• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: CNN Had a Problem. Donald Trump Solved It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not only CNN/cable news that's trash, it's people who watch it who are trash. If you don't give them eyeballs every time they bring on some lunatic then there would be no reason for them to keep doing that. Basically Jerry Springer.

Brinbe

If CNN were serious about stopping Trump, what he will do to the US as a democracy and go after him hard about Russia, they would stop having people like Jeffrey Lord, Rick Santorum and Kellyanne Conway on their network. They wouldn't give any of them a platform and treat anything said by Trump and his administration with suspect. Yes, it would look like an echo chamber and wouldn't help CNN in 'ratings,' but who cares? Like someone said in another post, CNN has actors reading lines that a producer tells them to read and are presenting opinions.

The fact that Zucker is seemingly complacent with Trump shows he doesn't care about any of that.CNN loves to have Carl Bernstein on a lot, but the days of reporters like him on CNN rooting out corruption are over.

CNN is the exact opposite of FOX news, where they are outwardly willing to be the propaganda wing of the White House. CNN tries to 'resist' and only play into Trump's hand anyway.
Yep. Zucker's just working a different angle to the same end. It's all rudimentary WWE/Vince McMahon shit here KellyAnne/Jeffery/Kayleigh are divisive Roman Reigns/John Cena-like figures who are both adored and hated by some segments of the audience. As long as people are watching, that's all that matters. Even their relationship with Trump himself is playing up a certain outsider (but not really) angle.

Everyone gets worked in the end. Except this is real life and there are real negative impacts on people's lives now.

And yes, this is nothing new. Most anyone that paid attention knew all this already. But this piece offers some new insights (like that Trump considered giving Fox exclusive rights to the inauguration) and pulls everything together in an easily digested format.

All I can say is continue to support the good journalism that's out there like NYT/WaPo/Guardian/NPR/PBS/BBC/CBC/Reuters

CNN has become the just-left-of-center Fox News. Both are horrible deplorable shit that no one should consider actual news reporting and investigative journalism.

It's infotainment.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Because the reporting was reliably excellent and non-sensational. The work spoke for itself, the audience just wasn't interested in news sans entertainment. Plus AJA was based out of NYC. It's not the same as Al Jazeera English.

I hate to blame marketing, but I think was the real issue with them. The "Al Jazeera" brand is just damaged goods in the States, for various reasons. They should have just called it something else.

They seemed like they were basically following the local news model, to become "America's local news channel." They were really on to something I feel.

MSM is a joke. It's entertainment. They tell a story. Sometimes to sway your opinion.

Even the much revered NYT and WP rode the HRC email story hard. No one questioned how the emails were obtained and they blew up their contents to tell a story for ratings. NYT suppressed info on Russian interference.

The MSM is following the Russia story because it's quite a story for ratings. Even all the leaks stories are only written because someone wants the info out. Obviously a lot more going on.

No actual investigative journalism is being done. I can look around on Twitter and I can see more being done.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Remember Headline News before Nancy Grace invaded and ruined the format?

I really liked that format because it was the brevity itself that kept reporting to the very base facts. Then, if I wanted to learn more about a story, I could seek it out online and read various sources. The Network nightly news are still very much like that. Local news and newspapers deserve our support as well.

Of course, to the Trumpets, the acronym of the "MSM" has just become another evil boogeyman to blame for the world's problems, all wrapped up in a neat little acronym like "SJW" has been--the world's most successful blogger-focused rebranding of the previous boogeyman of "the liberal media." But when any news channel is on 24 hours a day, be it CNN OR Fox News, it is inevitable that opinion and punditry replace and become the news, extending the viewership in the false drama for non-stop advertiser-drawing ratings.

In many ways what we are seeing continues to be a symptom of the information overload of our time, and the failure of logical aggregation. A thousand strawmen, sample bias and sample error everywhere, echo chambers and false stories and facts supporting existing worldviews...

...all readily and easily produced now that there is not even the cost of paper and printing or film or video tape or literally anything consumable except all of our time and mental energy. Yet people still implicitly trust the technology, as it lowers the floor of information selection to include SO MUCH GARBAGE, and blame evil shadowy conspiracy figures on "the other side" for applying the technology in its intended way, but for purposes they don't agree with.

