• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once is one of the greatest modern films I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I was sitting with my older sister who doesn't watch movies at all. Her family is very conservative and very Christian, so most movies will just put her off. Last night, I decided to play what is probably my second favorite film of all time.

Apart from 2006 and 2007 when people were discussing this movie, it seems to be one of the most forgotten of all the acclaimed 2000s movies. I don't know if people soured on it, heard that one song too many times, or what. However, I believe that "Once" by Jim Carney is a soaring triumph.

For those who have not seen it, I will be discussing key plot points, musical selection, and the general structure of the film, so you've been warned. I also might make comparisons to Sing Street, Begin Again, and even the recent La La Land.

Once_(2006_film)poster.jpg

I'm going to talk about this film from my personal experience without diving into research notes about it because I tend to get details confused when I do that.

Once is set in Dublin, Ireland at some point around the time in which the film was released. It is not given a specific date. It follows two characters, both of whom are aspiring musicians who have other jobs. They don't have names in the film but are simply called "Boy" and "Girl". I give them names sometimes for simplicity but it changes from time to time.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova play the title roles, and are in my opinion the best people that will ever play the roles. The film is shot on perhaps one of the smallest budgets I have ever seen, but gives an authentic and folksy portrait of Ireland. My sister had been to Ireland and appreciated the film's locations.

Glen Hansard plays an Irish vacuum cleaner repair man who lives with his father after a failed relationship ended in his girl's infidelity. He is portrayed to be in his late 30s, perhaps around the age of Hansard at the time. On the side, he is a passionate an talented street musician with a charmingly broken guitar. He plays other people's music during the day when people will listen and his own at night. His ex-girlfriend has moved back to London after their relationship disintegrated.

Marketa Irglova is a young woman who lives with her mother in a small apartment and sells anything she can to provide for her young daughter Ivana (Ivanka?). She is from the Czech Republic and is estranged from her husband who fathered the child. She sells flowers and magazines in the film in between maintaining her secret passion to play the piano and sing, of which she does beautifully in the film.

As the film opens, you meet Glen Hansard's character on the street, singing for coins when a man steals his day's take. He chases after him, eventually getting the money back. He and the man talk and Hansard forgives the man, setting the tone for the amiable Irish brotherhood that seems to extend to all the poor of this film.

In the title credits, Hansard sings "Say It to me Now", which is when he first meets the film's female lead. She offers him 10 cents, which he sarcastically accepts. They talk about their pasts and she wonders who he writes these passionate songs for. He gives some vague details about the girl who is now "gone" and tells of his real job fixing vacuum cleaners. It just so happens that she has a broken vacuum cleaner so the two will no doubt meet again.

You see some scenes of the characters eating and getting to know each other in a cafe and on the bus, but it is here that the film's entire structure comes into focus. This is not merely a drama but it certainly isn't a traditional musical. These aren't actors who could carry a scene like Daniel Day Lewis nor are they going to launch into "I Dreamed a Dream" like Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables.

They have casual conversations about the longing and hurt they feel towards their past relationships, but never is their affection for each other really addressed. However, as a viewer, you feel them warming to each other. They have a real chemistry which is no accident since they aren't very good actors, but they did date in real life.

Anyway, Irglova's characters tells him that she loves the piano and so the two venture into a music shop where they play what is perhaps the most well-known song, the Oscar-winning "Falling Slowly". She can't afford a piano on her own so this is her chance to show off what is in his opinion an incredible talent. I think the reason people forget the movie is that they often think this song is the whole movie, but it isn't. It's also dozens of other great songs but also a well-written story and some excellent and affecting filming of a beautiful city.

So that night, Glen Hansard's character takes his new female companion to his place and propositions her to stay the night, which she pretty emphatically rejects, basically telling him to fuck off. He apologizes the next day, but it is pretty clear from this point in the film that there is more to this situation than a couple of heartbroken people falling madly in love.

It's from here that I'm not going to recount the film scene by scene, even though I could as short as it is because I want to get to what I really love about "Once".

