• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: "Trump-Size Idea for a New President: Build Something Inspiring"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkangel

People laugh, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

Trump's whole election was based around the idea that America is "losing" and no longer does great things. Lower income workers in Rural America sort of projected their own socioeconomic insecurity onto the nation as a whole. They look around at the up and coming nations and see all sorts of cool tunnels and record-breaking skyscrapers.

A few "prestige" projects might be good for the nation's mental health. Imagine how awesome it would be to see the country united behind something like a Mars Mission?

People laugh, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

Trump's whole election was based around the idea that America is "losing" and no longer does great things. Lower income workers in Rural America sort of projected their own socioeconomic insecurity onto the nation as a whole. They look around at the up and coming nations and see all sorts of cool tunnels and record-breaking skyscrapers.

A few "prestige" projects might be good for the nation's mental health. Imagine how awesome it would be to see the country fully backing a Mars Mission.
What? These people have constantly rejected massive infrastructure and technological projects. Like national high speed rail.

I would be okay with him building a state of the art research center to make a revolutionary leap in battery and solar tech. Manhattan Project style. Not interested in footing the bill for more California and New York transit projects. Getting a handle on autonomous vehicles would be the solution to everyone's traffic, not just a handful of big cities.

Zubz

Banned
Our Airports do look horrible.

Obama should have done more for public works. But for example in NJ Chris Christie rejected the Federal money to improve roads because it required state matching funds and Christie kept saying "the credit card is maxed out"

Obama tried; Republicans blocked him at every step. Trump's plans for infrastructure are basically just a pricier version of Obama's without obstruction from a party that cares more about tarnishing legacies than they ever will about creating jobs.

Death_star1.png
If this were in his platform he would've gotten my vote.

Darkangel

What? These people have constantly rejected massive infrastructure and technological projects. Like national high speed rail.

You have to "sell" it to them.

I have no doubt that Trump could convince the general public that infrastructure spending will make America great again. The problem would be the actual Republican party.

kendrid

Banned
Why do people care what an airport looks like? I am there to get on a plane, not lounge around for days admiring the amazing architecture.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Trump's idea of "build something inspiring" will be a statue of himself.
This is what I'm afraid of. He could really do something great with infrastructure that will carry his name forever in the vein of Eisenhower interstate system or the Hoover dam. He could really make a difference for a century or more if he can be just a little humble and let his ambition lead and not his hubris.

Ouroboros

Well, he is right about your airports, they royally suck.

Lol, I remember him saying how much JFK airport sucked. And I thought to myself "well wait a minute, I've been in that airport a few times and its not THAT bad". But then while waiting for my flight it started raining and the rain was leaking into the building.

It was pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom