• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Royal purchase question

Has anyone who played Persona 5 thought it was okay at best or had a worse opinion about it and has bought Royal and if yes would you recommend it? I finished RE3R and seems like it's going to be a few boring months from now on with no big releases that have my interest, maybe Gears Tactics but that just one game in 4+ months, so I need to occupy my time with a bigger game and I was eyeing P5R but I thought P5 was overrated as hell and did nothing to impress me like at all, a 7'ish scored game and I'm worried just like the original, critics and fans are just mindlessly praising it again. I had a look at the changes and they do not seems that huge besides the final semester so I just don't see how that would warrant a full 60euro price. I know it sounds like I'm hating but Im genuinely interested in buying the game but I feel like I'll hate myself or I won't bother finishing it and I don't want to waste 60 euros.

Pls help I need to play something :c

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'm about 12 hours into it now. I only made it about 20 hours into the original then got busy with other stuff. If you didn't like the original much there's probably not much in the updates that will change that. They cleaned up a bunch of things, but it is still largely the same game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Here are the changes in Royal.

But as J JORMBO said, if you didn't like the original P5 then Royal not gonna change your mind.

Last edited:
if you didn't like the original P5 then Royal not gonna change your mind.

I enjoyed my time with it, I did not hate it. It's an okay game that's why I'm having second thoughts. If I did hate the game the answer would be easy but what if I found it okay? I liked the story, characters but grinding for personas and going through those boring dungeons ruined the experience for me.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The original is still a better game because the story wasn't butchered.

Danjin44

I enjoyed my time with it, I did not hate it. It's an okay game that's why I'm having second thoughts. If I did hate the game the answer would be easy but what if I found it okay? I liked the story, characters but grinding for personas and going through those boring dungeons ruined the experience for me.
Then I suggest you watch the video I posted above, if you like the changes they did with Royal then give it a try.

Shin

Banned
I've asked twice now, but maybe 3rd time's a charm.
What's the difference between Royal, the original and the other version?
To me they look like the same game but slightly updated, but to release 3 version of it at full price is odd.
Or am I assuming things?

Danjin44

To me they look like the same game but slightly updated, but to release 3 version of it at full price is odd.
Or am I assuming things?
Just watch the video I posted above, you yourself decide if it’s worth it for you.

rubhen925

About 70 hours in now, and covering it myself with a walkthrough. The differences are subtle in the beginning 10 hours, but then you start noticing the new things such as confidants, battle mechanics upgrades and easier ways to increase stats. Also the new story sequences are great as well. I have beaten persona 5, three times, and am still absolutely enjoying my royal playthrough as well. If you're bored for the summer, this is the perfect game imo.

Then I suggest you watch the video I posted above, if you like the changes they did with Royal then give it a try.

I did even before making the thread as Ive mentioned. Still undecided. Thats why I wanted to know if someone who had similar thoughts about p5 tried p5r. :(

Danjin44

I did even before making the thread as Ive mentioned. Still undecided. Thats why I wanted to know if someone who had similar thoughts about p5 tried p5r. :(
Then I don’t think my opinion is gonna help you, because I LOOOVED original Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal improved lots of things in already great game in my opinion.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Or am I assuming things?
P5R was made for fujos in mind.

Top Bottom