• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planning a trip to Seoul next year, any tips?

Azzurri

So I have decided sometime next year(spring or Summer) I want to travel to S. Korea. I've never traveled East before just mostly Europe. I've been watching A LOT of YT videos aout Seoul and the culture there. From what I gather S.Korea is way more 'Western' than Japan and like a lot of stuff us Americans do like Party and Drink A LOT. Seoul basically reminds me of Las Vegas, because they party all night into the early morning and open container laws they have in Korea, that Vegas and Bourbon St in New Orleans have.

Anyways, are there anything must does besides party at night and drink :D. Learning basic Korean words and phrases would be smart, but anything else that helps?

Thanks!

lil puff

You'll have fun. My parents travel a lot, I guess when I get older I will.

Just be a good tourist. Because bad tourists suck. Don't get too drunk!

Bet the food will be very good in Korea, they have the best.

Azzurri

You'll have fun. My parents travel a lot, I guess when I get older I will.

Just be a good tourist. Because bad tourists suck. Don't get too drunk!

Bet the food will be very good in Korea, they have the best.

Yea, I'm not that type of 'American Tourists' so I should be go there.

lil puff

Yea, I'm not that type of 'American Tourists' so I should be go there.
ALL tourists are bad, trust me.

I'm curious about the transit over there. I hope you report back after you get back. I'm sure you will have a great experience to share!

Azzurri

ALL tourists are bad, trust me.

I'm curious about the transit over there. I hope you report back after you get back. I'm sure you will have a great experience to share!

I've heard that their subway system is SUPER easy to use because it's all owned by one company or the government.

Fbh

I went there last year and had a lot of fun but my trip was half business/half leisure, less than a week and I'm not really a party guy so I probably can't give you a lot of advice.

I mostly moved around in subway which was cheap and very easy to use. You can download an app where you enter your starting point and destination and it will tell you exactly which line you should take and where you need to change (in case you need to).

As in most places, knowing some of the local language is always welcome. Most people were really happy with us just saying stuff like hi and thank you in Korean. With that said, all touristic attractions (that I went to) have information in english and most places we went to eat (even smaller/cheap ones) had english menus.

As for food. Honestly, everything I tried was good. From the korean BBQ to the filled chicken to the dumplings to the ramen equivalent. As everywhere there's different prices depending on how fancy you want to eat, though from my experience in the more expensive places you are mostly just paying for the place to look nicer but the food isn't necessarily better. The one thing that was a bit of a letdown was the ice cream, had heard a lot about korean icea cream but it's pretty meh, sometimes they'll present it in an original way but the actual ice cream itself is nothing special.
When it comes to drinking, alcohol was pretty expensive so we mostly drank a lot of soju which is the local distilled beverage. Reminded me of Sake but I liked the softer flavor of this one better (they also mix it with beer which is pretty good)

As for places I went to a lot of museums. Most of them are really interesting and well made and I was surprised by the fact most of them are either really cheap or free. Having been a bunch of times in Europe where they charge you $10 for every tiny thing I was pleasantly surprised.

Gyeongbokgung is awesome (kinda hard to miss though since it's giant and centric). I'd recommend looking up the hours of the oficial free guided tours of the palace which are pretty good and will give you a deeper appreciation of the place
5efTKIM.jpg

Seoul tower is fun for a nice view of the city, you can go up with a cable car (or you can walk, it's not very long). It's nothing spectacular if you have been to to other similar places but, again, it gives you a view of the whole city. I was there in winter so the surrounding park was pretty dead but when it's all green it must be much nicer:

The war museum is totally worth a visit. It has an entire floor dedicated to the korean war and then another one for more historical conflicts. It just really well made and interesting, they even show movies and there's some short "4D" experiences. It also has an exterior section with a bunch of war vehicles you can check out:

Under this statue in Gwanghwamun Plaza there's another museum about the creation of the korean language as well as a legendary naval captain (general). Also worth checking out

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
Eat the Kimchi, Koreans wont respect you if you don’t.

Also try soju bombs in your hite. Shit is lit.

I don’t think I need to mention Korean BBQ right? Kailbi is amazing.

Last edited:

telasoman

I spent a week there with a friend last year.

