• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Picross |OT| Nonograms and Numbers and Nonsense

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Welcome to the NeoGAF Picross community. Here we can discuss our favorite Picross games, suggest games for others, ask for puzzle help, etc.

What is Picross?

Picross (or Nonograms) are number puzzles that, once solved, display artwork or sprite work. They're popular in video games because they're typically used to reveal sprites from other games. Examples of this include Mario's Picross for the Game Boy, or Twilight Princess Picross for the 3DS.

Where to start?

Picross S (and subsequent releases such as S2-S6) are a good jumping off point for most players. The game has decent tutorials that will get you up to speed. These games are cheap ($8) and have a massive amount of puzzles included.

Any other recommendations?

Murder by Numbers is a cross between Picross and a visual novel, set in Hollywood in the mid 90s. You solve Picross puzzles to find clues that all lead up to solving murder mysteries. Very stylish and a good balance between puzzles and not-puzzles.

Paint it Back is a fun premise for Picross - all the paintings in a museum have been stolen, and you have to repaint them (using picross) to put them back on display. Steam Workshop support adds a TON of user-generated content to this game.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Picross 3D Round 2 for Nintendo 3DS is easily the best Picross game I've played ever.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'd say the best Picross game I ever played:

I had this on my Japanese 3DS (it was free to play, but pretty generous). As a huge fan of Final Fantasy, I absolutely loved it and it had some really interesting game mechanics like unlocking new characters, leveling them up, and a battle mode where you had a 5x5 grid and had to complete it as quickly as possible to attack the monsters. Game had incredible music from the game series and just oozed nostalgia.

Shame they shut the online service down, but I guess there are probably 3DS dumps out there that exist. The game had cooldown timers, but it didn't bother me much because I usually do Picross to chill and only a few puzzles a day at most. Another downside is that without knowing some basic Japanese, the game is pretty unplayable.

Last edited:

jshackles

Today I finished Picross S3 on the Switch

It's been a while since I've played through a Picross game on the Switch and decided I'd keep marching in order through Jupiter's S series which has always been really great. This game was no exception - great and challenging puzzles that are completed to make completely random objects and items. The clip picross this time was themed around Alice in Wonderland which was pretty cool I suppose. The game was very "by the numbers" (if you'll pardon the pun!) but completely solid throughout. I've picked up S4 which I'll probably start plodding through soon.

jshackles

Steam summer sale is here, lots of Picross games on sale.

Special shoutout for this bundle:

Been really enjoying Murder by Numbers and was looking for other games like it. This includes that game as well as two others: a dating sim / picross hybrid and a RPG / picross hybrid.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just wrapped 100% achievement on Paint It Back in 43 Steam hours. That includes probably a couple hours of being AFK.

Over all, great Picross game. I like the Workshop integration for custom puzzles.

Easily worth full price.

jshackles

I'm over 50% done with Piczle Cross Adventure, I ended up getting it on the Switch.

So far, I've really enjoyed it. The story is pretty so-so, but the puzzles have been great. I like that each area has it's own theme, which makes the puzzles far less random than something like Picross S4 (which I've also been dabbling in). The Pokemon aesthetic is nice, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

"Sorry I made you wait! "Picross S MEGA DRIVE & MARK Ⅲ edition " It will be delivered at the Nintendo eShop from midnight on August 5th. ※ The trial version is available from today."

jshackles

"Sorry I made you wait! "Picross S MEGA DRIVE & MARK Ⅲ edition " It will be delivered at the Nintendo eShop from midnight on August 5th. ※ The trial version is available from today."
The Kid Mero Wow GIF by Desus & Mero

So yeah, picross megadrive and master system...
Enjoying a lot, only one big issue: music driving me nuts. It gets so repetitive. And it took me four days to realize I could at least put the Alex Kidd tune. Slight improvement, but God...

Cutty Flam

Banned
Mario Picross ftw

Recently learned how to play, these puzzles are great. Very fun to play with others too, the other day three of us tried to tackle several of the pictures and many of them are very challenging

jshackles

All of the Picross S games are 20% off right now the Switch (Except the newest Genesis one, sadly).

These almost never go on sale, so it's a good time to stock up!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I’ve been playing the Konami Picross iOS app while on vacation. It’s quite good so far and do I recommend.

Last edited:

jshackles

jshackles

I'm still playing through Picross S5 and the Mega Drive one. Also on the last "case file" for Murder by Numbers.

I'm so far behind lol

jshackles

Anyone play Voxelgram? It’s on sale for $5.
I haven't heard of that, but it looks interesting! And it's Steam Deck Verified, nice.

Game also has a demo, might be worth checking out yourself to see if it's worth your $5.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I haven't heard of that, but it looks interesting! And it's Steam Deck Verified, nice.

Game also has a demo, might be worth checking out yourself to see if it's worth your $5.
Yeah I have the demo d/l’d on my Deck. About to fire it up.

Edit: It is good enough for me to take the plunge.

Last edited:

jshackles

Yeah I have the demo d/l’d on my Deck. About to fire it up.

Edit: It is good enough for me to take the plunge.
I played the demo for 45 minutes.

The Good:
The demo is long enough for you to get an idea of what the game is trying to do
The puzzles are incredibly challenging, this is a good take on the nonogram genre in a 3D space
The controls are pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it (at least with a mouse)
Ultrawide support without fiddling around
Steam workshop support looks really interesting!

The Bad:
For me, the puzzles are too challenging
Not every row / column is labeled. This felt extremely unnatural to me that there are answers which are essentially "?"
I didn't enjoy the "4 total pixels, with 2 spaces between them" answer format, I much prefer the standard picross 1 / 1 / 2 answer format which reveals how many of those pixels are grouped together.
Touch screen controls were not intuitive, this was obviously designed for a mouse with a scroll wheel

Overall not bad, and there's a lot of puzzles and value here for $5 if you can get around the controls and the goofy-ass answer format.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Murder by Numbers is a cross between Picross and a visual novel, set in Hollywood in the mid 90s. You solve Picross puzzles to find clues that all lead up to solving murder mysteries. Very stylish and a good balance between puzzles and not-puzzles.
Just started this one. Got through case #1. Quite enjoyable and plays great on the Steam Deck.

MAtgS

Just started this one. Got through case #1. Quite enjoyable and plays great on the Steam Deck.
TBH, I felt kinda disappointed in this one. I think it's because I approach Picross & VNs with different pacing: Picross I'll do a couple of puzzles at a time, while VNs I'm playing for long sessions. Thus MbN had me burnt out on the puzzles. Maybe it would've been better if there were other types of puzzles besides just nonogram ones.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
TBH, I felt kinda disappointed in this one. I think it's because I approach Picross & VNs with different pacing: Picross I'll do a couple of puzzles at a time, while VNs I'm playing for long sessions. Thus MbN had me burnt out on the puzzles. Maybe it would've been better if there were other types of puzzles besides just nonogram ones.
I’m the inverse I can spend hours doing puzzles but only maybe an hour a session on a text heavy game. Which is a bit weird as I can get lost in a good book easily.

Top Bottom