• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-Traditional RPGs

The End

I've found that I'm completely bored with "traditional" JRPGs. I loved SMT:Nocturne, but DDS left me flat. I've gotten a dozen hours into Shadow Hearts Covenant, but I'm not motivated to go any farther.

Now, mind you, I've been enjoying Culdcept lately, as well as more "actiony" games like Contra, Alien Hominid, and some shmups.

So, I'm thinking of picking up either Baten Katos (CC has it for $10) or Ys, which I can find for $30 at a couple places.

Any suggestions?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I liked both of those choices. I'm an Ys whore, so I say Ys.

To be fair, that's straight up ARPG all the way, though.

The End

I played the OPM demo and got a kick out of it, but I also played the kiosk demo of BK and liked that too, that's why I came to you guys.

Any system? I've been having a lot of fun with X-Men Legends lately, which I picked up cheap. It's also an ARPG, but I'm enjoying the leveling up, choosing powers, stats, equipment and whatnot. Much better than I thought it'd be. Keep in mind I also like the X-Men, though (and thankfully it seems to be doing them justice).

Johnas

Obligatory Vagrant Story mention. Great atmosphere, nice challenge and really good story. It may be too different for you though, a lot of people here hate it with a passion. The graphics will probably be painful after playing PS2 games, also. Still an awesome game.

Not terribly long either, I think I had ~12 hours or so my first playthrough, but there is a learning curve at first.

Mejilan said:
I liked both of those choices. I'm an Ys whore, so I say Ys.

To be fair, that's straight up ARPG all the way, though.
I second this. I thought Ys VI was great. Highly recommended. Also, if you can find them, Drakan and Dual Hearts are cool ARPG's, as well as Legend of Mana for PSX (although that's more of a love/hate game)

Amir0x

Banned
sonarrat said:
You might want to give KOTOR a try, either on Xbox or PC. But only if you're a Star Wars fan..

Heh, when I saw your name in the thread I said to myself "I bet he reccomended KOTOR."

KOTOR is good, though, but I think Ok has played it already...though I can't be sure!

Oktober, totally buy BK because it's cheaper. And then with your extra 20 dollars, buy FLIPNIC, pinball awesome! ;)

Tarazet

Amir0x said:
Heh, when I saw your name in the thread I said to myself "I bet he reccomended KOTOR."

I didn't realize I was so predictable. :p But that's the first thing I think of when I think "non-conventional RPG," not just because the subject matter is so unusual for the genre, but also because the gameplay is totally different.

Amir0x

Banned
sonarrat said:
I didn't realize I was so predictable. :p But that's the first thing I think of when I think "non-conventional RPG," not just because the subject matter is so unusual for the genre, but also because the gameplay is totally different.

Yeah, KOTOR is a good choice definitely if you haven't played it. I'm not a fan of Star Wars and I still like it, so I think people should try it out. It's never going to be for everyone, but a solid choice nonetheless.

The End

Amir0x said:

KOTOR is good, though, but I think Ok has played it already...though I can't be sure!

Oktober, totally buy BK because it's cheaper. And then with your extra 20 dollars, buy FLIPNIC, pinball awesome! ;)

I've played quite a bit of KOTOR already. Light Side wasn't really my thing. May restart as Dark Side and see if I like it better. I loved Dark Cloud 2. One of my favorite games of the generation.

I did get a kick out of LoM too. Always though it was seriously underrated.

I'm probably going to go with Ys, just because it seems to be slipping out of print, and I'd rather not have to Ebay it.

Mejilan

Ys +1

Awesome.

Edit - Just a note. The demo had the blood and chunks like the original PC game it was ported from, but the final PS2 game removed all that.

Some purists would argue that the blood and chunks don't belong in an Ys game anyway, however.

The End

Would there be any reason to wait for the PSP version? I've heard that the original soundtrack, 2d-sprites, etc, are all unlockable in the ps2 version.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
BK is perhaps the most underrated and/or underappreciated and/or overlooked game this generation that deserves a look.

Get it.

Mejilan

The End said:
Would there be any reason to wait for the PSP version? I've heard that the original soundtrack, 2d-sprites, etc, are all unlockable in the ps2 version.

The PS2 version HAS the original soundtrack. It also has SOME of the music that Konami composed with the intent of replacing the original soundtrack with, but the fan outcry was great enough to cause Konami to keep the original music in. The new music was added to these mini-dungeon challenges (fully optional) that weren't in the original game anyway.

