• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Players Can Now Change Their PSN Region Within the EU

Posted for EssKayZee EssKayZee

via Dualshockers:

PlayStation players in the EU can now take advantage of changing their PSN region. Sadly, this store update only applies to EU players and those players will only be able to change their store region to other countries in the EU.

[...]This update is probably part of a new European law that restricts shops from being region locked.

[...]EU players will now be able to take advantage of any deals they were previously restricted from due to being a resident of another European country.

Details at link.

Close the thread if old or irrelevant.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Eu players can’t benefit from the cheaper US games yet, but it’s a start.

Makariel

Finally lol I have a few separate psn accounts because I moved within the EU but Sony wouldn't let me change the region.

Caayn

A new feature for EU accounts on PS4 allows users to switch the region of the PSN store that they use. The feature doesn't actually seem to do anything at the moment.

j3_fYlApaR9U_ZHPeADdcZ3-HqvdjPoayaF4b00JC6s.jpg

This might be thanks to a new EU law that has gone into effect this month (3-12) which makes it illegal to block users based on their geographical location within the EU (ie, citizens from Germany should be allowed to purchase online in France).

Discovered by:

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Good bye portuguese clunkystore, it was nice to meet you! So,,,, if i change my region, i get the internet speed of the new one?!!! Or just the language and prices?

Are prices standard across the EU? Steam pretty much went region lock happy when people started getting their games by trading with others from cheaper regions. I miss those times.

Z..

I'd imagine the best one to choose is probably Ireland, right? Get access to all those games stuck on the english stores because nobody bothered translating them and still remain in €.

A.Romero

European law came into effect that's why, geoblocking something something.

This means it is technically possible. I hope they bring this to my country (Mexico) so I can finally change my region to the country I live in.

Toe-Knee

Hmmm, isn't there an EU law about refunds for digital purchases?
You've always been able to get refund in the UK.

I've taken advantage of it loads when I buy something abs it goes on sale /plus within 14 days you can get the difference refunded.

Aranea

They really need to give us the option to change our store region entirely. For example my account is US and i switch it to a Japanese one. I could purchase games, avatars and other stuff from the Japanese store and my content will still be there even if when i switch my account back to US.

zeorhymer

Isn't this feature bugged or something? I read that people testing it was locked out of their purchased games. Did they fix that issue?

Oh man I really hope this goes to a wider region. If it had to be controlled, I wouldnt mind even if it allowed only once in a lifetime to change your region. I hate that Im stuck with my UAE (united arab emirates) account because A: I dont live there anymore and filling up my wallet is a major pain because it wont accept non UAE cards or non UAE paypal. So I have to resort to using a single gaming shop chain website that sells them digitally. The more popular sites offer European, American and Asian cards easily but UAE are non existent. Thats why Im kinda annoyed that by the time PS5 comes out Ill just make a fresh account for US or UK but then all my previous gaming progress is down the drain. Another reason why I want to break free from the UAE account is because they keep banning PS+ games at a random. Heavy Rain, Mafia 3, Outlast, God of War 3....but gore games like Friday 13th and Dead by Daylight were ok...

Kanhir

This is huge if you ever move to another country, since PSN cards are country-locked. Now I can finally buy cards locally instead of online!

Hostile_18

Banned
So this works for the UK now. I kind of expected every store to have a few different games up for pre-order earlier but no the ones I tried are all the same, as are all the current sale games in each store.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
By the way, you can also (fairly simply) set up another region account, use PSN vouchers for that account and then "share" the game to your main account. It shows in your library as if you'd bought it on your main account. I played the Ratchet & Clank reboot a week early from America by doing that.

By the way, you can also (fairly simply) set up another region account, use PSN vouchers for that account and then "share" the game to your main account. It shows in your library as if you'd bought it on your main account. I played the Ratchet & Clank reboot a week early from America by doing that.

Yeah you can do that but you still gotta chose on which account you want to collect the trophies. So even though I can get anything by making another account and playing it on my own, I just wish I could completely swap mine onto another region and not be bothered anymore. Its easy now but when its time to get a PS5, Im really considering making a brand new account with the region i want then to set up 3 different account again on the same machine juat so I can access all these things.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah you can do that but you still gotta chose on which account you want to collect the trophies.

Huh? I bought RnC on my USA account, "shared" the game to my UK account and got the trophies there.

Huh? I bought RnC on my USA account, "shared" the game to my UK account and got the trophies there.

Yeah thats how I do it. But Id rather have just one definitive account on which i got my PS+ than to have 3 different ones just because im missing some games that arent available on my main one. Pretty much if you have US or UK, you are set. These obscure ones as I stated to me the biggest problem is topping up my wallet. US and UK cards u got everywhere, UAE not so much or should I say only one place that sells them digital.

FranXico

Is the feature live already? I've been living in a different EU country for years, this would make PSN purchases much easier already.

FranXico

This is huge if you ever move to another country, since PSN cards are country-locked. Now I can finally buy cards locally instead of online!
PSN cards should not be country-locked in the first place, the same PSN card should be valid for an account from any EU country. Sony really showing their inability to evolve there.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'd imagine the best one to choose is probably Ireland, right? Get access to all those games stuck on the english stores because nobody bothered translating them and still remain in €.
Its what i use on my xbox one x

Filben

Many months ago I wanted to change my region from Austria to Germany because some feature don't work properly – friend with German account can't SharePlay/Watch with me on my Austrian account. Then I noticed that the Resident Evil 2 demo was for PS+ members only with German accounts, for free for Austrian accounts. I think I just keep it that way for now. I'm glad, though, they finally offer an option that was available at Xbox 360 times on Microsoft's end.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I dream to change my US account to BR account but continue to use the US Store (or have the option to change anytime).

Last edited:
Top Bottom