• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama welcomes relatives of 1936 African-American Olympians

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelas

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/630eebc7bb5441e6b6c06eacec93d1ef/obama-welcomes-relatives-1936-african-american-olympians

WASHINGTON (AP) — Relatives of Jesse Owens and America's 17 other black athletes from the 1936 Olympics were welcomed to the White House on Thursday by President Barack Obama for the acknowledgement they didn't receive along with their white counterparts 80 years ago.

Along with the relatives of the 1936 African-American Olympians, gloved-fist protesters Tommie Smith and John Carlos and members of the 2016 U.S. Olympic and Paralympic teams met the president and first lady Michelle Obama. Obama congratulated the Rio athletes, thanked Smith and Carlos for waking up Americans in 1968 and praised 1936 Olympians who made a statement in front of Adolf Hitler in Nazi Germany.

After running down a list of accomplishments of U.S. athletes in Rio, Obama singled out some people who "paved the way" for the current diverse Olympic team.

Owens winning four gold medals and being snubbed by Hitler is a piece of American history, but Obama made sure to note that the accomplishments at the 1936 Berlin Olympics weren't just about him.

"It was other African-American athletes in the middle of Nazi Germany under the gaze of Adolf Hitler than put a lie to notions of racial superiority — whooped 'em and taught them a thing or two about democracy and taught them a thing or two about the American character," Obama said. "We're honored to have many of their families here today."

They also shared it with Smith and Carlos, who made their own American history 48 years ago when they raised their gloved fists on the medals stand at the Mexico City Olympics after the 200 meters in what they called "a human rights salute."

"We're proud of them," Obama said. "Their powerful silent protest in the 1968 Games was controversial, but it woke folks up and created greater opportunity for those that followed."
Obama pointed out that the diversity of the 2016 U.S. Olympic team was part of what made it successful. He singled out swimmers Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky and others, but the first three medalists he mentioned were gymnast Simone Biles, shot putter Michelle Carter and swimmer Simone Manuel, all of whom are black.

"Imagine what it means for a young girl or a young boy who sees somebody who looks like them doing something and being the best at what they do," Obama said. "There's no kid in American who can't look at our Olympic team and see themselves somewhere."

Owens said in interviews over the years that in 1936 President Franklin Roosevelt never sent him any words of congratulations or an invitation to the White House. Granddaughter Marlene Dortch said Tuesday night that her aunt, Marlene Owens Rankin, and other relatives going to the White House to see Obama would have made her grandfather "so happy."

I can't believe we went 80 years worth of Presidents without righting this wrong. Not even Bill stepped up. Thank you for getting it done Obama. Thank you for highlighting all of our 2016 athletes and their diversity.

I remember seeing in a recent documentary that Jesse Owens felt more slighted by FDR than Hitler. Apparently Hitler shook his hand behind closed doors, while FDR completely snubbed him altogether.

jett

D-Member
I remember seeing in a recent documentary that Jesse Owens felt more slighted by FDR than Hitler. Apparently Hitler shook his hand behind closed doors, while FDR completely snubbed him altogether.

Truly some unbelievable stuff in that era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Owens#1936_Berlin_Summer_Olympics

In Germany, Owens had been allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels as whites, at a time when African Americans in many parts of the United States had to stay in segregated hotels.

After the parade, Owens was not permitted to enter through the main doors of the Waldorf Astoria New York and instead forced to travel up to the event in a freight elevator to reach the reception honoring him.

"Hitler didn't snub me – it was our president who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."

I can't believe they haven't had this kind of recognition by the White House until now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yep, the real history is that Jessy Owens was really well treated in Germany, people were asking for autographs, inviting him over to their houses, etc.

It was the US who forbade the athletes from shaking hands with Hitler, not Hitler who refused to do so, because the US saw it as pro-German propaganda for Hitler to shake hands with them.

Pretty shameful for the US overall (not to forbid them to shake hands, but how they treated JO).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, Hitler was a two face weasel in that situation as well. Luz Long, who was a friend of Jesse Owens was sent to the war, when other Olympians were allowed to remain safe in Germany.

Still pretty horrible from FDR, like damn.

G.ZZZ

The democrats were the real racists all along?

Slayven

Yep, the real history is that Jessy Owens was really well treated in Germany, people were asking for autographs, inviting him over to their houses, etc.

It was the US who forbade the athletes from shaking hands with Hitler, not Hitler who refused to do so, because the US saw it as pro-German propaganda for Hitler to shake hands with them.

Pretty shameful for the US overall (not to forbid them to shake hands, but how they treated JO).

That was the good old days

I watched a documentary on famous New York broadcaster Marty Glickman I believe on HBO and ironically enough, There were two Jewish members on that Olympic track team that were replaced the day before competing with no explanation, Marty Glickman being one of them.

dabig2

Well yeah, right up till the sixties and the big switch

Yeah, people forget that a whole lot of racist conservatives were Democrats in the days before Civil Rights Era. Ronald Reagan being a notable one. Party labels mean nothing and even ideology itself is inconsistent when it comes to different topics. So FDR while liberal, was a bit racist himself and not someone I would call a friend of minorities. He wasn't George Wallace but he was still a product of a more racist time and was content with the racist hierarchy.
Just because you believe in helping the poor and common man above corporations and the excess of unfettered capitalism doesn't mean you're a humanitarian with progressive outlooks on race, gender, sexual preference, etc. And that remains as true today as it was back then. 'Big tent' and all of that.

Good on Obama for trying to right another wrong of this racist ass country's past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom