• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia "partnership": dear partners, please drop "gaming" branding from AMD GPUs (most manufacturers already gave in)

Swizzle

Gold Member
Business wise I don't see the problem.

Absolutely correct, hence why you tend to have anti trust regulations and when governments had more courage to protect their people they went a bit farther than slapping the wrist of mega giant conrporations (see Standard Oil or Bell -> Baby Bells “interventions”).

Swizzle

Gold Member
Worse performing in numbers? Sure but their more optimized run better on nearly every single game out there. AMD Cards fluctuate a lot.

Developers act like consumers too or follow the trends... see for example Ryzen’s launch and developers were so accustomed to using Intel only side effects for performance that it took quite a bit to do things properly and get good utilisation of both kind of CPU’s.

Consumers are free to follow trends, free to ensure that a monopolist has 100% of the market, but do not wonder why prices go up and performance improvements per year (outside of PR claims) go down ;).

Marlenus

Worse performing in numbers? Sure but their more optimized run better on nearly every single game out there. AMD Cards fluctuate a lot.

Those AMD cards were just plainly better all around. The 5870 was 30% faster than the 285 and it was faster for 6 months till the 480 came out. The 5870 was also the first card to have angle independent AF.

The 7970 was faster than the 580 by 40% and was ahead for several months till the 680 launched. The 7970 was also an overclocking monster capable of 30%+ OCs and extending its advantage over the 580 (even OCD versions) to in excess of 60%.

The R9 290X was a Titan killer offering the same performance for about half the cost. It was matched by the 780Ti but that launched after the 290X and was more expensive.

It has only really been the 9xx and 10xx series that has pulled a gap on AMD. The last time this happened was the 2900 and 3870 series.by AMD who followed it up with the amazing 4870 series. Even though that had bargain pricing, NV still outsold AMD.

Even when NV had an objectively worse product they were out selling AMD because of the brand. That is the power of branding and that is why this is a big deal.

Last edited:
Shameful business, but AMD is sadly a poor alternative to nvidia and intel and they know it.
Poor alternative? AMD is absolutely competitive in the low to mid-range GPU market and they're decimating the competition when it comes to processors and have driven down Intel's pricing fairly significantly. Despite this, unfortunately AMD lacks the marketshare in both CPUs and GPUs due to brand appeal. Hopefully that changes because we've seen what happens when companies like Nvidia have the marketshare, they abuse it.

Vega was a misfire but recent driver benchmarks are closing the gap between Vega 64 and the 1080Ti and Navi hopefully will put AMD back on the map for enthusiast level users. At this point, I'm so disgusted with Nvidia's business practices and the shitty driver experience that I'm switching over from a 1080Ti to Vega and shrugging at the performance loss.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Poor alternative? AMD is absolutely competitive in the low to mid-range GPU market and they're decimating the competition when it comes to processors and have driven down Intel's pricing fairly significantly. Despite this, unfortunately AMD lacks the marketshare in both CPUs and GPUs due to brand appeal. Hopefully that changes because we've seen what happens when companies like Nvidia have the marketshare, they abuse it.

Vega was a misfire but recent driver benchmarks are closing the gap between Vega 64 and the 1080Ti and Navi hopefully will put AMD back on the map for enthusiast level users. At this point, I'm so disgusted with Nvidia's business practices and the shitty driver experience that I'm switching over from a 1080Ti to Vega and shrugging at the performance loss.

Yeah, Coffee Lake is legit proof that competition is a good thing. The i7 8700K CPU is priced very competitively and frequently goes on sale. Before Ryzen, Kaby Lake and Skylake CPUs were frequently being sold above MSRP.

I see all sorts of good bundles for coffee lake that I didn't see from previous Intel gens.

Unfortunately the high cost of RAM has drastically offset those savings.

Trogdor1123

I honestly feel like GPUs right now are being held back artificially and that is because they can make crazy bank and sit on theirvdesigns. Why put out something new I'd you don't have to?

llien

MSI Gaming's official Facebook page for India has struck out against AMD Radeon graphics cards, saying that "Nvidia currently are ahead in the GPU experience" and suggesting the competition is sub-par.

MSI manufactures a wide range of graphics cards and consumer laptops with AMD hardware inside.

