• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces GeForce GTX VR Ready certification program, identify VR-capable PCs

Probably doesn't mean much for the average power user, but should make it easier for uninformed people to get into the VR bandwagon.

Nvidia has announced its GeForce GTX VR Ready certification, working with hardware vendors and retailers to identify components, notebooks and PCs that will be able to handle VR. With virtaul reality headsets like the Oculus Rift set to be available later this year, Nvidia is making it easier for buyers to get hold of hardware that will drive the visually intensive medium.

Nvidia is partnering with manufacturers such as Asus, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, Sager and others, as well as boutique gaming machine vendors like Alienware, Falcon Northwest, Maingear and Origin. Retailers like Amazon and Newegg are also included.

Here’s Nvidia’s minimum spec for VR:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or greater
CPU: Intel Core i5- 4590 equivalent or greater
Notebook: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Memory/RAM: 8GB+ RAM
Outputs: 2x USB 3.0 ports, HDMI 1.3

Jason Paul, general manager of emerging technologies at Nvidia, said that the idea behind the certification was to make it easier to identify hardware that is compatible with virtual reality:

We’re working with trusted partners worldwide to simplify the buying process with a GeForce GTX VR Ready badge that will let customers quickly identify PCs or add-in cards that are capable of handling the demands of VR.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidias...-pc-is-ready-for-vr/103931.html#ixzz3wNVWO2gt

rauelius

Will my i5 3570k OC'd really not fit the bill on the VR CPU requirements ? :(

Pretty sure that an IvyBridge 3570k at 4.2Ghz outperforms the 3.3Ghz Haswell i5 4590. Intel has been sitting on IPC for the last 5 Years now. Outside of platform improvements and clockspeed adjustments, their's very little performance difference between the 5 Year Old 2600k and brand new 6700k when it comes to games.

Long-short, anyone will be fine with the 3570k/2500k.

Top Bottom