2D sprites are not in the PS2 game at all, unlockable or otherwise. You can unlock, however, the original anime cutscenes (instead of the atrocious pre-rendered ones), and Japanese VA instead of the US VA. (Original PC game didn't have any VA at all.)

To my knowledge, the PSP game will be a direct port of the PC game, 2D sprites, music, anime cutscenes, no extra content or changes. We'll see, however.

The End

Well, looks like I'll be getting both, probably. Assuming there's a way to bypass the firmware upgrade, that is.

Mejilan

I'll be getting both too. And I thought they had already released launchers to load games without firmware considerations? Or am I wrong? I haven't kept up.

Speevy

Banned
I don't much care for Star Wars at all. If anything KOTOR is a nice introduction to the series. And of course it's the highest rated RPG of this generation.

As for suggestions, I say try Baten Kaitos. I haven't played it, but I've been meaning to.

Mejilan

Though to reiterate my BK love. And no, it's not just the absolutely brilliant soundtrack. The gameplay, too, is very fun.

The End

Mejilan said:
I'll be getting both too. And I thought they had already released launchers to load games without firmware considerations? Or am I wrong? I haven't kept up.

I have a program that does that, but haven't bought anything to test it with. Honestly, I'll probably buy Ys PSP. I have faith in the PSP scene to do what needs to be done.

GaimeGuy

Mejilan said:
Though to reiterate my BK love. And no, it's not just the absolutely brilliant soundtrack. The gameplay, too, is very fun.
I still have no idea how Motoi Sakuraba made such a kickass main battle theme with basically just a drumset, a piano, and a violin. (I think there's a little bit of a guitar in there in the background, too)

Mejilan

GaimeGuy said:
I still have no idea how Motoi Sakuraba made such a kickass main battle theme with basically just a drumset, a piano, and a violin. (I think there's a little bit of a guitar in there in the background, too)

I don't know either, but The True Mirror is one of his strongest battle theme in years. Hell, that soundtrack has a ton of battle themes, and almost all of them are magnificent. And if you're looking for guitar, the Elec Guitar version of The True Mirror is also amazing.

GaimeGuy

Mejilan said:
I don't know either, but The True Mirror is one of his strongest battle theme in years. Hell, that soundtrack has a ton of battle themes, and almost all of them are magnificent. And if you're looking for guitar, the Elec Guitar version of The True Mirror is also amazing.
I know. I have the soundtrack. :)

Ironclad

Wow, that is tough choice. I've put plenty of time into both Ys and Baten Kaitos. Personally, I would tell you to get both and then play through both of them.

Sakuraba does a brilliant job with the Baten Kaitos soundtrack. There are a few sweeping tracks that fit really well into the game but it's really the battle music that completes the soundtrack. Chaotic Dance, True Mirror, True Mirror Elec Version, Vitrolic a Stroke, Glowing Cloud, they all work great, and add that extra punch to the boss fights. The gameplay is also top-notch. It's sad that people will be turned off by the card system, but it's actually very fun and works extremely well.

I can't say anything bad about Ys either, except for the platforming portions. They were absolutely misearable. Other than that, the game is a blast. However, if you get this game, I suggest you punch in the codes and get the Japanese voices. The English VA is absolutely terrible.

Mejilan

The platforming in Ys was dead easy. The only parts that were kinda challenging were in those Alma Trials added in by Konami, but those trials, in their entirety, were pretty shitty to begin with.

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
The platforming in Ys was dead easy. The only parts that were kinda challenging were in those Alma Trials added in by Konami, but those trials, in their entirety, were pretty shitty to begin with.
Yeah, they were easy, but I could swear that there was a delay between pressing the button and actually performing the jump. That was really the only part of the game that I thought could have used some tigthening up, otherwise, it's your typical Ys goodness. :D

Mejilan

The only thing that was stupid, regarding the platforming, was the dash jump. It was just poorly handled.

Ironclad

Agreed. The dash jump was the main reason why I considered the platforming so frustrating. Of course, once you get used to it, the platforming is really simple.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Yes on Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. The fact that you can get it for $15 nowadays makes me very sad.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm gonna start BOF:DQ later today :D

Anyways, I'll second Ys. Baten Kaitos has a lot of good elements about it (the graphics, and an interesting battle system with a lot of nuances. By the end of the game you can really feel like you've mastered the ins and outs of the system), but it also has a lot of bad. Slow paced story that doesn't really start to develop till 30 hours in, and parts where the developers just seemed like they were trying to piss you off (the tower in the underworld, and an insanely powerful end boss that attacks 3 times for your every 1 time, for instance).

Top Bottom