• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo UK Interview on Rumored DS redesign and Revolution unveiling in May

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
E-Nature said:
LOL this interview once more showes me that NoE has NO IDEA on what's going on with Nintendo. I think sometimes they even know less than an average consumer knows!

yup, high hopes for a quick release of the new-tendo in this territory :/

A PR person can't divulge information like this, it would damage sales of an existing product.

So I wouldn't neccessarily say NOE didn't know about it. They'd be fired if they said or even strongly alluded to a redesign before the parent HQ did so.

Chittagong

Gold Member
E-Nature said:
LOL this interview once more showes me that NoE has NO IDEA on what's going on with Nintendo. I think sometimes they even know less than an average consumer knows!

Actually if everything is like before, a select few dudes in Großostheim are well aware of what's going on at NCL, but certainly not any remote sites such as UK.

Xellotah

When was this interview actually taken. Doesn't it usually take a bit of time before an interview and the actual publication?

DS Lite

nintendo_ds_lite2x.jpg

nintendo_ds_lite3.jpg

"Nintendo President Satoru Iwata today announced Nintendo DS Lite, a slimmer version of the best-selling Nintendo DS™. Also featuring brighter screens, Nintendo DS Lite will launch in Japan in March. Nintendo DS Lite will be less than two-thirds the size of the original Nintendo DS and more than 20 percent lighter.

Nintendo DS has enjoyed extremely strong sales in Japan and around the world, selling more than 14.4 million units worldwide. The Japanese sell-through of the existing Nintendo DS hardware exceeded 5 million within 13 months, which made Nintendo DS the fastest-selling video game system there.

Nintendo will announce more information about the availability of Nintendo DS Lite in North America and other territories in the future."

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/26/nintendo_announces_ds_lite/

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060126.html

Merlin

Banned

Huh? Do you really think he's gonna just confirm it in the interview if he did know something? And a "no comment" just sounds like he's admitting it.

I'm sure he did know about it, but he'd rather look foolish than lose his job.

Chittagong

Gold Member
EternalDarko said:
DS Lite

nintendo_ds_lite2x.jpg

nintendo_ds_lite3.jpg

"Nintendo President Satoru Iwata today announced Nintendo DS Lite, a slimmer version of the best-selling Nintendo DS™. Also featuring brighter screens, Nintendo DS Lite will launch in Japan in March. Nintendo DS Lite will be less than two-thirds the size of the original Nintendo DS and more than 20 percent lighter.

Nintendo DS has enjoyed extremely strong sales in Japan and around the world, selling more than 14.4 million units worldwide. The Japanese sell-through of the existing Nintendo DS hardware exceeded 5 million within 13 months, which made Nintendo DS the fastest-selling video game system there.

Nintendo will announce more information about the availability of Nintendo DS Lite in North America and other territories in the future."

:lol :lol :lol

NINTENDO UK PR FUCK OWNED!

cvxfreak

Chittagong said:
Actually if everything is like before, a select few dudes in Großostheim are well aware of what's going on at NCL, but certainly not any remote sites such as UK.

I have a feeling you knew all along.

chiwataavatar2oe.jpg

Xellotah

Merlin said:
Huh? Do you really think he's gonna just confirm it in the interview if he did know something? And a "no comment" just sounds like he's admitting it.

I'm sure he did know about it, but he'd rather look foolish than lose his job.

Thats right, its usually a bad idea to confirm something before the official announcement.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Xellotah said:
Thats right, its usually a bad idea to confirm something before the official announcement.

Right. Iwata would've had his balls if a UK person confirmed it ahead of the NCL release. If past experience is anything to go by, Nintendo Europe/UK knew all about it, but were keeping quiet.

I really like the new design, they've given me my Revolution stylings, love the d-pad....too bad I just bought a DS a month ago. Will have to sell that in a month or so I guess.

EternalDarko said:
DS Lite

nintendo_ds_lite2x.jpg

nintendo_ds_lite3.jpg

IS THAT TRUE!?!!?!? Nintendo UK has been really owned if it is :lol

Just also read it at gamefront.de :lol

The new modell is 16.800 yen, so it's actually a bit more expensive than the normal DS, right? Oh damn, I already feel the need to buy this thing :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Frankfurter said:
IS THAT TRUE!?!!?!? Nintendo UK has been really owned if it is :lol

check the giant sticky thread.

Merlin

Banned
Anyway, Gaybrush has said he's played it and he works for NOE if I remember correctly, so obviously this guy did know about it.

Danj

choplifter said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62609

Eurogamer: That's true obviously, but Nintendo does have a history of redesigning handheld hardware and there has been all this discussion about whether you guys are going to do a DS redesign this year.

David Yarnton:
If I turned around and said to my staff that we're doing something new they'd probably throttle me, because what with this last 12 months of product that we've done and also what we've got in the first quarter...

Eurogamer: Can you categorically rule out then that you'll have a DS redesign announcement at E3?

David Yarnton:
That's been rumoured, I don't know for how long, but we haven't got any plans at the moment. Nothing I know of.

David Yarnton is general manager of Nintendo UK.

060126.jpg
=

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Nintendo UK is like the French resistance. We know they exsist but nobody ever sees them or knows what they do.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Maybe this interview was held before the uk office heard about it (say a week ago). At least they've seen it before the announcement which is better than what it used to be I guess....

Major hardware (even revamps) are known across the board.

Come on, now, Nintendo is bad, but it's not this bad. It's not like Japan cooked this up overnight and just dropped it on the world: marketing and budgets are worked out months in advance before an announcment or even a leak is made.

What you're seeing is the 'new' way of denial, after the Zelda/Revolution cock up (which seems so true it hurts-- NGC Mag has no need to make this up). As earlier mentioned, "no comment" is as good as a confirmation. Denial of personal knowledge/awareness is far better, even if it means being brought to task in future interviews -- but thats what media training is for. It's not like his rep matters to public reading such interviews. His job, however, matters far more...

C.

Top Bottom