Later in the comment thread, the rep for MSI's Facebook page is asked "Does this programme mean you won't be making anymore AMD graphic cards in the future and your laptop/desktop models will be entirely NVIDIA GPUs?" Their response: "if its up par with performance, MSI will definitely be able to do so."

They apologized lately.

More at forbes

Kenpachii

Those AMD cards were just plainly better all around. The 5870 was 30% faster than the 285 and it was faster for 6 months till the 480 came out. The 5870 was also the first card to have angle independent AF.

The 7970 was faster than the 580 by 40% and was ahead for several months till the 680 launched. The 7970 was also an overclocking monster capable of 30%+ OCs and extending its advantage over the 580 (even OCD versions) to in excess of 60%.

The R9 290X was a Titan killer offering the same performance for about half the cost. It was matched by the 780Ti but that launched after the 290X and was more expensive.

It has only really been the 9xx and 10xx series that has pulled a gap on AMD. The last time this happened was the 2900 and 3870 series.by AMD who followed it up with the amazing 4870 series. Even though that had bargain pricing, NV still outsold AMD.

Even when NV had an objectively worse product they were out selling AMD because of the brand. That is the power of branding and that is why this is a big deal.

The problem AMD has its always disappoints in comparison towards Nvidia. Sure they mostly of the time give you more hardware or more performance for your money, but there are always issue's with there software, specially drivers which makes me instantly regret investing into it.

They also lack a bunch of features / software possibility's that Nvidia does offer or are way late which doesn't help them either.

I upgraded after years not investing into AMD/ATI into the 290 series and ditched them soon after because of this reason. ( also the 290 series had many hardware issue's that didn't help them either )

So what you mention doesn't describe the full picture of things.

Also a 580 never competed with 7970 but with the 6970 and that card fell short as it could only compete with the lower 570 gpu. The 500 series was a relaunch of the failed 400 series and did it very well, with the 600 series just being a bit faster then 580 nobody felt much need to upgrade at that time or needed much of a upgrade. I runned sli 580's all the way to 200/900 series without issue's.

Even still to this day 580 3gb sli models are able to play most games at 30+ fps on high settings, and that's after 8 years. The 1,5gb version however fell off after watch dogs / ac unity came out and the 900 / 200 series where a thing.

The people that however did upgrade in my friend circle never even had AMD on there radar even if there cards where way faster, Simple because the only thing they needed was more v-ram and shadowplay and physx support at that time which the 680 4gb models did well.

There is a reason why AMD currently only sits at 0,5% as there most populaire GPU solution with the top 10 being only nvidia. That's not just branding, it's that AMD simple can't compete against Nvidia. AMD is practically already non existent in the PC GPU market.

Now what there 400-500 and Vega series bring i couldn't say much about it, as i never invested into it. However what i did know was that the 200 series where highly talked up cards and ended up disappointed me heavily. Which made me wonder if people that talk about the hardware actually have any experience with it, or just backseat talk about them through benchmarks only.

Moving forwards towards current times however, the titan XP with 1080 ti and 1080 outperform the entire AMD lineup kinda makes jumping to AMD kinda useless even for those people, having games riddled with nvidia game works and nvidia pushing out new tech every one or two gens. AMD is nowhere to be seen really. And with Gsync being a thing, i don't see much people jump ship when a new AMD card comes out that will utterly dwarf what nvidia is offering in every concept purely because of that.

Then AMD and low end.

AMD on low end never was a good option ever. What benchmarks don't tell you is that AMD drivers eat a chunk of your CPU performance. This is not a myth even remotely. Benching GPU's on 1500 euro's cpu/mem/hardware to remove all bottlenecks doesn't give you the full picture of things. My 290's had 40% less performance in low end fps then the Nvidia counter parts in the witcher 3 ( every heavy cpu demanding game it struggled the same way ). A friend of mine had the same setup cpu/motherboard/ram and he had nvidia sli setups. He was able to maintain 60 fps in city's while i was hitting 40's. So mostly Nvidia also fairs better on this department simple because of driver reasons. Maybe DX12 will chance this however at this point in the day, but at the 200 series and pre 200 series this was very much a thing.

Nvidia offers a more stable experience in general, so the guy that mentioned it earlier on is completely right about it. ( higher ms / microstutter / worse support / driver installs being worse / software in general worse / more fluctuation of fps etc )

In my vision after experiencing there cards for multiple times now, AMD has only one purpose atm and that's pressuring NVIDIA into delivering cheaper prices and better performance cards, however AMD burned so many bridges through the years that i don't think anybody cares about investing into them without a major revamp on there software department first and foremost.

