• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 disc reading problems

wd40

right boys heres what happened:

I just got a new OG model PS3, not PS2 enabled tho, and it came with Bioshock Infinite Complete Edition, which is pretty fucking nice. I blasted through the first bit of it again because that game is unreal, but at the start of the Battleship Bay area the game just stopped and told me the disc couldn't be read and that I have to quit. I accepted the normal human response of "oh the game is broken, what a shame.". BUT THEN I realised something fishy's going on. Scratched discs obviously don't play well if at all, but even my most fucked up game was still playable until the final sequence (Ratchet Gladiator, it's great go play it.), and I've seen some really messed up discs in my time, my sisters Harry Potter set looks like it was fed to a fucking tiger, and it still plays alright. Heres a picture of my Infinite disc:
image0.jpg

Weirder still, the game includes all the DLC in wee drop down menu for you to install, and all the DLC is on the disc, and installs without a hitch, does anyone know what could be the issue? More than just wanting to play the game again, I'm just curious whats causing the problem lol.

Also it's worth mentioning I suppose, that my disc is an American copy, but I have a PAL PS3. The PS3 isn't reigon locked, but maybe that's important.

Cheers

marquimvfs

Once the PS3 optical units become dirty that kind of problem is observed. You need to get your lens cleaned (by yourself or by some technician you trust).

Last edited:

P.Jack

Once the PS3 optical units become dirty that kind of problem is observed. You need to get your lens cleaned (bi yourself or by some technician you trust).
Yes, it is easy to clean the lens yourself with some isopropyl alcohol.

The problem is reaching it since the laser in the OG PS3 is anything but exposed. The PSTwo and PS3 Super Slim revisions are lovely in this regard, since they are toploaded like the PSX.
Its too bad the PS4 never got a toploaded model, but I’m thinking other parts will crap out before the laser anyway.

marquimvfs

Yes, it is easy to clean the lens yourself with some isopropyl alcohol.

The problem is reaching it since the laser in the OG PS3 is anything but exposed. The PSTwo and PS3 Super Slim revisions are lovely in this regard, since they are toploaded like the PSX.
Its too bad the PS4 never got a toploaded model, but I’m thinking other parts will crap out before the laser anyway.
Yea, it's pretty hard to align the loading
mechanism, for someone without experience.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't you need to downgrade it with a flasher if you were above a certain firmware number? It hasn't been that long that this isn't needed anymore, afaik.
Yeah sorta. I think it has 4 years or so since it has become easier to mod.

Banned
the disc could have an error and some disc drives are more sensitive to these than others.

I had an Xbox 360 that couldn't read a Mirror's Edge disc (I still have that disc actually) it always hung up in the 3rd mission.

then after I god the Slim I tried it in that and it worked flawlessly.

yould be a mix of an overly sensitive drive and a certain disc error that trips it up.

UncleMeat

You might want to try to stand up your ps3 vertically. I had a tech tell me once that it would help. It did seem to for a while but that ps3 was stolen so I couldn't tell you how it worked out long term.

Different model though; I take no responsibility if it explodes.

Last edited:

Rayderism

Try this, it worked for me. Even though the disk looks clean, take a dry micro-fiber cloth and wipe it down. See if that works.

VGEsoterica

Common PS3 fault sadly. I just fixed a launch PS2 BC compatible PS3 with disc read errors.

I'd just grab a new one. Not worth fixing most likely

Top Bottom