• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ocarina of time remake the FFVII treatment

Rodolink

If they ever give the FFVII treatment to Zelda it should have these aesthetics.
Like a mix between Ghibli and realistic obscure like Dark Souls.
they won't ever do that, Nintendo never does what we want 😔

Edit:
I should've explained myself better, sorry. For the FFVII treatment I was referring more to the visual quality than to the exact aesthetics.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’d love to see a Zelda game that looked like that, but it’s probably time to leave Ocarina of Time alone for a while. Multiple GameCube discs featuring, Virtual Console, the 3DS Remake, the overall fervor following it in the 2000s, the Zelda team being obsessed with it in ensuing stories, or outright trying to copy it to best it...

It was wonderful, but it comes a time for it to rest for a little while, like Link’s Awakening did, only to delight everyone again.

If they ever do a remake though, it probably would benefit them to go more FF7. I don’t think pairing Unreal Engine 4 with N64 areas and writing, is going to produce anything that isn’t completely dissonant. I’d love to see the world and story rethought and reimagined at modern (not BotW, but a bit bigger) scale.

Birdo

Banned
The low-poly look of the original is kind of the charm for me. It's an atmosphere that doesn't exist in modern games.

They would just make it look all dark and gritty if they remade it with modern visuals.

rubhen925

Why? The amount of time and resources needed to make remakes, might as well use them to make new ips and games. Remakes don't add new enemies, mechanics or gameplay. Just a coat of paint.

The talent and resources could be used go make advances in modern gaming. Just food for thought

Belmonte

Too sad and introspective. OoT is about heroism and energy against the growing darkness.

Link is a classic hero. Not an anti-hero or a broken hero which are so common in modern times. Despite being only a kid, dude is courage itself and this demands an optimist vibe.

It is a cool idea. But not for this story IMO.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nah i rather play the oot remake in one go.
Just play the 3ds version on citra
Not 10 parts like ff7 remake might be 🤣
"Treatment" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

FStubbs

No thank you. FF7 was a "cinematic" game from the beginning so this kind of remake fits. Sort of.
Ocarina of Time? Nope. Completely different experience - an episodic remake like FF7 would never work.

Dthomp

No, we are already having an all time classic ruined by peoples need to remake everything, we don't need another classic butchered (Although I would trust N more then SE with not completely changing the way the game plays...)

Meesh

As Ocarina is so near and dear to me I think they should let it go for awhile, when they decide to revisit it for whatever reason I know they'll do it justice.
That said, some kind of fairy tale, Ghibli, dark punk grit could most definitely work for Majoras Mask and I personally think more people need to be introduced to it.

Rodolink

The low-poly look of the original is kind of the charm for me. It's an atmosphere that doesn't exist in modern games.

They would just make it look all dark and gritty if they remade it with modern visuals.
I gotta agree with that, the low poly blurry textures of N64 add to nostalgia too well.
Why? The amount of time and resources needed to make remakes, might as well use them to make new ips and games. Remakes don't add new enemies, mechanics or gameplay. Just a coat of paint.

The talent and resources could be used go make advances in modern gaming. Just food for thought
Yeah just my point of view, would be nice to play the classic with modern aesthetics that's all.
Like this?

Nah that just feels Unreal, no artistic direction whatsoever.

Interesting, I never thought the way I felt about OoT was so different. It's the most epic Zelda tale in the traditional way. It has many re-editions but only one remake or I would say a remaster (3DS one) a proper remake has not been done yet and 20years after seemed right. Maybe they'll wait for 30years or maybe never who knows
I guess ill just go play the original again xD or wait for a N64 mini.

royox

OOT was perfect and still is a 100% perfectly playable game with high Res and 60fps mods (Or the Re-Releases for GameCube/Wii eshop).

FFVII was just a 3D mess and needed the Remake.

BlackTron

OOT is one of my favorite games of all time and I've been hoping for/expecting a remake ever since I knew the Gamecube was coming out.

