• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical Copies of Paper Mario: The Origami King Have Been Discontinued

Draugoth

Gold Member
Switch_PaperMarioTheOrigamiKing_artwork_03-1440x564_c.png

Physical copies of Paper Mario: The Origami King have been discontinued. The 2020 RPG by Nintendo released to a fair critical and commercial reception. Unfortunately, it appears players will only be able to purchase digital copies of the RPG moving forward. Paper Mario: The Origami King is listed as out of stock across the majority of retailers with a limited amount of physical copies still available to purchase at select online stores, which seems to be leftover stock. It does appear Nintendo has made the decision to no longer print new physical copies.

Source

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I never got around to this, but would enjoy it if I had the time.

Controversial but I don't care: Sticker Star was a great game.

Yeah, it wasn't the same genre or kind of game as previous Paper Mario entries, so I understand the disappointment on that level. But as a game in general? It was fantastic fun. I actually found it refreshing that it wasn't a normal RPG.

The only terrible Paper Mario is the Wii game.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Everything post Super Paper Mario has been very disappointing.. I really hope TTYD results in them going back to what made the series great in the next one.

Curious to see if this’ll get the Nintendo Selects treatment though.

drganon

I got a physical copy, but don't think I'll ever bother to play it again. I made it to the first boss but gave up since i hated the combat.

zokie

i love this game , sticker star and color splash but the hate for this game 4 years ago on twitter is tremendous

as game dev costs is gets higher and higher , i speculate there won't be a new paper mario game for the next nintendo console

it will all be remakes ~

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
and? i assume most people that wanted a retail copy of that game already bought it
In this case, this is the right take. It’s not like the game had legs.

Every Paper Mario is a good game. The hate against the games after TTYD has always been puzzling, and it’s good proof you can’t trust rabid fans of something to be fair judges.

xrnzaaas

and? i assume most people that wanted a retail copy of that game already bought it
I'm not a Nintendo expert, but it seems to me they tend to manufacture less physical copies for some games than the actual demand. I don't get this exclusivity or whatever, you should be able to easily buy all first party titles at least during the entire lifetime of the console they're intended for (minus the delisted ones for licensing reasons).

Plus new people still keep buying the Switch. They may want to check out of the game and they'll be in for a surprise when they see prices set by scalpers.

ahtlas7

Got physical on release and played til I was done. It was fun enough but haven’t finished yet. Maybe one day I will.

consoul

OK? I don't get how this is newsworthy.

The game sold over 3 million copies over four years and now they've stopped production. It's still available digitally and physical copies will never be rare.

Color Splash sold fuck all. When they ceased production of that game, nobody gave a damn and it's not even available digitally.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo plays within the business to consumer guardrails

Animated GIF

Paper Mario fans just got a lot richer today

Astral Dog

I'm not a Nintendo expert, but it seems to me they tend to manufacture less physical copies for some games than the actual demand. I don't get this exclusivity or whatever, you should be able to easily buy all first party titles at least during the entire lifetime of the console they're intended for (minus the delisted ones for licensing reasons).

Plus new people still keep buying the Switch. They may want to check out of the game and they'll be in for a surprise when they see prices set by scalpers.
I get it but its not shocking a game that was released 4 years ago its not in stock, if this was Mario Wonder it would be surprising, their biggest sellers also get more years

Nintendo estimates demand, and makes these decisions based on their data, maybe
They underestimated for this specific game, i can see why some fans would be frustrated if they were looking for a new copy of the Origami King, but in general seems in line with their projections

I noticed you can't find new copies of Astral Chain or Bayonetta 3 anymore, but Metroid Dread is still available in most stores, its just what it is

Top Bottom