Last edited:

llien

Dell and HP Resist the NVIDIA GPP Leash - So Far
Since we found out about NVIDIA's GeForce Partner Program, aka GPP, a couple of months ago, we have seen changes implemented by NVIDIA's partners, but what has not happened is far more important to point out at this time.

As of today we believe that both Dell and HP have NOT signed the GPP contract. I say believe, because neither company or NVIDIA would confirm this on the record. I have had backchannel discussions about this with trusted sources, and this press release story pushed out by The Verge on HP introducing systems in its Pavilion Gaming line with Radeon and NVIDIA GPUs inside recently would suggest GPP is not in the cards for HP. However, its Omen Gaming boxes are now devoid of AMD GPUs at this time. We are hoping this is a supply issue rather than a GPP issue. All of the silence surrounding this certainly reminds us that the First Rule of GPP is, Don't Talk About GPP. But don't fear, NVIDIA has clearly stated, GPP is all about transparency to benefit the gamer.

We did reach out to NVIDIA to again ask what companies were signed up with its GPP, and once again failed to get an answer; again that transparency thing comes to mind. But as we reported a couple of weeks ago, NVIDIA has "moved on" from this story so we don't expect an answer.

Lenovo is the outlier in the big three OEMs, and we are getting little-to-no information about that company. We are unsure if Lenovo has gone with NVIDIA's GPP at this time. From what we are hearing, which is rumor and speculation, we think Lenovo has not signed on with GPP, but we could be wrong on that. However, Lenovo at this time still has its Legion brand gaming systems with Radeon GPUs listed on its site.

Dell and HP not coming on board with GPP is actually a very big deal. Out of all the companies that we think NVIDIA is strong arming into GPP, Dell and HP have the most leverage to push back due to the massive volumes of mid and low-end GPUs that both purchase from NVIDIA. While AMD is not able to compete on the extremely high end, it certainly is making mid-level and low-end GPUs that both Dell and HP have access to. And for what it is worth, the Vega 64 is an excellent gaming card at 1440p which fits the bill for a huge portion of the market on high end gaming systems. NVIDIA may be in a fight to seize these companies gaming brands for their own, which NVIDIA may just lose, and hopefully so.

Dell nor HP are wanting to turn over their gaming brands to NVIDIA. Off the record conversations suggest that both of these companies think that NVIDIA GPP is unethical, and likely illegal as it pertains to anti-competition laws here in the United States. The bottom line is that Dell and HP are very much upset with NVIDIA over GPP, and Dell and HP look to be digging in for a fight.

On the other side of the coin, we see ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI have already laid their gaming brands at NVIDIA's feet. ASUS has already committed to remove all AMD GPU products that appear under its high end Republic of Gamers brand as it pertains to video cards. (AMD Motherboards will stay ROG.) All AMD cards will now carry its "AREZ" branding. It will be interesting how these cards are marketed through this new Arez brand although ASUS did have and "Ares" brand in the past. Will it be a "gaming brand?" Gigabyte has already been documented as to removing its Aorus gaming brand from AMD GPU products, and MSI has been spotted as doing the same, however neither company has openly announced a new brand specific to AMD GPUs.

It looks as the Asia-based companies have rolled over for their master, NVIDIA, and given away their gaming branding in order to make sure they stay on NVIDIA's good side. The US based companies have not yet heeled to NVIDIA's GPP leash. And NVIDIA may soon find out that there are a couple of big dogs that are left in the yard that might bite.

The other unknown in this is Intel. Big Blue is very much aware of what is going on, and GPP could very much impact the sales of its Kaby Lake-G part that contains a GPU that was built by AMD specifically for Intel. I would expect we are going to see legal action initiated on NVIDIA GPP by Intel at some point in the future.

We also now can share that NVIDIA has specified that it will not extend discounts to non-GPP partners. And what is appalling, but not surprising, is that NVIDIA is denying "priority allocation" to non-GPP partners as well. That basically means your GPU order must have gotten lost in the mail.

"Gaming" brands outsell non-gaming brands 3 to 1 according to the research I have seen on the subject. So to suggest that AMD will not be impacted by GPP is simply not true.

