• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: U.N. Security Council Passes Syria Cease-Fire After Hundreds Killed In Bombing Siege

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...th-bombing-of-damascus-suburbs-kills-hundreds

The United Nations Security Council has approved a resolution calling for a 30-day cease-fire in Syria, following one of the bloodiest weeks of aerial bombardment in the war that has devastated the country.

In the eastern suburbs of Damascus, a region called Eastern Ghouta, nearly 500 people have been killed in a deadly escalation by the Syrian government that began Sunday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told The Associated Press. More than 120 of the dead are children, the group says.

"Airstrikes, artillery shells and barrels filled with TNT are being dropped on neighborhoods that are heavily populated by civilians who have no way to escape," NPR's Lama Al-Arian reports. "They're being forced into bunkers, and many of them can't even find the time to bury their dead."

The Security Council's resolution, which passed 15-0, demands "all parties cease hostilities" for at least 30 days throughout Syria to allow the safe delivery of humanitarian aid and evacuations of the critically sick and wounded.

The resolution, sponsored by Kuwait and Sweden, calls for all parties to immediately lift sieges of populated areas, including Eastern Ghouta. The cease-fire does not apply to military operations against ISIS, al-Qaida and other terrorist groups.

A vote on the resolution was delayed Friday as its sponsors worked to get a version Russia would approve. As NPR previously reported, most members of the Security Council had wanted to require the cease-fire to go into effect within 72 hours, but Russia had pushed for a looser timeline.

The Security Council's resolution, which passed 15-0, demands "all parties cease hostilities" for at least 30 days throughout Syria to allow the safe delivery of humanitarian aid and evacuations of the critically sick and wounded.

The resolution, sponsored by Kuwait and Sweden, calls for all parties to immediately lift sieges of populated areas, including Eastern Ghouta. The cease-fire does not apply to military operations against ISIS, al-Qaida and other terrorist groups.

A vote on the resolution was delayed Friday as its sponsors worked to get a version Russia would approve. As NPR previously reported, most members of the Security Council had wanted to require the cease-fire to go into effect within 72 hours, but Russia had pushed for a looser timeline.

While the Parkland shooting is still on every ones mind in the U.S. It's important to not forget what's happening in Syria.

If anyone wants a clearer understanding of the conflict, Vox did an excellent piece last year explaining the conflict in detail when it first started in 2011. With seemingly no easy solution in sight.

Atrus

Gold Member
I'm not sure if the resolution will work. I've been following the Syrian Civil War map on a daily basis and E. Ghouta is one of the last remaining rebel strongholds and the regime has already spent a lot of effort gathering forces to quickly retake it. With Turkey and its militias driving into Northern Syria, the government would also face pressure in trying to secure its Northern front by quickly mopping up all the rebel pockets.

The resolution may seem to work but as with Aleppo city, the government still retook the pocket.

As it stands, the rebels have no means of overthrowing the the regime at this stage without a second uprising, and I would figure Syrians themselves are war weary.

womfalcs3

Banned
Okay. Watching that video makes it even more confusing. I've always thought this war was complicated, but that video put it over the top. Looks like we'll be calling this war WWIII in the future.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the resolution will work. I've been following the Syrian Civil War map on a daily basis and E. Ghouta is one of the last remaining rebel strongholds and the regime has already spent a lot of effort gathering forces to quickly retake it. With Turkey and its militias driving into Northern Syria, the government would also face pressure in trying to secure its Northern front by quickly mopping up all the rebel pockets.

The resolution may seem to work but as with Aleppo city, the government still retook the pocket.

As it stands, the rebels have no means of overthrowing the the regime at this stage without a second uprising, and I would figure Syrians themselves are war weary.

What length do you think the U.S military will go to after Trumps reversal of Assad and the tomohawk missile strike on Syrian air strips.

edit: Isn't Aleppo in ruins as well from the Russian military strikes?

Last edited:
It most likely won't do much.
If Russians agreed to it then they most likely achieved majority of their goals for this operation anyway.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Wow, i had no idea that the Situation in Syria was that convoluted. Thank you for posting that informative video.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
“a deadly escalation by the Syrian government”

“the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told The Associated Press”

I’ve addressed this in another thread. Whilst war is a tragedy and I don’t doubt many innocent civilians are being harmed in Syria and my heart bleeds for them, I will not take these news articles seriously until the news organisations come up with a second source instead of one guy working out of his Coventry, UK home, who hasn’t been to Syria in 17+ years. Even a single verified source.

Just one. That’s not hard, surely.

We had live feeds from Operation Desert Storm in the 90s, but we rely on a guy in England, talking on the phone to “some friends” in Syria, who he won’t name and admits has never met in person to relay to us what is happening in Syria?

They all use him. BBC, Reuters, Associated Press, NBC, FOX, CNN.

Is society really becoming this dumb?

“a deadly escalation by the Syrian government”

“the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told The Associated Press”

I’ve addressed this in another thread. Whilst war is a tragedy and I don’t doubt many innocent civilians are being harmed in Syria and my heart bleeds for them, I will not take these news articles seriously until the news organisations come up with a second source instead of one guy working out of his Coventry, UK home, who hasn’t been to Syria in 17+ years. Even a single verified source.

Just one. That’s not hard, surely.

We had live feeds from Operation Desert Storm in the 90s, but we rely on a guy in England, talking on the phone to “some friends” in Syria, who he won’t name and admits has never met in person to relay to us what is happening in Syria?

They all use him. BBC, Reuters, Associated Press, NBC, FOX, CNN.

Is society really becoming this dumb?

If not cnn, fox news, msnbc, then what about the United Nations youtube page?

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

If not cnn, fox news, msnbc, then what about the United Nations youtube page?

I didn’t watch the first video as it is 20 minutes long, but I did see the second one. I am not disputing what the U.N. did, I have an intellectual dislike for the wording of these daily Syrian articles and their provided “source”.

Last edited:
Top Bottom