Easily doxing someone or screenshotting their moments of bad judgment, easily launching and reporting meaningless polls, easily reporting pseudo-science and pseudo-facts and conspiracy-ladened pseudo-truths, customizing your isolated information feed to tell you only that with which you already agree, dogpiling someone with no idea of the impact of the WHOLE of "your side"'s attack by simply justifying a tweet or a comment. As the tactics of the media begin to be mirrored by the tactics of their audience or opposition only in distorted ways... or maybe by the Russians, or ISIS recruitment, or right-wing nazi recruitment... we accept the fact that we don't even know who it is who did what, because that's the nature of the technology. But we are accessible: everyone is someone to be swayed or surpressed, individually, through their own feed.

The technology is working as designed. Information is everywhere. Or ability to select the chaff from the wheat, the kind of societal information selection mechanism that exists (for example) in our courts in codified forms, continue to be replaced by new mechanisms backed by either "liberal media" or "alt-right media," making anyone a potential public figure for scorn and "example making," for prosecution on the airwaves or in the message boards.

So I kind of went off here but it almost seems like our only hope for the future in dealing with his will come as an almost Star Trek Vulcanlike cultural revolution towards precepts of logic. We are swimming in propaganda, and so swayed by emotion, so many of us.

And I believe it is all a big successful distraction so that the agenda of further economic inequity can be advanced. But we would have to be very logical and know which of the sounds is just noise, to be able to discern that.

So, yeah, not being Vulcan we'll probably go the nuclear war and rebuild route instead.

I stopped watching television news media years ago. My life is better for it, I suggest everyone else do the same.

I also stopped watching ESPN for the same reason. Controversial drama manufacturing for the sake of attention whoring is not worthy of my time.

Joe T.

Sounds more like US media and politics need a ethics overhaul

Yes, they do. Singling out CNN for this only works if you're using it as an example of what's happened to our news organizations as a whole and it didn't start with the 2016 election. It might be time to revisit the Fairness Doctrine that Republicans fought to eliminate.

Dishwalla

Banned
Remember Headline News before Nancy Grace invaded and ruined the format?

I really liked that format because it was the brevity itself that kept reporting to the very base facts. Then, if I wanted to learn more about a story, I could seek it out online and read various sources. The Network nightly news are still very much like that. Local news and newspapers deserve our support as well.

Yep, I really miss that format of HLN, the 30 minute cycles of news left very little room for analysts to come in and give their opinions on stories, which is what plagues the rest of cable news. Robin Meade still reports on HLN in a similar format in the morning, so not all is lost.

Also I do like the nightly broadcast news shows, but I don't know I find towards the end of the newscast(like the last ten minutes or so) more filler comes in. Sure we all like positive news stories, but sometimes I have to question on whether those stories are worth covering and if maybe that time could be better used going into more detail about the more important stories from earlier in the broadcast.

Therion

Did anyone else read the thread title to the tune of Ice Ice Baby?
Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Yep, I really miss that format of HLN, the 30 minute cycles of news left very little room for analysts to come in and give their opinions on stories, which is what plagues the rest of cable news. Robin Meade still reports on HLN in a similar format in the morning, so not all is lost.

Also I do like the nightly broadcast news shows, but I don't know I find towards the end of the newscast(like the last ten minutes or so) more filler comes in. Sure we all like positive news stories, but sometimes I have to question on whether those stories are worth covering and if maybe that time could be better used going into more detail about the more important stories from earlier in the broadcast.

Still some quality work on PBS too. No wonder it's on the chopping block.

Vagabundo

I remember watching CNN in the mid eights here in Ireland. It was pretty good back then.

I remember being amazed at a channel that would just show news all the time.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Don Lemon actually impressed me last night in calling all of the Trump 'surveillance' claims complete and utter nonsense not worthy of further discussion.

Don Lemon impressed me.

Don Lemon.

Impressed.

Unfortunately the news needs to get ratings as well or the channel will cease to exist. We live in a country where public TV and especially public news is seen as unnecessary by one major party and even worse seen as a wing of the liberal agenda by followers of said party.

There is no easy solution to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom