• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who say CGI cinematics are “useless” haven’t played Diablo IV

While in-engine visuals nowadays are fantastic, I feel like there’s always a place for CGI cinematics. To me, really good ones elevate the entire experience.

In Diablo IV, not only was the opening CGI cinematic cutscene absolutely sublime, but the one right before the final battles was just…. oh my god.

Even the most graphically intense game with the best cinematography has absolutely nothing on the CGI cinematics in this game.

Every shot had an enormous amount of detail, excellent cinematography and music, memorable imagery… it was absolutely glorious.

Of course, it makes sense to use them more sparingly now; that, I won’t deny. But if used well, and especially if the game company has an in-house studio like Blizzard and Square Enix (*cough* Final Fantasy XVI *cough*), I absolutely feel like they still have, and always will have, a place in video games. Even if the game in question has visible armor/weapon changes and a CaC like in D4.

Thank you

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Who says that? What are you talking about?

The "problem" is the trend of revealing new games with CGI cinematics that tell you pretty much nothing about the actual game.

Literally no one watched that Diablo 4 cinematic and thought "well this is just shit, isn't it".

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Blizzard used to make amazing cinematics, not sure if they still do.
Season 4 What GIF by The Office

They are the best in the business ffs

Hudo

While in-engine visuals nowadays are fantastic, I feel like there’s always a place for CGI cinematics. To me, really good ones elevate the entire experience.

In Diablo IV, not only was the opening CGI cinematic cutscene absolutely sublime, but the one right before the final battles was just…. oh my god.

Even the most graphically intense game with the best cinematography has absolutely nothing on the CGI cinematics in this game.

Every shot had an enormous amount of detail, excellent cinematography and music, memorable imagery… it was absolutely glorious.

Of course, it makes sense to use them more sparingly now; that, I won’t deny. But if used well, and especially if the game company has an in-house studio like Blizzard and Square Enix (*cough* Final Fantasy XVI *cough*), I absolutely feel like they still have, and always will have, a place in video games. Even if the game in question has visible armor/weapon changes and a CaC like in D4.

Thank you

Yeah, the CGI cutscenes were far more fun than the actual game.

Who says that? What are you talking about?

The "problem" is the trend of revealing new games with CGI cinematics that tell you pretty much nothing about the actual game.

Literally no one watched that Diablo 4 cinematic and thought "well this is just shit, isn't it".
OP is a CGI evangelist. It's all he posts about. It takes all kinds to make an interesting message board.

saintjules

Not entirely useless, but until we can play games like CGI cutscenes, they don't mean much to me.

I hope we get there someday.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I would say that Diablo 4 is not the best example of ingame cutscenes. Sure, they're okay, but they could be a lot better. In contrast to ingame cutscenes, the cgi cutscenes are very noticeable d4. But other games have done it much better.

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 had very impressive Cgi back then . The same applies to D2 and D3.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn’t think Diablo IV’s cutscenes added up to much in the end. I was slightly disappointed in the whole plot of Diablo IV. Diablo II has some incredible CGI for its time. It’s no joke that Blizzard has some talented people working for them, but Diablo IV felt like Maleficent‘s entry into video games. Visually stunning, but her story is boring as hell.

Last edited:
I never liked this Diablo approach, it's very 90s when you had to compensate the technical limits of the time with your imagination and CG helped in hyping you. Right now I do feel the enormous distance between what I see in the cinematics, with their camera work, details, acting, and what I really experience during gameplay. It's like imagine the Battle of Helm's Deep in your head while you are playing tiny characters in a diorama.

Nydius

Blizzard has always had top tier CGI. Problem is, most of it is useless. What good were those fancy intro cinematics to WoW expansions when you'd get dropped into a game with 2006 graphics? The CGI in Diablo 4 had a very similar effect for me: They actively took me out of the game because we went from the actual gameplay to movie quality CGI that made me wish the entire game looked as good.

The cut scene of the battle between Inarius's followers and the demons of hell was fantastic... but all it did was make me wish it was a full length movie rather than a game.

Hugare

games like World of Warcraft having AAAA CGI cinematics compared to the shit 2007 in-game graphics will never not be amusing to me
So much true

You watch some epic looking CGI, and then when you get back to gameplay, it looks mediocre with stilted animations

Not to mention the far away camera

Confused What Is This GIF

Go_Ly_Dow

I've always been a fan of them, particularly in FF how they're implemented in big moments throughout the game. They're blended well with the gameplay, whilst these Diablo ones seem more disconnected to me.

The one's in FF7R were a bit lower quality than the ones in lets say FF13, but I still loved them. This one wouldn't have been possible to do in real-time on the PS4 whilst delivering the same impact.

Last edited:

Thank you

When the game sucks, who cares about the CGI.

I've always been a fan of them, particularly in FF how they're implemented in big moments throughout the game. They're blended well with the gameplay, whilst these Diablo ones seem more disconnected to me.

The one's in FF7R were a bit lower quality than the ones in lets say FF13, but I still loved them. This one wouldn't have been possible to do in real-time on the PS4 whilst delivering the same impact.

It wouldn’t be possible on the PS5 either tbh. There’s nothing in XVI that comes even close to being as visually stunning as this scene. Though I do agree with you that the CGI cutscenes in XIII are better

Kaleinc

Banned
Blizzard has always had top tier CGI. Problem is, most of it is useless. What good were those fancy intro cinematics to WoW expansions when you'd get dropped into a game with 2006 graphics? The CGI in Diablo 4 had a very similar effect for me: They actively took me out of the game because we went from the actual gameplay to movie quality CGI that made me wish the entire game looked as good.

The cut scene of the battle between Inarius's followers and the demons of hell was fantastic... but all it did was make me wish it was a full length movie rather than a game.
Their use is you watch and enjoy it never actually having to install piece of shit like WoW. New expansion means new cgi trailer

Mortisfacio

That's definitely upsetting. Was hilarious the Blizzcon transition from this, which is technically stunning

To the feature drop

Top Bottom