good explanations, "my opinion, don't have to prove anything" card.
ur wrong try again

Last edited:

BlackTron

50% numbers taken out of thin air, 'brand management' again without good explanations, "my opinion, don't have to prove anything" card.
ur wrong try again
So you can just make predictions about what would happen if they did this and it's 100% fact that trumps all of my predictions about what would happen -double standards. No matter what, everything either of us says is speculation because it hasn't been done yet. For example, you say "50% numbers taken out of thin air" because there is no hard proof, right after lecturing exactly how people would behave in a hypothetical scenario with no proof.

You're right, maybe without BOTW they would have sold 75% less Switch systems, not 50%. Who knows. Beyond the existing base of 3DS people, BOTW was an important game that got MANY people to buy a Switch who didn't even know they wanted a portable switching system at all until Zelda forced it on them. Once they had it, they realized the utility and started buying games on it even if they had gaming PCs. Leading to Nintendo passively printing money with a deluge of games on their eshop with devs spamming it like an app store. Now you think Nintendo should just make a complete consumer-friendly Switch for PC where they have to ensure perfect emulation for every last Angry Birds clone on a hardware Steam exists. Why don't you just go run Nintendo already.

Guilty_AI

So you can just make predictions about what would happen if they did this and it's 100% fact that trumps all of my predictions about what would happen -double standards. No matter what, everything either of us says is speculation because it hasn't been done yet. For example, you say "50% numbers taken out of thin air" because there is no hard proof, right after lecturing exactly how people would behave in a hypothetical scenario with no proof.
I'm explaining things step by step, why x happens, how y leads to z, all with logically sound progression - or you're telling me a person with a gaming PC that buys a Switch would magically start ignoring their more powerful PC in favor of the Switch, even for third parties? And if all they buy on the switch are exclusives, wouldn't it be the same with an emulator? It's all a sale on the eShop regardless of whether he's doing it through the console or this emulator. And if they want the advantages of a cheap convenient portable, they will get the switch, not the emulator.
Heck, in these circumstances, the way things are now, its very likely the user might just get an used Switch and used copies of the games, netting a total of 0 profits for Nintendo.

Meanwhile, you're making up 50%, 75% numbers, giving no rime or reason for them other than meaningless terms like "brand management". Spot the difference?

You're right, maybe without BOTW they would have sold 75% less Switch systems, not 50%. Who knows. Beyond the existing base of 3DS people, BOTW was an important game that got MANY people to buy a Switch who didn't even know they wanted a portable switching system at all until Zelda forced it on them. Once they had it, they realized the utility and started buying games on it even if they had gaming PCs. Leading to Nintendo passively printing money with a deluge of games on their eshop with devs spamming it like an app store. Now you think Nintendo should just make a complete consumer-friendly Switch for PC where they have to ensure perfect emulation for every last Angry Birds clone on a hardware Steam exists. Why don't you just go run Nintendo already.
Even assuming this is the case, its already done is it not? People already know the value of a portable (not like they didn't already with how popular mobile gaming is/was), no convincing needs to be done anymore, they can freely adapt their business now.

You're also forgetting a very important detail. Emulators will keep being developed, regardless of whatever bullying Nintendo ensues, and people will keep emulating games. It already exists, whatever hypothetical "brand devaluation" you assume this would cause is already out there, TotK even got leaked and playable on emulators before the official release on the consoles. Still went on to be one of the fastest selling games of all time, demonstrating the whole concept you're putting fort here is complete bollocks.

The question is not what would happen if Nintendo made an emulator. The question is whether Nintendo will capitalize on a market that already exists with clear demand for it. Or leave the money on the table, wasting their time and energy on fruitless witch-hunts.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Even assuming this is the case, its already done is it not?

Wrong. Nintendo has leveraged their IP over and over again to clear a path to success. Once they "give it up" and drop exclusivity, they know it's over. It will be chasing short-term profits at the expense of long-term. I think we should agree to disagree here.

Guilty_AI

Wrong. Nintendo has leveraged their IP over and over again to clear a path to success. Once they "give it up" and drop exclusivity, they know it's over. It will be chasing short-term profits at the expense of long-term. I think we should agree to disagree here.
You mean successes like the Gamecube and Wii U?

BlackTron

You mean successes like the Gamecube and Wii U?

No, I mean successes like Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Game Boy, DS and Switch. Especially Wii and Switch, where they started in a bad position and leveraged IP to sell the most hardware units. Once you can get Mario and Zelda on PC, they lose the leverage they have to accomplish those feats. Even if it's not day one, just knowing it's coming eventually gives up all that leverage and they just dissipated astronomical intrinsic value.

Guilty_AI

No, I mean successes like Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Game Boy, DS and Switch. Especially Wii and Switch, where they started in a bad position and leveraged IP to sell the most hardware units. Once you can get Mario and Zelda on PC, they lose the leverage they have to accomplish those feats. Even if it's not day one, just knowing it's coming eventually gives up all that leverage and they just dissipated astronomical intrinsic value.
Wii, Switch, DS, notice how their most popular recent pieces of hardware all have unique and appealing propositions executed well?

