• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pennsylvania GOP Moves To Impeach Supreme Court Democrats For Gerrymandering Ruling

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ymandering-ruling_us_5ab16875e4b0decad044dee0

Exert from the article states: "A dozen GOP Pennsylvania lawmakers filed legislation on Tuesday to impeach four Democratic state Supreme Court justices who ruled the state’s congressional map was unconstitutionally gerrymandered and replaced it with a new one. "

This was a map that rewarded the GOP a 13 seat advantage I believe when the votes were pretty close to even. It was redrawn by a third party versed in this kind of procedure. Now the GOP only would have a 4 seat advantage in the state with an even number of votes.

This is why I say that the modern-day GOP is just a party of fascists.

That's not to say that conservatives/people with right-wing ideology in general are fascists. But boy are the actual elected GOP officials in this country trying their hardest for a full-blown authoritarian takeover.

Corrik

There are arguments both ways. Yes, it is gerrymandered badly. On the other hand, the laws regarding it give the authority to them to make the maps, not the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.

That said, I highly doubt this will actually happen. If it does, there will be a lot of backlash among voters anyways.

3rdman

There are arguments both ways. Yes, it is gerrymandered badly. On the other hand, the laws regarding it give the authority to them to make the maps, not the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.

That said, I highly doubt this will actually happen. If it does, there will be a lot of backlash among voters anyways.
As I understand it, the court didn't draw up the map...that was done by a bipartisan committee after multiple maps were rejected by a state judge. This started because the people voted in a measure to their state constitution to end gerrymandering...

Corrik

As I understand it, the court didn't draw up the map...that was done by a bipartisan committee after multiple maps were rejected by a state judge. This started because the people voted in a measure to their state constitution to end gerrymandering...
I do not remember ever seeing a measure voted on. I am from PA. Not saying you are wrong, but I do not remember seeing one whenever I voted.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...p-Congressional-Gerrymandering-474614363.html

Basically here is the gist. Republicans got a majority. Redrew the lines via the rules established in a partisan move along party lines. The PA Supreme Court had the maps thrown out via a Partisan Vote along party lines. A map was redrawn. Republicans are trying to impeach the judges for voting politically instead of following the letter of the law as their job requires (hahaha c'mon now). If the House gets a simple majority, which is republican, then the PA Senate acts as basically jurors in choosing to convict or not to remove.

Basically, they followed the rules, but the rules were stupid to begin with. The normal process would have been to have the rules changed to properly handle this. But, the party in power obviously isn't going to give that power away. So here you are.

And, this is politics 101 in basically every facet of government. Voting along party lines anymore is the main thing we always see. It is the drawback of our 2 party system.

Sàmban

Banned
“Liberals, please stop allowing authoritarians to hijack the left”

I’m sure this is all political posturing, but the optics of seeing this thread and the quoted thread in succession cracked me up pretty good.

Last edited:

Spheyr

Banned
Man, can you imagine if the Democrats decided they wanted to impeach a sitting official just because he's doing things within the purview of his job that they don't like because his policies favor a different political ideology than theirs?

Sure would be crazy if there were like a whole movement to resist every single thing he did even when he's acting within the law and they tried to sabotage his legal actions via threatening impeachment 24/7....

Would be crazy right? What a world!

Trogdor1123

Gerrymandering shouldn't be allowed any where. It's a disgusting practice. Borders should all be set by impartial third parties using criteria that is clear and fair. Makes me mad and really works against democracy properly functioning.

Corrik

Gerrymandering shouldn't be allowed any where. It's a disgusting practice. Borders should all be set by impartial third parties using criteria that is clear and fair. Makes me mad and really works against democracy properly functioning.
I agree. It happens in a lot of places, however. Usually not as drastic as in this case.

It is almost impossible to find impartial third parties anymore at this point.

rokkerkory

Remove gerrymandering or limit it is the right way.

Also repeal citizen's united BS.

