• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Monsters 2 demo up on PSN Store

DryvBy

Db0ZgE4WsAIKzyV.jpg

Demo is up on PSN US here
Steam is here but no idea if the demo is early

It's launching May 25th. If you're unfamiliar with the game, it's a tower defense game that's really well done. It's easily my favorite TD game to day.

Trailer:

Dubloon7

Banned
i remember purchasing the pixle bundle for my PS3 for like $3, played this game for maybe 10 minutes and deleted it. Not my type of game. shame, looks fun but no interest in tower defenses. Aegis Defenders peeks my interest but will not buy that one until it's less than $5

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I love the art style. Very clean and not distracting (which was my concern after watching trailers). It's almost too faithful to the old gameplay. Personally, I am fine with this since I loved the original, but if you didn't like PJ Monsters this one will not change your mind.

Haven't gotten a chance to try multiplayer. Does anyone know if the demo offers it? Pretty sure there was local co-op on the PSP version.

The arts pretty.

Question why do you need to run around a tower defense? To build I guess but what's exploring the world all about? If you can't build enough towers to kill a line going across entire world you've got a problem

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I'm hoping they make some UI improvements to the full version. The camera is too close in coop mode and the lack of split screen means everyone is subjected to player ones whims. The HUD elements take up too much real estate. The towers are harder to tell the level of than the color flag system update to be.

Will still check it out, hopefully they improve because I loved the original.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm hoping they make some UI improvements to the full version. The camera is too close in coop mode and the lack of split screen means everyone is subjected to player ones whims. The HUD elements take up too much real estate. The towers are harder to tell the level of than the color flag system update to be.

Will still check it out, hopefully they improve because I loved the original.
I keep seeing people mention that the camera is too close. And the tower levels are hard to distinguish?

I'm kinda shocked that they wouldn't put playability first in a game like this.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I keep seeing people mention that the camera is too close. And the tower levels are hard to distinguish?

I got the impression that it would be very different for the single player experience, but it seems to me the greatest strength is the local coop.

Seventy5

I’ve played nearly every version of PJM and I don’t get this complaint. Compared to Kingdom Rush, sure, the camera is too close. Compared to PJM, I don’t see much difference.

Grinchy

Banned
I just tried it out in 2-player. I agree with the complaints about the camera. It plays pretty poorly because of it. I feel like the improved visuals compromised the gameplay a lot. The framerate seemed choppy despite the game forcing such a narrow view of the field as well.

I might try it by myself later and see how it plays there.

Last edited:

v0mitg0d

I've been playing this game over the last few days and its just as lovely and zen and fantastic (and HARD!) as the original, and that's coming from someone who adores the first one. My only gripe is the overhead camera is closer in PJM2 than in PJM1, but you can use the right-stick to scroll around which helps. I love the verticality added to the game. The maps have real cliffs (some are HUGE) that you have to run around or jump to (or avoid) and building towers atop elevated areas increases your tower's range--it's pretty cool!

Anyway, I made a video of the very first level, on the easiest difficultly (it forces you to do this) and talked about my impressions of the game.

Uploading my Rainbows here if anyone needs help:

Top Bottom