The food is fantastic and super cheap compared to other areas. Going in the spring time seeing all the plants bloom is beautiful.

I did the USO tour of the DMZ, and found it very interesting. I recommend that if you aren't worried about anything. You are surrounded by US troops the entire time, the risk is very minimal.

If you get a chance to see the insides of some of the living spaces in the center of the city, it will make you appreciate having space in your own living area.

If you see a crowd of people form out of nowhere and/or start running after someone follow them. We did this and it ended up being some K-drama star who did funny things for the fans (weird I know, but we were just in a random park)

Sakura

Spent a few days in Seoul last month. To be honest, I didn't really like it all that much, but I'm not into the party life, so if you enjoy that stuff maybe it is different.
The war museum was kind of cool though.

NahaNago

Oh cool , I was planning on going in the spring of next year as well, but I'm not into partying or drinking so it will be more sightseeing , eating , and shopping. Though I might move it to summer due to financial reasons ( i'm taking a trip to Tokyo next month).

def check out Bukchon Hanok Village. it's an area right by Gyeongbokgung palace, and it's filled with cool food merchants, souvenirs, boutique, shops, etc in the old traditional korean architecture.

also check out and hang HanGang Park, which is a long stretch park along the Han river. You can order anything to be delivered to you while chilling at the park.

there's also tons of really nice bars and lounges all over such as whiskey bars like Keepers, Coffee Bar K, Le Chamber which is a speakeasy bar. There's also Burn which is a cigar whiskey bar and my personal fav since it's little bit more rustic. also I met a girl there, she was smoking a fat stogy and sipping on scotch all by herself in the corner.

also check out some Pojangmacha's. basically street food in tents laid across a street. cheap, good, and fun. you can google easily where to find them.

search for bars specialize in makgeolli, or where they have good makgeolli. it's a traditional korean rice wine, similar to unfiltered sake.

craft beer is getting very popular. mikkeller and goose island has a large taproom in seoul.

Last edited:
So as a Korean, I guess I can offer a few tips as well.

A lot of the signs have English, but finding someone who can easily communicate is not as easy as you might expect. Also, Google Maps is not the best when it comes to Korea--Naver Map or Kakao Map would be better, although I don't know if they have English versions.

The subways are pretty clean and easy to use, although they're a bit of a hassle if you don't buy a prepaid card. I'd recommend buying one at a station if you're planning to stay for more than a couple of days.

For nightlife and parties, Gangnam (obviously), Itaewon and Hongdae (the area near Hongik University) are good places to go. Odds are you'll probably see quite a few foreign people in the areas, be they students or tourists like you.

Food...Korean BBQ is somewhat more complex than what is usually found abroad, mainly in what meat and what part you eat. If you don't have any aversions, I'd recommend the pork belly (samgyupsal), yookgaejang (a spicy soup with meat and vegetables, looks red as hell), Korean fried chicken (it's different from what you find in America), sashimi (depending on whether you're good with raw fish), bibimbap (rice, veggies and meat mixed together). If you're more adventurous, I'd recommend gopchang (cow intestines); a personal favorite of mine, although I can see why some people would refuse to eat it.

Oh, and when it comes to meat, you'll handle the cooking of the meat at the table, so keep that in mind.

In addition to soju and mixing it with beer to make boilermakers of a sort, I'd recommend makgeolli (rice wine). It gives more people hangovers than soju, though, so be aware.

If you want more info, I'd be glad to share if you want specifics.

Cato

Banned
So I have decided sometime next year(spring or Summer) I want to travel to S. Korea. I've never traveled East before just mostly Europe. I've been watching A LOT of YT videos aout Seoul and the culture there. From what I gather S.Korea is way more 'Western' than Japan and like a lot of stuff us Americans do like Party and Drink A LOT. Seoul basically reminds me of Las Vegas, because they party all night into the early morning and open container laws they have in Korea, that Vegas and Bourbon St in New Orleans have.

Anyways, are there anything must does besides party at night and drink :D. Learning basic Korean words and phrases would be smart, but anything else that helps?

Thanks!

They have full service barber shops.

TrainedRage

Banned

Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/user/strictlydumpling

Top Bottom