So Irglova (which is what I'm calling this nameless character from now on) introduces Hansard (ditto) to her mother and daughter, as well as the trio of guys who come over to watch the only television in her apartment building. They are obviously friends of her husband, who is still back in the Czech Republic. Hansard begins to realize that he casually dismissed this girl as a one-night stand when she is in fact a decent person with her own life. This only makes him want to get to know her more.

Several of the film's biggest story points are told through songs rather than dialogue, which is to the film's credit since all the music is brilliant and the actors are in fact musicians. Hansard and Irglova exchange musical collaborations at this point and it's clear that they have a profound respect for one another. Irglova wants for him that he reunite with the girl who broke his heart, while he still holds out hope that she will run away with him.

After a few song sequences that give us some insight into each character's longing and heartbreak, and some beautiful and authentic looks at some Irish gathering places where songs and stories are exchanged, both characters talk about their plans. Hansard decides to reconcile with his girlfriend in London and Irglova is trying to reconnect with her husband.

Before either of these two things takes place, Hansard wants to make a record to commemorate their time together. They haggle with a recording studio and rent it out, enlisting the help of some fellow struggling street musicians in the bargain. They spend the entire night putting every ounce of musical energy into this recording, perhaps knowing that this is the last time they will see one another. This is not a story of a band that made it big, though the music is all excellent, but they make their record and share their heartache.

Hansard makes a desperate attempt to spend the night or day with her but she has to get back. She is really making a play to get her husband back, despite Hansard's attempts to inquire about whether she really loves him.

Hansard shows up at her doorstep in the film's last sequence to say goodbye but she is working. He walks away and returns to the music shop where they first played together. He has a word with the owner.

As he leaves for England, you see the piano they were playing arrive from a delivery truck. She holds her husband and he holds their baby. She looks out the window and wonders what could have been, which closes the film.

So...that's the plot. It doesn't sound like much on paper, but to me this film is so utterly effective in its craft that it completely destroys three obvious barriers it has built into it

1) It uses amateur actors. No one in this film is anything more than serviceable, which actually works in their favor because the director wisely uses what charms they do have and their incredible musical talent. As another bonus, the characters come off as completely unpretentious. You genuinely believe they are struggling Irish street musicians, because some of them were. The music is real.

2) The movie has no budget. The movie uses the city of Dublin, Ireland like a rustic canvas to tell the story, and although you know how cheap it was to make, it actually serves the impoverished characters because their story is so humble. Plus, Ireland is beautiful pretty much no matter where you are, city or country at least to me.

3) The film is based mainly on characters playing music. Most people don't like musicals because of the action-breaking launch into song that cheeses up the screen, but every song in here is sung at a time when someone would actually be singing. This film changed the definition of the musical to something more authentic.

Jim Carney has not done a better film since. Begin Again is better acted, but comes across as hollow because of the polished look and unconvincing struggle of Keira Knightley's character. Sing Street is great, but doesn't have enough high quality songs to work.

The recent movie "La La Land" is another showbiz story of boy meets girl, and I will not spoil that film at all. It is actually trying to be a traditional drama and musical and does so in a charming way. It will probably win the academy award this year. But for me, Once captures some of the same themes as La La Land and does so in a way that comes across as raw and real, without any of the budget.

In conclusion, Once is far more than that movie that has Falling Slowly. It is a soaring triumph that makes me feel great every time I watch it. It is not depressing and cynical as many movies are, and I feel hopeful with each new viewing. I know you're eager to eviscerate my hyberbole, but I'll say it. Once is a fucking masterpiece.

Dali

Love the song. The ending was a little too real for me, but I guess the whole movie was steeped in reality and not really trying to be some sort of fairy tale.

There's a Last Man on Earth episode where Tandy and Mike keep singing Falling Slowly to each other and it makes me happier than anything.

UberTag

As someone that enjoyed both Begin Again and Sing Street quite a bit, I really ought to make the time to catch the definitive Jim Carney flick sometime.

First time I saw this movie it wrecked me like four different ways. I love it to death.

Would pay good money for a 45 single of

Broken-Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy
b/w
Fuck Her, She's Gone.

What I like is that the scene where he's teaching her "Falling Slowly" is very implausible, really, but it doesn't even register how supernatural their ability to come together on that song would have to be for that scene to play out like it does, because everything about it is so fucking charming why would you question it?