-the Gamecube bonus disc is just a way to play the game on a Gamecube. It looked a bit crisper but I still preferred the original controller for this game.

- I don't like Grezzo's changes on the 3DS remake. The animations are bad. And regardless this is a console game, I can only play it on a portable now? As far as I was concerned this didn't even count.

In short, I'm still waiting for a proper remake of this game. It deserves a full-blown, modern console remake treatment. I don't want them to leave it alone, I've been waiting for it since 2001.

Shadow temple, blood is missing on the floor below the Rack.

This is honestly an incredibly minor issue which is more than made up for by the improved controls, menus, graphics and framerate.

3DS Ocarina of Time is the definitive version.

Last edited:

Rodolink

OOT is one of my favorite games of all time and I've been hoping for/expecting a remake ever since I knew the Gamecube was coming out.

-the Gamecube bonus disc is just a way to play the game on a Gamecube. It looked a bit crisper but I still preferred the original controller for this game.

- I don't like Grezzo's changes on the 3DS remake. The animations are bad. And regardless this is a console game, I can only play it on a portable now? As far as I was concerned this didn't even count.

In short, I'm still waiting for a proper remake of this game. It deserves a full-blown, modern console remake treatment. I don't want them to leave it alone, I've been waiting for it since 2001.
I knew I was not alone.
giphy.gif

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

I agree with a lot of these points. While I can understand the 3DS version is great and popular, I need a real console remake.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Counterpoint: nah. I played OOT on 3DS recently and the game holds up really well (way better than I thought it would) and looks fine. OOT has none of the issues that FF7 does.

Remakes are the ultimate "be careful what you wish for" thing. Look, you have at least one person here who didn't like the relatively minor changes made on the 3DS version - why does anyone automatically think a full-blown remake from the ground up wouldn't be full of changes they won't like? And the fact is that is normally what happens. So far remakes/remasters don't have a very good track record and I'm a bit surprised to see gamers still clamoring for them.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Counterpoint: nah. I played OOT on 3DS recently and the game holds up really well (way better than I thought it would) and looks fine. OOT has none of the issues that FF7 does.

Remakes are the ultimate "be careful what you wish for" thing. Look, you have at least one person here who didn't like the relatively minor changes made on the 3DS version - why does anyone automatically think a full-blown remake from the ground up wouldn't be full of changes they won't like? And the fact is that is normally what happens. So far remakes/remasters don't have a very good track record and I'm a bit surprised to see gamers still clamoring for them.

A OOT remake would be nice with the Breath of the Wild formula. But it's too soon. Maybe 2 generations from now....

Fuck it I say remake the game near exactly as it was but use the BOTW engine and a slightly modified art style. Just make the game play a bit more modern dont change it too much.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fuck it I say remake the game near exactly as it was but use the BOTW engine and a slightly modified art style. Just make the game play a bit more modern dont change it too much.

These remakes always end up being monkeypawed for a large chunk of people who wanted it. What if they don't make it this way? Chances are they wouldn't.

I bet if you told Ratchet & Clank fans that they'd get a remake of the first game this gen they would have been extremely happy. But virtually every R&C fan hates that game for a huge variety of reasons (well detailed in YouTube).

Last edited:

Rodolink

These remakes always end up being monkeypawed for a large chunk of people who wanted it. What if they don't make it this way? Chances are they wouldn't.

I bet if you told Ratchet & Clank fans that they'd get a remake of the first game this gen they would have been extremely happy. But virtually every R&C fan hates that game for a huge variety of reasons (well detailed in YouTube).
I understand your points and being Nintendo they probaly will make it so different on purpose to divide players and keep engagement and sales.

But even that way it will be interesting to see how this is done for the better or worse. Specially if handled to someone like Retro Studios or Bluepoint.

The 3DS ones are good remasters same as the WW HD and TP HD. Maybe they can make the 3ds version for switch with HD textures and models thatd be nice.

Top Bottom