To sum up NVIDIA's actions, if you do not agree to be a part of its GPP, you lose GPU allocation, you lose GPU discounts, you lose rebates, you lose marketing development funds (MDF), you lose game bundles, you lose NVIDIA PR and marketing support, you lose high effort engineering engagements, you lose launch partner status, but you do get to keep the gaming brand that your company has developed over the years.

The carrot and stick metaphor comes to mind here. NVIDIA is telling us that its GPP program is a simple carrot, albeit a carrot that it was supplying willingly before these GPP terms were pushed out. I would suggest to you that North American OEMs are seeing GPP as a stick. As for the Asia based companies, I think they see it as just another normal business day and are still glad to have the job of pulling the wagon. One thing is for certain. Dell and HP see the danger of handing their gaming brands over to NVIDIA. We hope both stand their ground.

TheMikado

Banned
This whole thing is hilarious. Nvidia has been at this game for DECADES.

This isn't even the worst of their practices.

Their entire directx fiasco has been nothing short of disgusting.

To travel back in time a bit, the release of Directx 10 and 10.1 had nvidia have some real difficulty in producing cards with Directx 10.1 support. As such they pressured devs to not use Directx 10.1 standards that other gpu cards supported while only half implementing it just to get it on their label.....

History is literally repeating itself today with nvidia once again half supporting directx12 , pressuring reviewers to review using directx11 games while making it a inefficient as possible for devs to use Directx 12 because right now AMD has the advantage in that state. Nvidia consistently cuts the entire GPU/API implementation and development process until they are willing or able to get their hardware to outperform on a specific API, typically long after the API is released and we are moving on to the next graphical standard. They have always been extremely backward and have far far far too much market influence in high end gaming and development that they shouldn't have.

Blast from the past article:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2855/2

DirectX 10.1 on an NVIDIA GPU?
Easily the most interesting thing about the GT 220 and G 210 is that they mark the introduction of DirectX 10.1 functionality on an NVIDIA GPU. It’s no secret that NVIDIA does not take a particular interest in DX10.1, and in fact even with this they still don’t. But for these new low-end parts, NVIDIA had some special problems: OEMs.
OEMs like spec sheets. They want parts that conform to certain features so that they can in turn use those features to sell the product to consumers. OEMs don’t want to sell a product with “only” DX10.0 support if their rivals are using DX10.1 parts. Which in turn means that at some point NVIDIA would need to add DX10.1 functionality, or risk losing out on lucrative OEM contracts.
This is compounded by the fact that while Fermi has bypassed DX10.1 entirely for the high-end, Fermi’s low-end offspring are still some time away. Meanwhile AMD will be shipping their low-end DX11 parts in the first half of next year.
So why do GT 220 and G 210 have DX10.1 functionality? To satisfy the OEMs, and that’s about it. NVIDIA’s focus is still on DX10 and DX11. DX10.1 functionality was easy to add to the GT200-derrived architecture (bear in mind that GT200 already had some DX10.1 functionality), and so it was done for the OEMs. We would also add that NVIDIA has also mentioned the desire to not be dinged by reviewers and forum-goers for lacking this feature, but we’re having a hard time buying the idea that NVIDIA cares about either of those nearly as much as they care about what the OEMs think when it comes to this class of parts.
At any rate, while we don’t normally benchmark with DX10.1 functionality enabled, we did so today to make sure DX10.1 was working as it should be. Below are our Battleforge results, using DX10 and DX10.1 with Very High SSAO enabled.
The ultimate proof that DX10.1 is a checkbox feature here is performance. Certainly DX10.1 is a faster way to implement certain effects, but running them in the first place still comes at a significant performance penalty. Hardware of this class is simply too slow to make meaningful use of the DX10.1 content that’s out there at this point.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
The thing I don't get is timing of all this. Nvidia has to know that, due to mining, there's nothing they can do to stop AMD cards from selling out and retailing for hundreds of dollars above MSRP. All of these efforts have no benefit to them in the current market. The only thing I could think of is if they're so focused on preserving their market share that they're laying the foundation for months or even years down the road for when mining no longer has this effect on consumer GPU pricing.

As bad (and possibly illegal) as this all is, nothing is worse than the trolls who go onto gaming forums to make up Nvidia's advantages over AMD, for free and in their own spare time.

