• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OB-GYN: Here Are Things Not to Put in Your Vagina 🚫➡️🌮

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kinda weird that people have to be told this. Don't fall for fake news, especially fake news about your vagina.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/11/style/dont-put-this-up-there.html

There are two themes at play that seem simultaneously opposing yet complementary: that natural is best and that the vagina is so dirty, fragile or in need of nourishment (or all three) that it is one wrong pair of underwear or wet bathing suit away from complete catastrophe.

And this is how lemon juice (ouch), yogurt, garlic (double ouch), cucumber and oregano oil (super, mega ouch) are finding their way into vaginas worldwide. No, you are not reading a recipe for tzatziki sauce.

Many of these supposed natural therapies claim to have supporting science, although what is offered as proof is easily dismissed with a cursory knowledge of reproductive physiology. Lemon juice is recommended to acidify the vagina (it cannot). Yogurt is suggested because its bacteria could help repopulate the healthy, vaginal bacteria (commercial yogurts don’t have the right strains). Sea sponges are recommended for menstrual hygiene (testing has revealed they have bacteria and debris and they could introduce far more oxygen — a bad thing — into the vagina than a tampon or menstrual cup).

What is simultaneously fascinating and depressing is that these “newly discovered ancient therapies” are neither ancient nor effective. Instead they are the result of celebrity wellness sites, social media and even some doctors recycling material from health almanacs and digests that used to be found at the grocery store and repackaging their content under the guise of female empowerment.

• Run if the therapy is said to be “proven.”
    The degree to which something is supposedly “proven” to treat a medical condition is inversely proportional to the number of studies supporting that claim.
    [*]Run if something is being sold. Anyone selling a product is by definition biased, whether it is “Big Pharma” or “Big Natural.”
    [*]Run if the recommendation is homeopathic products. A recent study tells us that doctors who recommend homeopathy are more likely to deviate from standard medical guidelines. In other words they are more likely to practice bad medicine.
    [*]Run if the advice relies on testimonials. I would never tell my patient “Well Sarah S. said it worked for her!” Sarah S. is not the same thing as science.
    [*]Run if it involves inserting food vaginally for health reasons. This is nonsense.
    [*]Run if they recommend vaginal cleaning of any kind. For instance, I’ve been hearing about “vaginal steaming.” It’s well meaning, but woefully misinformed. If your bottom is sore, use a sitz bath.
It’s stunning that in this great age of information that can we have so much misinformation about our bodies and our sexuality. The internet has changed the speed at which we can acquire medical information, but certainly not the accuracy.

What's not fake news is that unlike yogurt and garlic, I am perfectly safe and healthy to insert into your vagina.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
vAV97y2.jpg

Woo-Fu

Banned
Oh, i don't know, there is a point in a young man's life where he'll stick his dick in practically anything. Why would it be any different for women?

Top Bottom