• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Strikers (P5 Scramble) coming to Switch/PS4/PC Feb 23, 2021

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
(Updated 12/08)

wtoNBwX.png

Persona 5 Strikers releases February 23, 2021 on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Steam.
Persona 5 Strikers, titled Persona 5 Scramble in Japan, is a mousou/Warriors style game developed by Koei Tecmo's Omega Force and Atlus' P-Studio, the developers behind the main Persona titles. After releasing in February of 2020 in Japan the game is finally getting a Western release 12 months later. Strikers is a direct sequel to Persona 5 picking up on the story of Joker and the Phantom Thieves after the events of the first game. The game features elements of both the Dynasty Warriors and Persona franchises combing the hack and slash gameplay of the former with the role-playing elements of the latter.

Official Site

You'll Never See it Coming...The Story So Far:
Looking for some rest and relaxation, the Phantom Thieves set out to begin their road trip, until a ruthless Kyoto detective enlists their help investigating a series of strange cases occurring across Japan... otherwise, he'll arrest Joker. As they dig deeper into the mystery, they discover another realm where innocent people are being jailed and forced to forfeit their hearts' desires by the whims of its ruler. In typical Phantom Thieves style, they're going to use everything they've got to liberate the imprisoned, return their hearts, and strike back against the corruption in their most explosive fight yet!

Pre-Orders Live Now
k1PeNRZ.jpg

rIidaMp.jpg

36KaXME.jpg

Digital Deluxe Edition

cyjyCm7.jpg

• 4 Day Early Access (2/19/2021)
• Bonus Content (includes soundtrack with over 40 songs, art book, and behind-the-scenes video)
• Persona Legacy BGM*
• All-Out Attack Pack**

*$9.99 Standalone purchase
**$4.99 Standalone purchase

Retailers:
Best Buy (Includes Steelbook): Switch PS4
GameStop (Includes Joker Pin): Switch PS4
Amazon: Switch PS4
Target: PS4
Walmart:
Nintendo eShop
PlayStation Store

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Also if you haven't played Persona 5 Royal yet...

C1t8OWp.gif

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Looks decent! where does it rank among the warriors game?
I'm not a particularly huge warriors fan so I am not the best person to ask. I've played one or two titles but have been picking up more of them with the Zelda, Fire Emblem, and now Persona crossovers they've had lately. My interest in those franchises is honestly the only reason I play them. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Musou? No thanks. Give me Persona 5 regular instead.
I hear you. P5 Royal would be a ton of fun on Switch.

lachesis

Ys IX and P5 Strikers - it will be a good beginning of the year for me. :D
I am debating weather to get it for Switch (language support) or PS4 ver - much better performance... hmmm.
I heard P5 Strikers is more of Persona game than Musou game - so I'm looking forward to it.

Currently I'm wrapping up Nier Automata on the gamepass - just one more ending left before I will go for the final E ending (and probably erase my data, sadly) - and my next one would probably be Dragon Quest XIS on Series X as well, which has been preloaded already. I did buy Persona 5 Royal for my PS5 over the black Friday sale (19.99!), but likely to start that after DQ XIS.

So many games to play, so little time. :D

drganon

I'm not a particularly huge warriors fan so I am not the best person to ask. I've played one or two titles but have been picking up more of them with the Zelda, Fire Emblem, and now Persona crossovers they've had lately. My interest in those franchises is honestly the only reason I play them. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I hear you. P5 Royal would be a ton of fun on Switch.
I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened yet considering the switch is doing gangbusters in Japan.

Tschumi

This game is so annoying, i go to second hand shops here looking for p5 royal, and they all have the same ペルソナ "persona" text, which pulls you in, but under that you just get this mess of katakana and it buggers up your hype. I don't believe persona games should be dance comp simulators or battle sims. Poo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Ys IX and P5 Strikers - it will be a good beginning of the year for me. :D
I am debating weather to get it for Switch (language support) or PS4 ver - much better performance... hmmm.
I heard P5 Strikers is more of Persona game than Musou game - so I'm looking forward to it.

