• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF. Help me make the perfect Porridge

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Saw a couple threads earlier tonight asking us older members to post something and while I'm more of a reactionary poster, I think I thought of something that is original that hasn't been discussed a million times over.

I'm looking for a recipe. And I'm going to go off of what my childhood brain remembers.

When we used to visit my grandfather, he would make the best porridge that I've ever tasted. He would have it ready for us when me and my brothers got up. We would sit down at my grand dad's kitchen table and everything would be ready. Cream, a shaker for white sugar, and a bag for brown sugar. Brown sugar clumps up like nobodies business. When grand dad gave us the bowl, you would put in the cream, stir it around a bit, then apply the white sugar and then top it off with the brown sugar.

Now that's not the important part.

What I remember is seeing my grand dad using 2 pots. A large one and then a smaller one that sat in the bigger one. All on the stove. Things were bubbling and bursting and he took care of it. Now, I'm originally from Canada and I moved to the US 20 years ago. At the time, there was no such thing as Malt-O-Meal as far as my recollection goes. At least, that was something my parents never had in the house. But it seems very similar. I had an ex that showed me that when I confided to her about one of my favorite foods coming down from Canada.

After my grand dad passed, my dad told me that it was something my grand dad learned during WWII as he was a cook for the Canadian Army on the front lines. Apparently it makes a huge mess with the bubbling and it's a bitch to clean the pots. But my grand dad did it every time we visited.

I figure it's late enough that some of GAFs UK elder members may be able to provide some insight and I'm wondering if that was a staple over in the UK. For reference, until the day he died, my grandfather refused to salute the Maple Leaf because that was not the flag he signed up and fought for.

That last part was a bit off topic, but considering the ask that I saw form GAF earlier today, I thought I'd oblige.

But really, I'm interested in the ingredients to make the porridge and the cooking method my grandfather used so I can give it to my family 2 generations apart.

For others wondering, it was mush. There was no texture. It had the same texture as baby food. But then you mixed in the cream and a bit of sugar? Oh my god.

70 grams of oats
1 pint of semi skimmed milk
6 minutes microwave on full crack (varies depending on power of microwave)
Stir in 2 scoops of favourite protein powder ( vanilla or chocolate I find best)
Add splash of milk to loosen if needed

That’s my breakfast every morning. It’s a large portion though.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
70 grams of oats
1 pint of semi skimmed milk
6 minutes microwave on full crack (varies depending on power of microwave)
Stir in 2 scoops of favourite protein powder ( vanilla or chocolate I find best)
Add splash of milk to loosen if needed

That’s my breakfast every morning. It’s a large portion though.
I'll give it a shot!

Thank you :)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Can't say I've ever tried porridge.
Porridge can mean many different things to many different people depending on where you grew up. I think we all agree that the main ingredient is oats like Dee Dah Dave Dee Dah Dave pointed out with his or her recipe.

For me the closest thing I can compare it to is cream o' wheat here in the US after being down here for so many years. But my grandpa's was different. I suspect I may have rose colored glasses and that's all he did. It was just the same packet under a different name. Heh, seeing as my dad told me it was from my grand dad's time in the military, I wouldn't be surprised. Is anyone familiar with using 2 pots to prepare this stuff? I'm suspecting the larger pot was used to boil water and yet while the larger pot was boiling water, the smaller had at least some water in it so things wouldn't burn.

I'm looking online and apparently this is a very Canadian thing. At least in the western part of Canada this was a staple. Along with perogies. You could buy them by the kg in Canada and here you have to go to Albertsons and spend $8 for a pack of 6.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It's a late bump, but I found it!!!! I found it searching on the internet on Saturday and then I went and got the ingredients and made it!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1431/perfect-porridge

I don't know if it's exactly what my Grandfather made but it brought back memories of my childhood when I made it!!!

Cream, white, and brown sugar are recommended. And a tiny plastic cup (that hasn't seen activity for months) that is filled with whole milk and you grab it with 2 hands and drink it down.

I regretted making this thread because it was specifically about a food group, but it helped me search it out and while I didn't do the 2 pots, I got to relive my childhood memories! Woo!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For anyone who has never tried porridge, find a good Chinese restaurant and order it with some meat and veggies mixed in with it, with a bit of soy sauce. It looks gross, but is so tasty.

I don't think it's even hard to make. I have a hard time believe these Asian places spend a lot of time and money on fancy ingredients.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I thought porridge was just oatmeal but I've always had an inkling of a thought there was more to it than that (I'm an American).

Going by what I've seen here, seems it's more than just oatmeal. Looks good.
I think I'll start another thread about forgotten recopies from the greatest generation that was handed down to us x and millenials. I think the boomers have something to say, but a lot of times they don't provide it unless they think they can make some money.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought porridge was just oatmeal but I've always had an inkling of a thought there was more to it than that (I'm an American).

I've had oatmeal, but not English/American porridge. I didn't know there even was such a thing.

Only porridge I've had is Chinese porridge made with rice and meat.

Shifty

Here in the UK at least, it's just a heated mix of oatmeal and milk, maybe garnished with something like honey or berries if you're feeling fancy.

The addition of yogurt in that recipe seems like a 'new age' take on the concept.

Last edited:
Top Bottom