• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 years ago Phil Spencer denied reports that Microsoft wanted to acquire Japanese publishers

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
FnhT3uzWQAARerd.jpg

I want one of these companies to buy Konami, so we can get Silent Hill, Metal Gear, and Castlevania back as AAA games. I am surprised that Sony hasn’t tried to get Metal Gear back into Kojima’s hands (yet)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Saying I want to acquire studios and actually approaching studios are two very different things.

So if he never approached any Japanese studios to acquire them, then he is absolutely telling the truth.

Capcom would be a perfect fit, since they are complaining about games being too cheap. Xbox can save them by making them first party and release their games on games pass.
The thing is that Capcom is not only quite succesful but it has zero mobile presense. I think either Square Enix or Sega are options. Though, anecdotally, I wonder if Bamco is doing better at mobile.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
He's also telling the truth if it wasn't him directly talking to them, but his translator.
Then he would have approached them.
Cuz even if you do it in an email translated by AI that counts as having approached them.
If he literally never actually set in motion the actions needed to acquire said studios then and only then is he not lying......but who cares, Phil breaths, GAF up in arms.

Unknown?

Then he would have approached them.
Cuz even if you do it in an email translated by AI that counts as having approached them.
If he literally never actually set in motion the actions needed to acquire said studios then and only then is he not lying......but who cares, Phil breaths, GAF up in arms.
Yes, but he can claim not to have and not be technically lying.

This is just Phil trying to get ahead of every major Japanese publisher laughing in MS collective face when they offer to buy them out because it is pretty much suicide to board the slowly sinking ship that is the Xbox platform.

Last edited:

RickMasters

I mean, maybe Squeenix would actually improve somehow
No. Buy sega. Brand the Japanese version of the Xbox as a sega console. Make special edition sega themed consoles for the west. Inspired by actual sega consoles designs and of course sega games.

Make a new out run.

Put all model 1, 2 and 3 arcade games on gamepass. With added online multiplayer. And create some kind of virtual arcade you can walk around with your avatars in and challenge other players. 8 player Daytona USA 2 or sega rally online etc.

Make a new virtua fighter

Make a single player phantasy star.

Aquire treasure and game arts …. And leave them the fuck alone to make awesome 2D games for Xbox, without fear of commercial failure.

Remaster skied of Arcadia and make a sequel…. Call it a franchise reboot and position it as part of a squad of Xbox-sega exclusive RPG, made up of phantasy star (single player) skies of Arcadia, grandia and the shining series.

Panzer dragon saga- remaster and sequel. And It would have both real time free flight exploration, deep weapon crafting and dragon augmentation and customization gameplay and combat as well as turn based for certain sections. It would be a hybrid of both real time action and turn based, blending both into one game. And on foot sections for exploring the ruins in a way that you can’t from the back of a dragon. It would be epic!

Pixel remaster of classic master system and mega drive games, as passion projects…similar to streets of rage 4. If add a golden axe and alien storm reboot in the same style. Throw in some classic mega drive shmups like wing zero with fully featured pixel remasters.

Alex Kidd and Shinobi…. Mascots that serve new games. 3D platforming for Alex and I’d aim it at kids.

2D Shinobi game that plays like old school…. A 3D action Shinobi game that takes cues from thenchu and sekiro with a dash of ghost. Action with a bit of stealth to break up the action and change the pace ( great time for dialogue, and story development while out of combat yet still engaged in the mission) with some big skill based boss fight that play like a souls- like.

A new sonic all stars racing game that would now feature characters from all the IP MS owns aswell as sega IP. Master chief, a sea of theives cast member, banjo, doom guy etc. alongside leash bandicoot and sonic and that monkey from monkey ball.

A new virtual-On. Full on sequel. All new mech versus mech type stuff. I’d make the gameplay take place on more open battle field instead of the old arenas and I make it 4 player free for all. Last mech standing. Destructable scenery. Because when I throw a mech at building it better crumble on top of them.

Sega Saturn fight pad…… and mega drive six button pads but mode used for use on Xbox… and PC of course! For those is us that would love these retro remasters and lovers of 2D games in general…. nuff said

Virtua cop and house of the dead reboots. In VR. With some kind of light gun. And yes give Xbox some kind of VR support….

Buying sega would be so much more fun than buying square……

I’ll take all of that above over final fanstasy exclusivity that nobody wants on Xbox, anyway.

RickMasters

Email didn’t exactly specify acquiring. It could have meant partnership too which is more than likely.
I think partnerships are highly likely but….. If they ever do find themselves awaiting a Japanese dev. I hope it’s sega. And I hope they really honour segas back catalogue and give it the love it deserves. That’s if the opportunity ever arose that is. Otherwise I’d be happy to see them double down on their partnership with sega. Fund some exclusives with smaller devs like treasure and mist walker aswell.

Top Bottom