Currently I'm wrapping up Nier Automata on the gamepass - just one more ending left before I will go for the final E ending (and probably erase my data, sadly) - and my next one would probably be Dragon Quest XIS on Series X as well, which has been preloaded already. I did buy Persona 5 Royal for my PS5 over the black Friday sale (19.99!), but likely to start that after DQ XIS.

So many games to play, so little time. :D

DQXIS is superb but Persona 5 is in a league of its own.

SMT V is cancelled.
Coming next year with a simultaneous world wide release.

Last edited:

lachesis

DQXIS is superb but Persona 5 is in a league of its own.

Well, I got platinum trophy for the original P5 a couple years back when I first got the game. (got into gaming pretty late last gen, due to personal circumstances)... Been waiting for the price to come down (19.99 was the target) for P5R for a while, because the memory was still too fresh, especially after going thru the anime series recently... and also full price felt a bit too expensive at the release - especially when its being released on the same platform as its predecessor unlike P4G. Most likely will go for the another platinum for this one when I do play the game.

DQXIS - I did buy regular DQXI for my PS4 Pro, but haven't started it yet. I heard regular PS4 has sharper/better gfx, but since I'm starting a new game, as I happen to be a GamePass member for next 3 years - I think I will just start with DQXIS... 60fps, I hope & orchestra music, rather than the synth music on PS4... with my native language support to boot! (not on my US. DQXI on PS4 Pro..) It will be my first DQ game to play in my native language, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Last edited:

MAtgS

Also if you haven't played Persona 5 Royal yet...

C1t8OWp.gif

Well maybe if they were to put that Switch too I would.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Well, I got platinum trophy for the original P5 a couple years back when I first got the game. (got into gaming pretty late last gen, due to personal circumstances)... Been waiting for the price to come down (19.99 was the target) for P5R for a while, because the memory was still too fresh, especially after going thru the anime series recently... and also full price felt a bit too expensive at the release - especially when its being released on the same platform as its predecessor unlike P4G. Most likely will go for the another platinum for this one when I do play the game.

DQXIS - I did buy regular DQXI for my PS4 Pro, but haven't started it yet. I heard regular PS4 has sharper/better gfx, but since I'm starting a new game, as I happen to be a GamePass member for next 3 years - I think I will just start with DQXIS... 60fps, I hope & orchestra music, rather than the synth music on PS4... with my native language support to boot! (not on my US. DQXI on PS4 Pro..) It will be my first DQ game to play in my native language, I'm very much looking forward to it.
You'll enjoy DQ then. XIS is a massive improvement over the original, I watched a few let's plays of the original release and the orchestral soundtrack alone made a world of difference. A lot of nice QOL upgrades as well. XIS was my first DQ title. It's fantastic.
Well maybe if they were to put that Switch too I would.
Waiting for that announcement any day now...

h8vfWfz.jpg

Would be fantastic if Atlus surprised us with P5R and P4G on Switch. With Catherine Full Body getting a Switch release and Strikers and P4G coming to Steam I don't discount the possibility.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
And PC.

Yep. I asked the mods to update the title. Trailer got taken down as I was making the thread so I missed the PC news initially and didn't realize until I was able to watch the mirror.

Edit: And they already fixed it, thank you mods!

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I played the demo (up on Asian PSN if you have a regional account) and as someone who isn't generally interested in musou games found it entertaining enough.

There's more to it than just running into big hordes of enemies and hitting people - it has magic skills, strengths/weaknesses, capturing persona etc.

Last edited:

Hudo

Can Atlus stop fucking around now and put their games on multiple platforms? Persona for PC and Switch and SMT for PS as well. Atlus, you're a third-party dev, for god's sake. You've got Sega behind you. Let the platform holders make their own RPGs. (Sucks for Sony but hey)

Kazza

Here's a re-upload:

Nice that this is coming to PC day one!

aVN61GQ.png

Poor Xbox. It's pretty much the same exact hardware as the PS4 anyway, so why not just release it as well?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Can Atlus stop fucking around now and put their games on multiple platforms? Persona for PC and Switch and SMT for PS as well. Atlus, you're a third-party dev, for god's sake. You've got Sega behind you. Let the platform holders make their own RPGs. (Sucks for Sony but hey)
All I want are the PS2 SMTs on PC man. Here's hoping they end up releasing that sweet SMT Remake on PC too

Last edited:

silentstorm

Here's a re-upload:

Nice that this is coming to PC day one!

aVN61GQ.png

Poor Xbox. It's pretty much the same exact hardware as the PS4 anyway, so why not just release it as well?

