• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GTX 1060 Overtakes 970 as most common GPU on Steam

Blam

So because a game gets optimized for a specific platform it now performs at the same strengths as a PC?

And TFLOPS numbers are what to you? You also multiply the amount of shader cores in the GPU by it's clock speed, that's how you get TFLOPS numbers, but TFLOPS rarely translates into a real world gaming performance. When it comes to architecture, only MS engineers and developers are able to make internal tests and conclude how fast xbox X architecture really is. GUYS FROM TECHPOWERUP NEVER TESTED EVEN ONE GAME ON XBOX X, they are only estimating performance without taking int account unique features that xbox X has, so that chart is totally worthless.

TFLOPS mean nothing in game performance it all depend on architecture and other thing, most Nvidia card run more efficient than AMD card, a 4.6 TF GTX 1060 is the same with RX 580 who has 6.1 TF. And no, guy from techpowerupd dont just compare it is based on TFLOPS, they compared it also with architecture itself. And since X is AMD architecture it sound very silly if you think that a 6 TF AMD Architecture has the same performance with 6.6 GTX 1070. That s why on 99% web out there , people always comparing X with 1060 or RX 580, only Xbox fanboys that said X it is the same with 1070.

And that's also why DF have said six teraflops on xbox will be much faster than equivalent PC part. There's no AMD GPU on the PC market with customizations like that (xbox X GPU has also some vega features, much more efficient shader compiler, and DX12 features build into a chip on top of that, so communication from the game to the GPU is drastically improved. So you get RX 580 on steroids, and dont be surprised seeing PC parts like RX 580 dipping below xbox X level, because RX 580 is in fact a less capable GPU. The extent of improvement can be seen comparing PS4P vs XboX X, because both consoles use AMD GPU's, and you get the same games running on console.

What are you trying to explain is basically what other brand Like ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte does with standar edition of AMD or Nvidia card, they overclocked it so it perform better than standar/founder edition, and that is basically what MS did.
it is basically still the same chipset, a polaris architecture of RX 480 5.5 TFLOPS , If you see the other version of ASUS, MSI , Gigabyte version of RX 480 it is basically the same with Xbox one X has, they are around 6 TFLOPS, and that is the maximum overclocked or enhancement you will get from a RX 480.

esults shows xbox X architecture IS FAR MORE EFFICIENT. PS4P is using downclocked RX 480 (the same number of cores, rops, transistors. etc.) with some additional fealtures, it's basically RX 470 performance level, yet xbox X GPU can render up to 2.2x more pixels compared to PS4P GPU. Can you find even one game on PC, where RX 480 or RX 580 can double RX 470 results?

That is not how you comparing performance of a system, if you want to compare a system you run it on the same resolution and see how good the system can handle the game ( usually by FPS). IF PS4Pro only at 1440p then X can run at 4k does it mean X GPU 2.2 more powerful than PRO? Of course not it is very wrong on so many level, PRO maybe can run it at 4k with 20-25 fps compare to 30 locked on X, but developer lowered it at 1440p so they can locked it on 30 fps.
If you want to compare a system you run the program at the same resolution not comparing the pixel count, that is why techpowerup graphic chart performance based on 1080p so they can compare all gpu.

Here is the thing a GTX 1060 6GB can run Fortnite at 4k 60 FPS Epic and High Setting with 65-70 fps, something that X could not achieve , X even dip to 1152p to maintain 60 fps which is almost close to 1080p, does it mean 1060 is 4 time more powerful ? since 1152p to 4k is almot 4 times count , of course not, it would be a silly with such comparison .

About the game comparison , you could bring any game that has X enhancement and then i will bring any new game or japanese game that doesnt has X enhancement, this would be a never ending comparison, and when i am compare to open world title you said that X gpu is inferior. If you already comparing a game you already comparing a whole system including CPU, every program/game need CPU to run, not only GPU, if you want compare only GPU , what technopowerup did is already the right one with their graphic chart

Armorian

Banned
https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming/everspace-graphics-performance-guide/ At 4k you need a 1070 to do 30 fps lock. Xbox one x version is 4k native just like the 1070.

What settings is xbox one version using, medium? You don't know, that's why all this comprasions are pointles as I said many days ago.