Besides, its hard for the argument you're making to hold water when other console makers are already doing it and still selling fine, ps5 in particular being very popular... and when those very same games you speak of are fully playable on the average PC day 1 already (or day -10 with TotK).

Last edited:

BlackTron

Wii, Switch, DS, notice how their most popular recent pieces of hardware all have unique and appealing propositions executed well?

Besides, its hard for the argument you're making to hold water when other console makers are already doing it and still selling fine, ps5 in particular being very popular... and when those very same games you speak of are fully playable on the average PC day 1 already (or day -10 with TotK).

As I said, sacrificing long-term strategy for short-term gains.

nemiroff

Gold Member
My TOTK is looking like that, ain't no way I'm playing the game on my Switch:

6qdD9a.png
6qdNLe.png
6qdFkx.png
6qdUlH.png
6qdcb1.png
6qdPak.png
Yup.. I bought and played it on my Switch, but after a while I just had to turn it off and set up a Yuzu configuration instead. Playing it in smooth 60fps/1440p with ReShade is just too good.

Tams

Only it's not going so well for Xbox (this forum has literally been flooded with 'lulz, no games' threads) and Sony are very selective with and carefully time their PC releases. Not to mention Sony getting mocked and people being disappointed at the lack of exclusives in their last presentation.

Further, both those consoles compete with PCs on price-performance.

Plus, you absolutely know PC users would just bitch about something if they did. Probably any accessories needed.

At the end of the day, it's Nintendo's IP and they've decided that it being completely under their control is best for them as a business and for the experiences.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Only it's not going so well for Xbox (this forum has literally been flooded with 'lulz, no games' threads)
They've been lagging behind since waaaay before they started porting their games to PC. Or rather, that is one of the strategies helping them to catch up.

Besides, being third place =/= doing poorly. They're still making billions yearly. Don't just go and take scheduled forum warring as reference.

Last edited:
Unlike other console manufacturers Nintendo makes a killing on actual hardware sales. Games releasing on PC might increase software sales but it would just as likely lower their hardware sales.
They are smart, but they are also dumb.

Nintendo is clearly stuck in the late 80s hardware paradigm where you need to control the hardware AND software in order to make money...

They want to be able to plan obsolence to be as early or as late as they please and also lock it's customers on trash proprietary subscription process.

But the result of all of this is that they are having exactly the same problems they faced at that time... Clone/compatible consoles making their games easy to pirate and distribute.

Yes... All Nintendo's "problems" are result of their own greed and dumbness.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
But the result of all of this is that they are having exactly the same problems they faced at that time... Clone/compatible consoles making their games easy to pirate and distribute.

Yes... All Nintendo's "problems" are result of their own greed and dumbness.

Problems, you say?

Zelda TOTK was leaked to pirate sites a week to release. And yet the game - the most expensive Switch game ever at $70 - still became the fastest selling Switch game ever, with over 10 million sold in 3 days.

Where’s that gif of that guy drying his tears with money? 😀

Problems, you say?

Zelda TOTK was leaked to pirate sites a week to release. And yet the game - the most expensive Switch game ever at $70 - still became the fastest selling Switch game ever, with over 10 million sold in 3 days.

Where’s that gif of that guy drying his tears with money? 😀

You're pretty dense huh?

Did you really missed the part of my post where I used "" to show sarcasm?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Looks like I've read a few times. It's not just here but in other places that were saying that you have to spend so much money and just to play this. The thing is is that a lot of us already buy phones. Regardless of how you want to view it, you can spend 100 or 1,000. Makes very little on relevant sense given that it's an essential device that we're going to buy regardless. Just like if you were to want to buy an expensive car it's 50,000 or used car. That's 5000. The bulking that serve you, but that entire price is going to get to the better performance tools. And if you're spending that much money on a $50,000 car, I'm sure you'll appreciate the luxuries that it brings much like our expensive phones. So that argument above price and having to invest so much on an expensive phone falls flat on its face.

Hugare

Buying my Odin 2 Pro today

Android emulation is getting better and better. Having dozens of consoles including PS2/GC/WII/Switch on a handheld is just nuts.

Yuzu is evolving fast, Strato (another Switch emulator) is being developed, Windows emulator also being developed ...

Android is on fire

The phones that are capable of running switch games are much more expensive than the actual switch.

Odin 2 is $300, and run circles around the Switch

Just booted up zelda in with everything turned up to max 4k 60fps mod bloody spectacular

Which device?

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Buying my Odin 2 Pro today

Android emulation is getting better and better. Having dozens of consoles including PS2/GC/WII/Switch on a handheld is just nuts.

Yuzu is evolving fast, Strato (another Switch emulator) is being developed, Windows emulator also being developed ...

Android is on fire

Odin 2 is $300, and run circles around the Switch

Which device?
On pc this was only thread could find didn't properly read title are we allowed discuss switch emulation on this site ?

Very sorry confusion very excited I was litamurally toggle from the hdmi from Switch to pc and couldn't believe the difference these emulators come along way its amazing

Last edited:
Top Bottom