TheMikado

Banned
The thing I don't get is timing of all this. Nvidia has to know that, due to mining, there's nothing they can do to stop AMD cards from selling out and retailing for hundreds of dollars above MSRP. All of these efforts have no benefit to them in the current market. The only thing I could think of is if they're so focused on preserving their market share that they're laying the foundation for months or even years down the road for when mining no longer has this effect on consumer GPU pricing.

As bad (and possibly illegal) as this all is, nothing is worse than the trolls who go onto gaming forums to make up Nvidia's advantages over AMD, for free and in their own spare time.

The currency mining is only a temporary situation I would imagine and the timing is particularly suspicious if you ask me... New low-level APIs which AMD excels at are coming out in combination with it recent vega and zen architectures.
Basically performance-wise budget AMD solutions destroy any intel nvidia combo in the same price tier. However, the prices have been artificially driving AMDs cards up to Nvidia prices so they aren't beating on straight price/performance anymore.

Basically if thing were the way AMD planned (Directx 12 games/ no crypto mining) They would have the best cpu/gpu combo performance at every price point. In that sense it makes sense for Nvidia to have a long term strategy.

magnumpy

it's the classic problem of the duopoly system. whether it's the Republicans vs. the Democrats, amd vs. nvidia, chevy vs. ford, etcetera. it's susceptible to all sorts of corruption. the "little guy" gets crushed. wash rinse, repeat. it's almost as bad as the monopoly system.

llien

Interesting rumors are now coming out that "Kyle was paid" big bucks for breaking the NVIDIA GPP story. And apparently NVIDIA's disinformation campaign to discredit the story around GPP is rubbing some folks the wrong way. Elric mentions below that "his name is also Brian," so I have to assume that PR at NVIDIA is starting this nastiness. No, I did not get paid for GPP, but I wish I would have. Hell, AMD even gave credit to PCPer for breaking story in its Freedom promo video. Interesting thoughts from Elric below.

Check out the video.

Also worth mentioning is that I can tell you for sure that two of the things that NVIDIA told me about GPP are simply lies. Brian Burke of NVIDIA told me this about GPP before we wrote our initial story:

There is no commitment to make any monetary payments, or discounts for being part of the program.

That is a lie. I have it in writing that is not true. NVIDIA is withholding MDF monies as well as rebates and discounts if you don't go GPP. I have had conversations with people that have confirmed exactly what I have in writing.

NVIDIA is quickly painting itself into a corner, and I can say is that the silence from NVIDIA is deafening, and the rest of us know that too. If GPP was so great for the consumer as NVIDIA states, it would have already put hundreds of thousands of dollars into a PR campaign instead of going silent and telling the tech world it has "moved on" from the GPP story. They want this to just die and go away. Telling fellow journalists in the community that I am a paid mouthpiece of AMD is not below NVIDIA, and that is just a shame. And apparently some other folks don't like the way they are handling all of this either.

But at the end of the day, if the worst thing NVIDIA can say about me is that I get paid to tell the truth, I guess I can live with that.

hardforum.com

AMD's response:

AMD calls out NVIDIA's partner program, G-Sync 'gamer taxes'

A promotional push by NVIDIA has apparently tied up PC builders, and raised the ire of its competitor AMD. The current leader in the graphics card market, NVIDIA has apparently developed a GeForce Partner Program (GPP) that it claims exists to "ensure that gamers have full transparency into the GPU platform and software they're being sold, and can confidently select products that carry the NVIDIA GeForce promise."
But according to AMD, that vague explanation hides an attempt to elbow competition out of high-profile system lines. A recent report by HardOCPsuggests that for PC builders to be a part of the program (with access to combined marketing efforts, bundles and rebate offers) they have to exclusively align their gaming brand with NVIDIA's GeForce hardware (and not AMD's Radeon). Things came to a head yesterday when ASUS suddenly announced a new gaming line, AREZ, that apparently exists only to keep AMD Radeon-powered PCs out of its well-known ROG gaming equipment. With AMD out of the way, the ROG line can join NVIDIA's GPP.