Japan doesn't care for Xbox and it sold the worst last gen so a lot of developers, japanese ones in particular, just ignore the Xbox, heck, last gen, the Xbox getting Kingdom Hearts was seen as a huge deal.

It also seems like Xbox users generally buy less singleplayer games, japanese and indie games too, Okami HD for one example sold poorly on Xbox, heck, reading some comments, Game Pass was what finally allowed Xbox gamers to discover games like Celeste, you know, critically acclaimed and popular indie games that have been around for years?

It's not all of it's users, but i guess the idea of dude bros who play FPS and big games mostly multiplayer being Xbox users had some basis in reality, but i guess MS is trying to appeal to more gamers nowadays and their studios have been releasing games that have absolutely no multiplayer to them, heck, Microsoft published the Ori series.

And Game Pass seems to be a way to make Xbox users experiment with other genres and games, after all, after paying for Game Pass, there's no harm in trying what it offers, right?

We will see if it changes anything, but so far, a lot of japanese devs won't even glance at Xbox, Nippon Ichi, for one example, hasn't released a single game for Xbox ever, they announced one RPG Maker for it but cancelled that port, there is a reason why Disgaea 6 is coming to PS and Switch only.

I'm sure it's happening. Strikers coming to both is a good sign and I believe the sales for P4 golden were ridiculous.

Kazza

Japan doesn't care for Xbox and it sold the worst last gen so a lot of developers, japanese ones in particular, just ignore the Xbox, heck, last gen, the Xbox getting Kingdom Hearts was seen as a huge deal.

It also seems like Xbox users generally buy less singleplayer games, japanese and indie games too, Okami HD for one example sold poorly on Xbox, heck, reading some comments, Game Pass was what finally allowed Xbox gamers to discover games like Celeste, you know, critically acclaimed and popular indie games that have been around for years?

It's not all of it's users, but i guess the idea of dude bros who play FPS and big games mostly multiplayer being Xbox users had some basis in reality, but i guess MS is trying to appeal to more gamers nowadays and their studios have been releasing games that have absolutely no multiplayer to them, heck, Microsoft published the Ori series.

And Game Pass seems to be a way to make Xbox users experiment with other genres and games, after all, after paying for Game Pass, there's no harm in trying what it offers, right?

We will see if it changes anything, but so far, a lot of japanese devs won't even glance at Xbox, Nippon Ichi, for one example, hasn't released a single game for Xbox ever, they announced one RPG Maker for it but cancelled that port, there is a reason why Disgaea 6 is coming to PS and Switch only.

Well, Sega should have accurate sales figures by now for how Japanese games sell on the Xbox, having already released many Yakuza games, plus Valkyria Chronicles 4 etc. With the PS5 and Series X being pretty much identical hardware, not to mention the fact that Sega/Atlus are already doing PC ports covering a multitude of different hardware these days, the effort required to port to Xbox seems so small that instead of asking "why", it's more like "why not?"

cireza

I love how this post tries to make Xbox players politely look like dude bros that don't care about anything else than FPS/TPS and Forza.

Well, Sega should have accurate sales figures by now for how Japanese games sell on the Xbox, having already released many Yakuza games, plus Valkyria Chronicles 4 etc. With the PS5 and Series X being pretty much identical hardware, not to mention the fact that Sega/Atlus are already doing PC ports covering a multitude of different hardware these days, the effort required to port to Xbox seems so small that instead of asking "why", it's more like "why not?"
What? Their architectural design is far more divergent than the XO and PS4 were.

