• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia feature that converts SDR games to HDR uncovered -- RTX TrueHDR settings found in latest Game Ready driver

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The modder discovered the new gaming-specific HDR conversion feature in several hidden "TrueHDR" profile settings inside of Nvidia's 511.23 graphics drivers (and newer). Apparently, Nvidia's HDR conversion tool is a derivative of its outgoing HDR conversion tool found in its RTX Video technology. But instead of converting SDR videos into HDR, it converts SDR frames in video games into HDR frames.

Having a reliable SDR-to-HDR conversion tool for gaming would be invaluable to the HDR community. Many games to this day don't offer HDR capability, and of those that do, many don't come with great HDR capabilities. Just look at "Starfield," which arrived with no HDR calibration tools, despite being one of Microsoft's largest game releases to date.

Kuranghi

Unfortunately it will be mostly trash like all the rest, instead I'd prefer developers to learn how to implement HDR properly and if not using the system level HDR calibration tool results then also how to implement proper in-game calibration tools.

Whitecrow

Banned
Unfortunately it will be mostly trash like all the rest, instead I'd prefer developers to learn how to implement HDR properly and if not using the system level HDR calibration tool results then also how to implement proper in-game calibration tools.
It's Nvidia. I bet it will be much better than any solution out there.

I find that the AutoHDR built into Windows 11 works pretty well, does the nvidia version work better?
Yea I was just typing this when you posted.
Windows 11 attempts to fake HDR at some games. I get that little popup when I start a game that auto HDR is enabled, I'm sure it's all wrong but I can at least see everything without crushing blacks and blowing out the whites.
It seems to work ok.

Kuranghi

It's Nvidia. I bet it will be much better than any solution out there.

The output is already decided, modifying it after the fact is always going to be bandaid no matter the expertise of the persons doing it.

That's why so many HDR outputs in both passive media and games are crap to begin with, they are trying to twist the SDR output into HDR when it was made to be displayed a certain way. If there was earlier access to the video output then it would be completely different but I don't think its realistic to expect this tool to have real-time access to the heart of every game engine that exists, more than likely its doing something more at the surface level.

I'm happy to be surprised but the OP says it's derivative of the recently released RTX Video HDR-ifying tools for video. Which were 90% the same stuff we've seen before, ie acceptable.

The only part in that looked impressive was the bit where they reclaimed the shadow detail from the train tunnel in the FPS. Since the video had absolutely no detail to infer from (confirmed by turning up your display's black level on the demonstration video), the only way I can see that being possible is if the tool had access to a data set for the games environments (like a "ground truth" I think I've heard it called?) and then used positional data and AI to rebuild them.

In that case the tool will only work if its got a data set for every game, the games with broken or no HDR are the smaller ones that would be on custom engines (ie not UE5, etc) and/or wouldn't be sharing data with nvidia in the same way.

I'm being very negative I know, maybe they have some sort of process devs can follow to submit their source or data to nvidia to be implemented in the tool(s) but it all just sounds very unlikely to me.

I shall hope for the best like yourself (y)

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Probably using AI in some fashion.

Always, It's Nvidia.

_Ffn7k4oPufrAIFE9mm1kzjywIyOqIOBMqdpzLWcVhQdJ1m_WWP0gOqCCwiJ6LdEqd86aMod5sAZpeOAn0li8Bz_MihVM2jruFpQGH_RIOayfjP5mW5FAgnkADmj7WUXUVfZBh9_yRmhxG8Vfj3hP-k

Top Bottom