From hardware standpoint, XOX is ~6TF Polaris with more memory BW. Better memory speed and low level optimizations (DX12 is not so great on pc IMO) can probably generate more performance but there is no secret souce, GPU is comparable to 580/1060.

Fucked up GPU market is making XOX the best choice for people that wants "good" graphics at "4K", no one can argue with that.

My reaction after entering this thread and expecting some hawt Nvidia fanboy / PC gamer nerd talk:

miz5eg5.gif

What settings is xbox one version using, medium? You don't know, that's why all this comprasions are pointles as I said many days ago.

From hardware standpoint, XOX is ~6TF Polaris with more memory BW. Better memory speed and low level optimizations (DX12 is not so great on pc IMO) can probably generate more performance but there is no secret souce, GPU is comparable to 580/1060.

Fucked up GPU market is making XOX the best choice for people that wants "good" graphics at "4K", no one can argue with that.

This is a good a reasonable post. I am one of those PC gamers who wanted "good" graphics at "4k" in a silent small box for a good price. I bought an Xbox One X instead of a GPU upgrade this year. It was the best choice for me (I prefer buying physical games) but I'll always be a PC gamer first and foremost. PC gaming will always be king. Don't be so insecure my fellow PC fans; it's embarrassing to our kin.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
My reaction after entering this thread and expecting some hawt Nvidia fanboy / PC gamer nerd talk:
This is a good a reasonable post. I am one of those PC gamers who wanted "good" graphics at "4k" in a silent small box for a good price. I bought an Xbox One X instead of a GPU upgrade this year. It was the best choice for me (I prefer buying physical games) but I'll always be a PC gamer first and foremost. PC gaming will always be king. Don't be so insecure my fellow PC fans; it's embarrassing to our kin.

I ilke my 60fps ultrawide too much, PS4 is only used for console exclusives games :)

I ilke my 60fps ultrawide too much, PS4 is only used for console exclusives games :)

I like your style mate! If I wasn't currently burdened with an obscene about of panels in my room already (I'm too embarrassed to say how many), I'd love to go down the same route as well. That said, I might be handing my current three main screens to a friend for free as they're going through some personal difficulties and it'd help them out. But more importantly it'd give me an excuse to upgrade! :p

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
I like your style mate! If I wasn't currently burdened with an obscene about of panels in my room already (I'm too embarrassed to say how many), I'd love to go down the same route as well. That said, I might be handing my current three main screens to a friend for free as they're going through some personal difficulties and it'd help them out. But more importantly it'd give me an excuse to upgrade! :p

I never tried multi-monitor setup, I'm too poor and not sure I would like it (bezels). Good excuse for upgrade is always needed, 2 years ago i wanted somenthing different from my old "boring" 1920x1080 IPS panel, there were 3 choices in my budget:

1. 2560x1440x60 IPS/VA screen
2. 1920x1080x144 TN screen
3. 2560x1080x60 IPS screen

First option was pretty much the same but with better resolution, second was more interesting but I would have to sacrifice IQ (TN) and my GPU at the time (970) wasn't good enough for high framerate with reasonable gfx. I wasn't entirely sure for the third option but right now I know that it was the best (and cheapest) choice. Modern games utilize 21:9 beautifully with few exceptions (japanese games usually) but there are tweaks for that.

I'll wait for PS5 befeore I buy 4K HDR tv, technology will standardize until then (HDR with 4:4:4) :)

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
No, no, no. That developer is wrong. I'm the real expert here, the XBEASTX is on par with SLI'd 1080Ti's because it's 2007 and all PC games are poorly optimised, and only consoles can fully take advantage of the hardware inside them.

I'll just leave this here by the way.

Developers arnt sure for themselves, one developer suggest GTX 1060 performance level, another developer GTX 1070, and war thunder developer even suggested GTX 1080 (and indeed there are games that suggest performance like that, for example wolfenstein 2). Because one developer have compared xbox X GPU to 1060, you will now ingore all the other developers who suggest otherwise? The thing is, because developers arnt sure for themselves, all we can do at this point is to look at multiplatform games (and only GPU bound games, not CPU bottlenecked) and see what it takes to match xbox x settings in games. Games like rise of the tomb radier, wolfenstein 2, gears of war 4, forza horizon 3, forza 7, dishonored 2, ethan carter xbox X shows much better performance than RX 580 and GTX 1060 can provide on PC.