TheMikado

Banned
I do not remember ever seeing a measure voted on. I am from PA. Not saying you are wrong, but I do not remember seeing one whenever I voted.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...p-Congressional-Gerrymandering-474614363.html

Basically here is the gist. Republicans got a majority. Redrew the lines via the rules established in a partisan move along party lines. The PA Supreme Court had the maps thrown out via a Partisan Vote along party lines. A map was redrawn. Republicans are trying to impeach the judges for voting politically instead of following the letter of the law as their job requires (hahaha c'mon now). If the House gets a simple majority, which is republican, then the PA Senate acts as basically jurors in choosing to convict or not to remove.

Basically, they followed the rules, but the rules were stupid to begin with. The normal process would have been to have the rules changed to properly handle this. But, the party in power obviously isn't going to give that power away. So here you are.

And, this is politics 101 in basically every facet of government. Voting along party lines anymore is the main thing we always see. It is the drawback of our 2 party system.

This isn’t a 100% fair assessment.
What actually happened was that an Independent voter group sued on the grounds that the district lines were unconstitutional and a result of gerrymandering which they won because it was gerrymandering.

To be I still don’t understand the GOP position. The map prior was heavily skewed in their favor and now it’s only partially skewed in their favor. So I’m assuming the only intention is to delay implementation until after the midterms and the claims that it’s democratic gerrymandering are just to confuse the public because the make still skews towards GOP.

For reference the PA courts used an independent map mapper and part of this was determined to help more accurately reflect the popular vote which according to PA constitution is what the districts are suppose to represent is the population.

Sàmban

Banned
gerrymandering is bad the democrat cries, as he imports millions of immigrants in order to get the election results he wants

no such thing exist

This isn’t t_d or 4chan. Go post this garbage over there.

Last edited:

Blackie

Pretty gross. This is a classic example of how desperate and unethical the GOP can/will be to hold onto power at ANY cost.

This isn’t a 100% fair assessment.
What actually happened was that an Independent voter group sued on the grounds that the district lines were unconstitutional and a result of gerrymandering which they won because it was gerrymandering.

To be I still don’t understand the GOP position. The map prior was heavily skewed in their favor and now it’s only partially skewed in their favor. So I’m assuming the only intention is to delay implementation until after the midterms and the claims that it’s democratic gerrymandering are just to confuse the public because the make still skews towards GOP.

For reference the PA courts used an independent map mapper and part of this was determined to help more accurately reflect the popular vote which according to PA constitution is what the districts are suppose to represent is the population.

It was already set up to go into effect in 2020, so it wouldn't of affected midterms from my understanding.

This was a power grab. There's absolutely no penalty for trying this.

Ah yes. It's all the immigrants fault. Didn't see that coming.
This isn’t t_d or 4chan. Go post this garbage over there.

Seriously, what do immigrants have to do with voting demographics? We don't just hand over citizenships.

When ignorant comments such as those are allowed to be given the same weight as those that actually have merit, severe polarization occurs.

Last edited:
Seriously, fuck the Republican Party. Now, I'm a proud conservative 100%, but the GOP is a joke. I don't like political parties in general and would be happy if they were abolished, but if any party was the big face of conservatism, I'd much rather it be the Libertarian Party than the Republican Party. Sadly, we don't live in a perfect world, and a third party has a hard time making progress, even if it's a better party than the big two.

Corrik

Seriously, fuck the Republican Party. Now, I'm a proud conservative 100%, but the GOP is a joke. I don't like political parties in general and would be happy if they were abolished, but if any party was the big face of conservatism, I'd much rather it be the Libertarian Party than the Republican Party. Sadly, we don't live in a perfect world, and a third party has a hard time making progress, even if it's a better party than the big two.
How could the libertarian party possible be the face of conservatism? What? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

3rdman

It seems I was incorrect believing the people had voted for this...That's what was done in Florida and I got them confused so sorry for muddying the conversation.

Still, I'm glad this to this happening as it undermines the basic tenet of democracy (one person, one vote) and proper representation in government. In theory, it should relegate the fringes to where they belong and leave the moderates (read: adults) in charge.

Top Bottom