• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No TV app allows you to sort your digital movie library, how is this still possible in 2023?

TonyK

So, I want to build a digital movie library, but all the apps I tried (Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video, Rakuten, etc...) don't allow any control from the user. How can it be possible in 2023 when almost all media is digital.

I want to collect digital movies but I can't, as digital libraries in all apps are only a list of purchases. Apple TV put them, at least, in alphabetical order, but it assings automatically the genre of the movie, so, for example, you have the first two The Conjuring movies in Horror, but the third one is assigned to Thriller. And you can't do anything to sort them!

Why there is no movie app that encourages collecting? If one app allowed me to sort my collection as Steam does, I will buy a ton of movies.

Quasicat

Not sure if it is what you want, as it takes a bit of time to setup, but Plex has the ability to sort all of my digital movies. I even go through and change all of the posters to match their original theatrical release. I recently upgraded my Plex server on an M2 Mac Mini, and I’m thinking I’m good for the next decade.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Not sure if it is what you want, as it takes a bit of time to setup, but Plex has the ability to sort all of my digital movies. I even go through and change all of the posters to match their original theatrical release. I recently upgraded my Plex server on an M2 Mac Mini, and I’m thinking I’m good for the next decade.
Is that integrated with streaming services or just films downloaded and saved on a hard drive?

Rockondevil

Is that integrated with streaming services or just films downloaded and saved on a hard drive?
From my usage as a mega casual it has essentially everything whatever streaming service you select however when you go to watch it it links you to that platform.

It’s already sorted extremely well so that’s a massive positive.

Unrelated to your question but you can have albums from your HDD too which can have photos/videos you’ve taken too.

TonyK

I had it in PC years ago and I love it, but I used it for, ahem, downloaded movies, not purchased movies in streaming platforms. Dows it work in a TV with streaming platforms??

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I've tried going digital, but it's a pain in the ass.

For example, Amadeus is available on Google Play, but isn't on Amazon.

Or in some cases, the film can't be found on any service, like the 2003 version of Zatoichi for example.

I want a digital distribution service that allows me to purchase all my films in a single place that also contains a much bigger library.

Quasicat

I had it in PC years ago and I love it, but I used it for, ahem, downloaded movies, not purchased movies in streaming platforms. Dows it work in a TV with streaming platforms??
Along with Blu-ray’s that I have purchased, I use a program called PlayOn which can record from streaming services. It is completely legal as it is defined as a DVR service. This is also nice as I am able to keep programs that have been removed from streaming services.
There is a way that Plex connects to streaming services, but I am unfamiliar with how it works.

TonyK

I just tested it and it's not what I was referring. Plex does the same as Netflix and others but joining all your streaming platforms. But it's a chaos, you don't have control to sort the library. At least in the app for the TV.

I want a some sort of Steam for movies that works on a TV 😭

ReBurn

Gold Member
As long as you're using a digital storefront to build and host your library you'll never have full control over it.

I set up a Plex server and converted my physical media to digital myself using tools like bog-standard dvd ripping software, MakeMKV for blu-ray ripping along with Handbrake for mp4 encoding.

Setting up my own Plex server has allowed me the ability to control everything, down to the poster image for the movie or tv show. If there's a movie I want to add to my server I just buy the disc and convert it, then store the disc as backup. I can stream and download from my home server while I'm away. It's pretty nice.

BlackTron

I have a Plex server and you'd be surprised how often I still just plug a laptop directly into TV and open mp4 from windows explorer.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Movies anywhere has a digital library of your movies across service. From Apple to Amazon to Vudu if you link your accounts.

Plex if you want to build a home server. It is where I keep my theatrical versions of the Star wars movies.

Quasicat

I just tested it and it's not what I was referring. Plex does the same as Netflix and others but joining all your streaming platforms. But it's a chaos, you don't have control to sort the library. At least in the app for the TV.

I want a some sort of Steam for movies that works on a TV 😭
I’m sorry it’s not what you need, and I understand where you’re coming from. It’s actually what got me to run my own server. I have all of these movies between Google Play, Amazon Video, Vudu, and especially iTunes. There are Barbie and Strawberry Shortcake videos I purchased for my daughter who is now heading into adulthood. I have tried to figure out how to sort them into another section or even delete them from my account, but I couldn’t at the time (And it sounds like it’s still not possible). Good luck and I truly hope you can find a solution.

TonyK

Movies anywhere has a digital library of your movies across service. From Apple to Amazon to Vudu if you link your accounts.

Plex if you want to build a home server. It is where I keep my theatrical versions of the Star wars movies.
Oh, it sounded promising but it seems it doesn't work in Spain, it's only for USA 😭

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
All of the online digital movie retailers websites and TV apps suck and have very little functionality.

VUDU is the best one I've found personally, it's got okay filtering options and they added the ability to create custom lists that are helpful (but not great). As others have said, I ended up just setting up my own server (Jellyfin) and simply downloading/ripping the movies I own from VUDU.

Tams

There are if you're prepared to either:
  • Spend a fuckton of money
  • Sail the high seas
Though I've heard rumour that are people out there willing to sell access to their collections/booty.

Mere rumour, nay, legend. I do not condone taking on such a dangerous quest.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m shocked by this too. By this day and age I would have assumed that a pc app of some kind existed that pulled libraries together and stores too, then you could buy the products you want, for the best price, and manage your library. I’d love it if this existed.

Trunx81

Movies bought in YouTube can be put into folders. If this helps.
Of course, having a possibility to manage different accounts would be great, but as they all have to load up first, I don´t think it´s practicable.

Bojji

There are if you're prepared to either:
  • Spend a fuckton of money
  • Sail the high seas
Though I've heard rumour that are people out there willing to sell access to their collections/booty.

Mere rumour, nay, legend. I do not condone taking on such a dangerous quest.

With digital stores this fragmented and many movies not available anywhere torrents will always be the biggest film libary.

Top Bottom