There's a reason we're seeing performance parity with a slight advantage to the PS5 despite the massive tflop difference and on paper power between the two, favouring XSX.

If they're making games specifically for the PS5 first, then porting to XSX is likely going to be a real sod to do.

But yeah, if they're making a PC version, then it would be a piece of cake to make an XSX version.

Whether that cake is light enough to make the potential sales worthwhile is another matter though.

Hudo

I'm sure it's happening. Strikers coming to both is a good sign and I believe the sales for P4 golden were ridiculous.
Yeah, if I remember correctly, Sega did the port themselves, not Atlus. And one of the guys responsible was like "it vastly exceeded our expectations.", hinting that they'll port other stuff over as well.

Kazza

What? Their architectural design is far more divergent than the XO and PS4 were.

There's a reason we're seeing performance parity with a slight advantage to the PS5 despite the massive tflop difference and on paper power between the two, favouring XSX.

If they're making games specifically for the PS5 first, then porting to XSX is likely going to be a real sod to do.

But yeah, if they're making a PC version, then it would be a piece of cake to make an XSX version.

Whether that cake is light enough to make the potential sales worthwhile is another matter though.

Same CPU, same GPU, games made using the same engine etc. The similarity of the consoles makes the whole fanboy wars even more pathetic, as people argue for pages and pages over a Digital Foundry video that shows a mere difference of 3fp in some sections. The narcissism of small differences...

Hudo

Sorry for double-posting but how much of a Musou vs. how much of an action-RPG is this game?

You still need to go through all certification and quality assurance for xbox version of the game. Plus Sega usually releases their games physically and there's minimum print quantity that they have to hit.

Also as you said Sega knows how well their games sold or not sold on xbox as a platform.

Same CPU, same GPU, games made using the same engine etc. The similarity of the consoles makes the whole fanboy wars even more pathetic, as people argue for pages and pages over a Digital Foundry video that shows a mere difference of 3fp in some sections. The narcissism of small differences...
The games using the same engines I'll grant you, but everything else is either different or highly customised in different ways on both systems, more so in deviation from conventional 'off the shelf' parts with the PS5.

Sure, they're both mostly the same generations of AMD tech, with the same performance envelope, but they are not just the same components in different shells.

It's precisely those big hardware differences, that on paper should, by standard hardware terms, mean a 20% better performance from the XSX, that are causing the pages and pages of arguments from there only being a 3fps difference, particularly as that 3ps is in favour of the machine everyone expected to perform worse. Because of their hardware differences.

I mean it's not like there aren't a huge number of very detailed deep dives into the custom hardware details of these systems. Most recently the MS Engineers Hotchips thread, for instance. There's no reason you should be this misinformed.

Last edited:

silentstorm

I love how this post tries to make Xbox players politely look like dude bros that don't care about anything else than FPS/TPS and Forza.
To be fair, i know it's not all Xbox gamers, japanese and more niche games still sell, but they always seem to sell less than they do in PS4 and Switch, Switch gamers in particular just devour indie games.

I wonder if it had something to do with marketing, the OG Xbox came right in making a big deal of having online multiplayer, the Xbox Live was a big feature, and Halo and multiplayer was a big hit, and even if there was something like Ninja Gaiden, a lot of big games on Xbox had multiplayer or were AAA in nature, and just due to PS1 establishing a market for Sony already, a lot of single player games and JRPG's in general just went to the PS2 without even giving Xbox a chance, i think it took a while for the Xbox consoles to get a single Final Fantasy game, and it took until last gen for Kingdom Hearts to appear on Xbox, heck, i think Microsoft had to PAY Namco Bandai just so that Tales Of Vesperia would be on Xbox.

The marketing and a certain lack of games ended up dictating the tastes of the userbase for better or worse, thankfully, it seems Microsoft is trying to make this better and japanese developers are more willing to give a chance, games like Elden Ring and Balan Wonderworld are coming to Xbox, the Panzer Dragoon remake is finally coming to Xbox after having been everywhere else, even something like Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is on Xbox.