The first time it even occurred to me to pick at it was when a musician I knew was talking shit about how "unrealistic" the movie was, and I thought he was talking about the plot, or maybe even the recording studio shit (he helped out at a studio at the time) but he was talking about how "ridiculous" that piano store scene was.

He was the kind of dude who watches Looney Tunes and complains about the velocity of falling boulders, basically.

gamz

It's a Masterpiece. Modern musical done right.

Probably have seen it at least 8-10 times. If not more.

The store scene in Once and Before Sunrise music booth scenes are two of my favorites of all time. Perfect in every way.

Speevy

Banned
What I like is that the scene where he's teaching her "Falling Slowly" is very implausible, really, but it doesn't even register how supernatural their ability to come together on that song would have to be for that scene to play out like it does, because everything about it is so fucking charming why would you question it?

The first time it even occurred to me to pick at it was when a musician I knew was talking shit about how "unrealistic" the movie was, and I thought he was talking about the plot, or maybe even the recording studio shit (he helped out at a studio at the time) but he was talking about how "ridiculous" that piano store scene was.

He was the kind of dude who watches Looney Tunes and complains about the velocity of falling boulders, basically.

Well yeah, but this falls into the category of knowing your audience and extrapolating the unknown.

There are 2 types of people who will watch either of these scenes, and those are the people who know that real music-making doesn't work like this and those who believe it does.

For the former group, it's a decision of economy and efficiency to have the music play this way, an expression of passion that the music is made perfectly that way. It's art, and that's how art works. The movie is not a documentary.

For the latter group, which includes most of the population, they see a couple of really talented people who know what they are doing. They have no interest in questioning musicianship because to see a painstaking composition or a bad recording session would be a bad viewing experience.

In other words, the audience gets it, either way, and it's not a valid criticism.

Yeah, definitely in my top ten. No idea what to expect when I checked it out..didn't realize I'd be going through every fucking human emotion lol. The music is just glorious..sits in my car's hard drive till I die.

RS4-

Lol, you know how long I've had the movie and never seen it? Since day 1. It was always about the song.

I should really make the time to watch it.

In other words, the audience gets it, either way, and it's not a valid criticism.

That's basically how I answered him, yeah.

Never did get to see Swell Season live when they came through after the film had blown up, although I heard that Glen Hansard would open the shows with "Say it to me now" without any microphone or amplification. He'd hit the chorus and basically just start screaming it out like he does, and it would actually fill the halls they were playing.

gamz

“A little movie called Once gave me enough inspiration to last the rest of the year,”
-Stephen Spielberg.

The late great Ebert's review is great also.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/once-2007

And all with their love, and our love for their love, only growing. At one point he asks if she still loves her husband, and she answers in Czech, and the movie doesn't subtitle her answer, because if she'd wanted subtitles, she would have answered in English, which she speaks perfectly well.

“Once” is the kind of film I've been pestered about ever since I started reviewing again. People couldn't quite describe it, but they said I had to see it. I had to. Well, I did. They were right.

dcassell

Banned
Once is what inspired me to start singing back in high school, which led to me getting a music scholarship to go to college. I can confidently say this movie changed my life. There's something really beautiful about how the music making is filmed in this movie. I idolized Glen Hansard for like three years after seeing this.

Speevy

Banned
probably

i've seen better musicals, and love stories, and musicals that are love stories, this was one was super predictable with some of the crummiest "comic relief" characters ever put on a stage

I've never seen the musical on stage but I'm betting that at the very least you would enjoy the film more.

Try it out.

Kazen

Neo Member
The Broadway musical is one of the best musical experiences I've had in my entire life.

The movie is also pretty good, not as good as the musical tho.

Speevy

Banned
The Broadway musical is one of the best musical experiences I've had in my entire life.

The movie is also pretty good, not as good as the musical tho.

You're the second or third person to say this in the thread, and although I can't agree or disagree since I haven't seen the Broadway musical, I will offer one thought.

By most critics' account, the movie Once bridged the gap between movie and musical. That it's a great stage musical will do nothing for people who won't go to stage musicals.

Just my take. I wish I had been given the opportunity to see it on Broadway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom