• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

penny-arcade - cost cutting measures

Matlock

Banned
20060203.jpg

The new strip is now available - you should be able to perceive it with your optic nerve. It started out with a discussion of the EA layoffs and the odd nomenclature they used to describe what they did. They have to keep changing the words they use to describe this process, because people catch on to this shit. You can't really get away with a term like resizing anymore, because people are like, wait... You're changing the size? Well, what is the new size? That seems smaller. Did you fire someone? etc.

And now we see why, of course - those gods must have their sacrifice. If you lost your job because it was Q4 and this number was not larger than that number, you have our condolences.

After that the comic went to a strange place. Korea, actually.

M3wThr33

Banned
I still like their post about PA Premium.
It's free.
Unlike a certain 3 Finger Salute that charges money for nothing.

Luckett_X

Banned
I did indeed laugh out loud.

SSJ3 Tycho is... all kinds of awesome. Note the watch is also present. Such a beloved bit of continuity!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Luckett_X said:

SSJ3 Tycho is... all kinds of awesome. Note the watch is also present. Such a beloved bit of continuity!

That is the only thing that made me laugh about this one.

M3wThr33 said:
I still like their post about PA Premium.
It's free.
Unlike a certain 3 Finger Salute that charges money for nothing.
Yeah, I liked that post a lot too. "We'll be giving readers this new PA Premium service but it'll be right here on the front page where everyone can read it." Made me feel all warm inside. :D

GhaleonEB

Luckett_X said:

Nice - I hadn't noticed the watch. It's my favorite long-running reference at PA; something like one to two references a year. PA is definately more interesting the longer you've been reading.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm vaguely familiar with the watch story... but someone explain it anyway?

GhaleonEB

GDJustin said:

The search function seems to be broken there again. I searched for 'watch' and only got the original (it's back to searching titles only). A few months ago there was another watch reference I was able to do that search and get a half dozen hits with references.

At any rate, this is the first comic about it, from 1999:

19991101h.jpg

Vlad

GDJustin said:

It started at the comic Ghaleon posted, but it's been brought up several times since then. It typically involves one of the characters attacking the other for one reason or another, then taking the watch from the victim's unconscious body. After a while, though, they left out the actual removal of the watch, and it just mysteriously changes owners after every attack.

Most importantly, there is only one watch comic per year. It's going to be a long wait for the next one.

Edit: Vlad, what song goes with those notes in your avatar?

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
GhaleonEB said:
The search function seems to be broken there again. I searched for 'watch' and only got the original (it's back to searching titles only). A few months ago there was another watch reference I was able to do that search and get a half dozen hits with references.

At any rate, this is the first comic about it, from 1999:

19991101h.jpg

For some reason, this art style is still my favorite of all of PA's.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
StrikerObi said:
Most importantly, there is only one watch comic per year. It's going to be a long wait for the next one.

That is so awesome that they only do it once a year.

Matlock

Banned
StrikerObi said:

Edit: Vlad, what song goes with those notes in your avatar?

They've actually had more than one per year, but it averages otu.

GhaleonEB

Matlock said:
They've actually had more than one per year, but it averages otu.
References, like this one, perhaps. But comics that make the watch a centerpiece are less common.
Matlock did it, those are the ones I remember. I love the Pikmin one. :lol

Matlock

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
References, like this one, perhaps. But comics that make the watch a centerpiece are less common.

Yeah, I now see the error of my ways.

20011019h.gif

hey, dante lives next door!

Spencerr

Banned
muphins said:
Are you missing one? Gabe has the watch in both of the last two.

:-\ I think it's a PA mistake. Unless they removed the watch from one of their violent comics between the dog and the newest, there was no watch comic between the two.

(Yes I did just look at all of them and check their wrists)

Vlad

Well, technically the watch didn't actually change hands in the last two, and it does in all the others (or it's strongly implied in the Pikmin one. Every watch-change happens because of a violent act, but not every violent act causes the watch to change hands, etc.

Top Bottom