As MaDz gameplay video clearly shows, Forza 7 dips below 60fps even at 4K and high settings (I'm sure at this point xbox X settings are even higher, so that argument suggesting that xbox X games are always compared to higher settings on PC is useless at this point). GTX 1060 would need additional 20 fps to provide locked 60fps experience in this game (and I think minimal fps on xbox X is even higher than 60fps, otherwise we would see dips below 60fps rarely). GTX 1070 can indeed match xbox X results in that game, but the thing is, there are also games like wolfenstein 2, where even GTX 1070 have troubles

Even with turned down details, even with lowered resolution scale (so again, PC verison is not maxed out and can be compared to xbox X settings), GTX 1070 have troubles matching xbox X experience in that game.

it is basically still the same chipset,
The same chip? Compared to RX 480 xbox GPU is even build differently
https://gamingbolt.com/behind-the-xbox-one-xs-architecture-part-i-what-makes-the-gpu-special
We get different amount of shaders, transistors, so how on earth it's the same chip to you? Xbox X has DX12 build into a hardware (DX12 on PC is just software level patch compared to what xbox X is doing), vega features like delta color compression (it speed performance in higher resolution), and other customisations (like much more efficient shader compiler). No polaris AMD GPU on PC is customised like that :). These are all very significant changes, because MS engingeers designed their console with bottlenecks reduction in mind, they basically have looked at AMD GPU at first and have concluded what's slowing down AMD GPU in games the most, and then they have instructed AMD to rebuild that GPU with changes that they wanted to fix these bottlenecks and speed up performance. Of course experts here suggest, these customisations are not important, becase opinion like that support their wrong belives in regards to xbox X Xbox X GPU architecture. But because PS4P is also using AMD GPU, so we can tell for a fact, xbox X architecture is indeed much more efficient, because 40% tflops difference translated into up to 2.2x resolution boost across many games. Hitman on xbox X runs at 1440p 60fps on xbox X, PS4P GPU cant provide results like that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed
"The bottom line is that Scorpio's six teraflops will almost certainly go a lot further than an equivalent PC part. I asked Microsoft about this specifically, and they raise a number of good arguments that make the case strongly. Firstly, that their shader compiler is far more efficient than PC equivalents (think of shaders as native GPU code). Secondly, addressing the hardware directly via their API and with access to console-specific GPU extensions again adds to the advantage of a fixed platform box. And finally, they point to their optimisation software - PIX (Performance Investigator for Xbox) - as a tool that provides the path to console-specific optimisations that PC simply cannot get."
This is what DF have said. So the bottom line is, xbox X six teraflops is more efficient compared to AMD cards on PC market. On PC market 6 tflops polaris architecture is not enough to match 6 tflops on Nv cards, and that's why MS wanted custom that chip exactly the way they wanted.

RX 580 on steroids (xbox X GPU) is faster than RX 580 or GTX 1060, and that should be not surprising. In fact it would be very strange if more cappable GPU would be slower, yet people here cant understand it :p. Because no one can show GTX 1060 benchmarks that would prove xbox X is slower in GPU bound games, so people in desperation are posting useless charts with estimations that doesnt take into account unique features that xbox X GPU has compared to standard polaris GPU. TECHPOWERUP have taken into accound architecture differences, but how? They have never benchmarked even one xbox X game, so they dont have any possible way to make their conclusions in regards to xbox X architecture, they are basically guessing how fast xbox X architecture is. In order to conclude how efficient xbox X architecture is, game test's are required. What's next, we will be reading tea leaves and chicken entrails to conclude how fast xbox X GPU really is ? Personally I dont care how fast xbox X really is, because both RX 580 and GTX 1060 are very weak cards compared to what I have on my PC, but even xbox hater like me (and when most users on that site tell I'm xbox hater, than I'm guessing I must be) can look at results, and because GTX 1060 need 20 fps more to provide xbox X experience in forza 7, than I'm very convinced xbox X GPU is indeed more capable. At this point even some GTX 1060 users like MaDz have admitted they cant match xbox X results in games, yet people here want to convinve me, that GTX 1060 or RX 580 is enough to match xbox X results while it clearly cant!

Last edited:
Top Bottom