Meanwhile, AMD has taken the opportunity to go all William Wallace, proclaiming that "Freedom of choice is a staple of PC gaming." Its screed never mentions NVIDIA, the GPP or any of its proprietary tech like G-Sync or GameWorks, but reading between the lines makes things clear. From AMD's side, it claims that tech like FreeSync and Vulkan improvements it has developed move the industry forward without harming the competition.
endgadget

DonF

Knowing all this... I would still go Nvidia. Had 2 amd's before, and close friend's experiences...and amd's cards just stop working, are hot and unreliable. Last time I had a amd card was like 3 years ago and it wasn't a good experience. From reviews, they are getting better, but nvidia still is the winner.

Cobaiye

Knowing all this... I would still go Nvidia. Had 2 amd's before, and close friend's experiences...and amd's cards just stop working, are hot and unreliable. Last time I had a amd card was like 3 years ago and it wasn't a good experience. From reviews, they are getting better, but nvidia still is the winner.

quod erat demonstrandum

DonF

quod erat demonstrandum
I base my decision on my experience more than marketing. I had two ati radeons major malfunctions, and a couple of friends with very glitchy/full of artifacts cards. My last 2 cards have been nvidia and no problems.

I base my decision on my experience more than marketing. I had two ati radeons major malfunctions, and a couple of friends with very glitchy/full of artifacts cards. My last 2 cards have been nvidia and no problems.

To be fair, Nvidia has had terrible architectures and thermal performance too. Not a fan of their drivers either while AMD has replaced the Catalyst with Crimson drivers which are awesome from my experience. I'd recommend remaining open to AMD when their offerings are competitive for what you want. Especially when Nvidia is intentionally breaking the VESA standard to push their G-Sync monitors at a premium and doing all sorts of shady shit with the GPP (I know they reversed it but fuck them for even trying it and having the audacity to pull the "we were just trying to innovate and do customers a favor" in their discontinuation announcement).

Last edited:
I love nVidia and Intel products but their business practices are awful.

They don't care what do you think. They have you and 70% of pc gamers locked to their hardware. Nvidia brand loyalty is very strong and no amount of bad press can change it.

This is why I prefer console gaming. From crazy increase in gpu price coz of mining to shitty practices by Nvidia is the reason I prefer console gaming. I started hating Nvidia after they did that ram fraud with 970 range graphics cards.

psn

I had like 3 580 replacements.

The 290x was one of the best cards I ever had. 0 problems and I never had a problem with their driver.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Random nVIDIA vs random AMD? Same supplier?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Except when AMD have faster cards like the 5870, 7970 or the R9 290X people find other excuses not to buy AMD and Nvidia still sells better despite having a worse performing product.

The cards underperform and/or very bad drivers are no bad excuse.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The cards underperform and/or very bad drivers are no bad excuse.

They are sometimes inaccurate preconceptions at times and overinflated sense of stability on the other (nVIDIA drivers are by no means perfect). Underperforming based on what? Price : performance ratio? Something is not the performance crown winner == underperformer?

With the 290X the card was able to best the competition and the drivers situation was a lot better (and AMD is reasonably fighting with games often designed around nVIDIA drivers).

There is some truth to their brand image advantage and nVIDIA is already getting drunk on it: the whole GPP fiasco and their ridiculous passive aggressive release announcing its termination are clear indications on how nVIDIA feels they can conduct business. This is like 90’s MS monopolistic behaviour.

Last edited:
I felt this was appropriate considering the discussions in the thread. But I've always gone with nVidia, because of the general perception of better in terms of drivers. Is that still the case or has AMD done better there now, especially with AMD being used in the consoles? One of my reasons for choosing nVidia was because I prefer stability in terms of drivers and avoiding issues with certain games because of bad drivers.

I'm looking for a GPU after my GTX780 died (might try to heat treat it, to see if it's just something minor in terms of connections) and was wondering what the recommendations are.

Elios83

nVidia has never been a nice company since their early days in the 90'...they're really greedy and unfriendly towards other companies.
The fact they have cancelled their GPP program is a move to try to avoid legal issues since their bad pratices got exposed.
Still they have great engineers making great GPUs so it's hard as a consumer to try to avoid their products. Competition needs to be stronger.

Last edited:
I felt this was appropriate considering the discussions in the thread. But I've always gone with nVidia, because of the general perception of better in terms of drivers. Is that still the case or has AMD done better there now, especially with AMD being used in the consoles? One of my reasons for choosing nVidia was because I prefer stability in terms of drivers and avoiding issues with certain games because of bad drivers.