It's just, it gets less japanese/niche/indie games compared to other platforms, just looking around, for example, Yacht Club games aren't making Shovel Knight Dig to Xbox even though it will be everywhere else, Saga Frontier Remastered won't be on Xbox, something like Bushiden, an upcoming indie game inspired by Shinobi, will be on everything but Xbox too, worse is that it seems like they had a Xbox One port planned but they cancelled it, it feels like there must be a reason why Xbox gets so disregarded.

Larxia

As someone who doesn't like turn based, I've always been much more interested in this episode than the main one, but... it's a sequel so I would probably not understand anything.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Sega did the port themselves, not Atlus. And one of the guys responsible was like "it vastly exceeded our expectations.", hinting that they'll port other stuff over as well.

Yeah I could definitely see P5R coming to PC and P5R + P4G coming to Switch. Both would see some phenomenal sales; they’d be crazy not to.

Then again, with this, SMT III HD, and SMT V all coming out in the same year I’m not sure when they’d release...

Last edited:

Well I think that someone who likes Japanese games is less likely to buy an Xbox. Seems like common sense to me.

Kazza

You still need to go through all certification and quality assurance for xbox version of the game. Plus Sega usually releases their games physically and there's minimum print quantity that they have to hit.

Also as you said Sega knows how well their games sold or not sold on xbox as a platform.

I would have thought that minimum print run wouldn't be such a big problem now that digital sales are such a big thing. I know that it was a big issue back in the cartridge era, but it shouldn't be now, what with optical media and digital. Microsoft especially need all the third party help they can get given their lack of first party output (at least until all their acquisitions finally start paying off), so they should be really relaxed about that sort of thing.

The games using the same engines I'll grant you, but everything else is either different or highly customised in different ways on both systems, more so in deviation from conventional 'off the shelf' parts with the PS5.

Sure, they're both mostly the same generations of AMD tech, with the same performance envelope, but they are not just the same components in different shells.

It's precisely those big hardware differences, that on paper should, by standard hardware terms, mean a 20% better performance from the XSX, that are causing the pages and pages of arguments from there only being a 3fps difference, particularly as that 3ps is in favour of the machine everyone expected to perform worse. Because of their hardware differences.

I mean it's not like there aren't a huge number of very detailed deep dives into the custom hardware details of these systems. Most recently the MS Engineers Hotchips thread, for instance. There's no reason you should be this misinformed.

I find it sad when the DF console wars comparison thread often has twice as many replies as the OT for the game itself. I really like the DF Retro and Console Wars youtube series because they compare systems, engines and development teams which were, more often than not, radically different (even when the name on the actual game box was the same). The consoles have never been closer to each other in terms of both hardware and software as they are now, or to PC in fact (not many PCs were rocking Jag CPUs back when the PS4/Xbone were released). For me, the (historically speaking) tiny differences between the platforms just aren't worth the time. I'd rather read about retro systems (I did some assembly programming on 6502, M68k and Z80 CPUs last week), or read up on the latest tech (DLSS, raytracing etc).

The upside to everything being so similar and standardised is the ease of porting, which makes Xbox being left out all the more surprising. I primarily game on PC, so I'm fine now that so many (Nintendo excepted) are now porting games to that platform. Maybe MS will try and get a port later on to feed into their gamepass system.

Kazza

Well I think that someone who likes Japanese games is less likely to buy an Xbox. Seems like common sense to me.

While I thinks that's probably true, the effort and cost of porting between near identical systems seems so trivial that they might as well just go for an Xbox version, even if it does sell less than its Switch/PC/PS counterparts. How much does a port need to sell nowadays to cover the cost of porting? 10k copies?

Kazza

Ps5 Royale is still going to come to Switch and PC though, right :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Imagine if this game sells over a million on Switch and PC and Atlus is still like, "nah".

TintoConCasera

Digital Devil Saga Remaster when?

Ps5 Royale is still going to come to Switch and PC though, right :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Imagine if this game sells over a million on Switch and PC and Atlus is still like, "nah".
Is it an Atlus thing? Maybe Sony holds the exclusivity for it.

Top Bottom