• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oneplus 6 announced with a glass back and a notched 6.3-inch display

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
akrales180514_2563_0235.0.jpg

ONEPLUS 6 ANNOUNCED WITH A GLASS BACK AND A NOTCHED 6.3-INCH DISPLAY
On sale May 22nd, with a starting price of $529

A little earlier than its usual June refresh window, OnePlus has revealed its new flagship Android device today, the OnePlus 6. The most controversial aspect of the new design, the notch at the top of the 6.3-inch 19:9 OLED display, has already been the subject of a preemptive rationalization from the company, and fan demands have been answered with the added option to conceal the notch by putting a black bar on the screen around it.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/16/17359916/oneplus-6-phone-specs-release-date-price-announced

camelCase

Does everyone just text with two hands now? It looks like that hand model would have a difficult time typing a text with just the hand she uses to hold the phone.

Winchester

Eeesh. Had the Nexus 4 back in the day. The OG glass phone. Shattered the back of that thing with one tiny drop. Would never rock a phone with a glass back again. Also, 6.3 inches? Come on, they're getting into tablet sized territory. Nexus 6 was too big and that was 3 years ago now? 5.2 to 5.5 is the sweet spot.

Pejo

Gold Member
I've been a Oneplus user for like 3 phones now, I really love what they've put out, but....

WHY do they still not put an expandable storage slot in their fucking phones? I was sure this would be the revision that does it, but nope. So frustrating.

I'm in the market right now for a new phone, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the s9+ or Oneplus 6. I hate the Samsung bloatware that comes on every product they make (advertisements in my TV input menu really pissed me off) but at least they let me use a microSD card. Not sure what I'm going to do just yet. They're having a pop-up event in San Francisco, so I might drive into the city to check it out in person.

Social

Make a 4-4.2 inch Android One phone with great specs and a great camera and watch everyone buy it.
These big phones are really getting out of hand, how is that even useable?

JDB

Banned
Who are these people asking for glass backsides of phones? I already have one fragile side of my phone that costs a fortune to repair, I don't need another.

Pejo

Gold Member
Who are these people asking for glass backsides of phones? I already have one fragile side of my phone that costs a fortune to repair, I don't need another.
I think the move is due to signal loss with metallic bodies and the opportunity to do things like wireless charging, which again can't be done with metal. Plus it looks/feels premium to most people. I'm not entirely sold on it yet either though, especially in this case where you still don't have wireless charging.

Takuan

Does it have a case or something? Why do the borders around the screen look kind of thicc, especially toward the bottom of the phone.

I love OP devices for the slick performance, but their camera game is not up to par with the likes of Samsung, Google. and now Huawei. I'll be all over this if the camera's been upgraded to at least S8 levels (my current phone, which I don't mind, but don't love).

cryptoadam

Banned
Sexy phone, but pretty much an IPHONE X clone. Is that what we will have to deal with now notches on every phone? OMG.

My only hope is for Samsung to save us from our notch future.

Top Bottom