I'm looking for a GPU after my GTX780 died (might try to heat treat it, to see if it's just something minor in terms of connections) and was wondering what the recommendations are.
Not at all true anymore. In fact, I switched from the 1080Ti to the Vega 64 and bit the bullet on a little performance loss because I was sick of them pushing G-Sync along with their drivers being unstable and lacking in features. AMD Crimson drivers in my experience have been fantastic and it's great not being locked into Nvidia's "ecosystem". AMD is pushing and contributing to open standards and it's just a shame that Nvidia is abusing their market position.

I really hope "the Ryzen of GPUs" Navi architecture changes things because Nvidia needs a wake up call.

As for a suggestion, I'd shop around for an RX480/580 8GB variant. Great cards that seem to age much better than Nvidia's cards do.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
nVidia has never been a nice company since their early days in the 90'...they're really greedy and unfriendly towards other companies.
The fact they have cancelled their GPP program is a move to try to avoid legal issues since their bad pratices got exposed.
Still they have great engineers making great GPUs so it's hard as a consumer to try to avoid their products. Competition needs to be stronger.
I think there will be stronger competition with 7nm Vega and Navi following. Let's be honest, if it wasn't for the price hikes due to mining and memory, we would have a very competitive $399.99 RX Vega 56 and a 499.99 Vega 64 on the market in both price and perf.......Yet, the market is just not the same right now. Vega 56 beats the 1070 hands down and the 1070ti in quite a few titles, especially the AIB ones. Sapphire Vega 64 not only beats GTX 1080, but it gets close to the 1080ti in some titles and even beats it in some titles. So if AIB Vega's could be found for MSRP, I think the gamer's view of the market would be a bit different.

Still, it is what it is. NV has grown it's userbase well, because about a year ago you could have had a Zotac GTX 1070 for $269, you could have nabbed a gtx 1080 for under $400.00 at times, this is when NV got the majority of their pascal userbase. On the flip, AMD was very competititve with polaris as far as performance goes against the the GTX 1060....It's just that less gamers got a hold of these AMD cards because they are preferred for mining. It's a bad thing for gamers, but I'm not sure AMD is suffering too much because their cards are selling, just not to gamers.....Yet, if the market was normalized, with availability and MSRP prices, I think you would see that AMD cards are very competitive against the competiton when it comes to perf. Rx 580 vs Gtx 1060, Vega 56 vs Gtx 1070, Vega 64 vs 1070ti/1080... is awin for AMD.

Curiously enough, NV has been under fire for this GPP, the FTC and EU commision were honing in, a huge backlash and petitions from gamers, so they were forced to cancel it, because it would hurt them big-time if they didn't. Not because they wanted to..... On the other hand, it's been heard that memory manufacturers are purposefully hiking mem prices and slowing down production for maximum profit, because there's demand, not that they can't produce enough chips. Memory Manufacturers are smiling so hard right now and enjoying their best profits in millenia, doing perfect 10 dives in their cash reserves, notwithstanding. That too has to be investigated and normalized, as there's already a lawsuit against memory manufacturers towards that end........In essence, I wish to see a day when things will get back to how they were, GPU and MEM prices back at sane levels, GPU's back at MSRP et al......It looks like the most affordable way to build a PC right now is to get an AMD crate...

Not at all true anymore. In fact, I switched from the 1080Ti to the Vega 64 and bit the bullet on a little performance loss because I was sick of them pushing G-Sync along with their drivers being unstable and lacking in features.
As for a suggestion, I'd shop around for an RX480/580 8GB variant. Great cards that seem to get better and better performance as time goes on. Fans lovingly call it "AMD FineWine technology".

So they're about equal on drivers? Because in my country RX480 costs about the same as a GeForce GTX1060 6GB, while RX580 is a bit more expensive (from 10% and up). How is the performance benefits considering this?

Last edited:

DryvBy

They don't care what do you think. They have you and 70% of pc gamers locked to their hardware. Nvidia brand loyalty is very strong and no amount of bad press can change it.

This is why I prefer console gaming. From crazy increase in gpu price coz of mining to shitty practices by Nvidia is the reason I prefer console gaming. I started hating Nvidia after they did that ram fraud with 970 range graphics cards.

But the Switch is using Nvidia too. And consoles have their share of crappy practices. Like paying to use their network for basic gaming and chat..

Top Bottom