• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please recommend: Lesser known third person melee based game

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don't forget Dragon's Crown
a25ks6.gif

BossLackey

Gold Member
En Garde!

Just came out and I'm absolutely loving what I've played so far. Full of charm and wit and the combat's very engaging as well. Reminds me of Dark Messiah in places what with the whole physics-based-shoving-people-into-things-or-kicking-them-off-ledges. Lots of fun! :messenger_beaming:
This looks very charming! Wishlisted.

supernova8

Banned
Just started Kingdoms of Amalur re-reckoning on console recently but the camera is so fuckin janky! I changed it in the menu but it still feels so clunky.

Roberts

Have you played a Steelrising? It’s made by the same guys who made GreedFall, only this time it is a souls-like. Eurojank, sure but clearly made with a lot of passion. Enjoyed all the alt-universe steampunk chenigans and political intrigue during the French Revolution. Combat is pretty good too but nowhere near as hard as Dark Souls.

correojon

Aztez is very good, though it's 2D, but if you're after something with DMC/Bayo-like combat this is the way to go:

Assault Spy is the full package, I haven't played it but have only heard great things about it. It's indie DMC:

And Hi-Fi Rush, though I guess you have already played it:

Larxia

I know it's not lesser known at all, but it might have gone under your rader because you might not suspect it.
Did you ever try Kingdom Hearts games in critical mode? Especially 2 and 3, they are fantastic action games with a big challenge, and some of my favorite boss fights in gaming. I'm really putting an attention on "critial mode", because it's what changes everything. It's not just an higher difficulty, it totally rebalance the game for a different experience. It's harder but you also have access to more skills etc, making it one of the best action games in my opinion.

It might not seem like it in this no damage video, but this is maybe the hardest boss fight I ever played, took me about 10 hours to beat. It has very tight timing and you need to learn a lot about your oponent openings etc. I love the boss in this series, very interesting duels.

Now for something more like you asked, lesser known and in the janky-ish territory, I'd maybe suggest this one:
It has that eurojank vibe, but if you can go past it, it has some pretty cool gameplay systems. There are different combos and weapons, but you can also rewind time, and when you rewind time, your previous version of you will still act what you did before rewinding time. Let's say you are against a big ennemy, you can start shooting at him from on corner of the room, then rewind time for 10 seconds, and during these 10 seconds, you can go fight this ennemy while your clone is shooting at it, and you can rewind again and now there will be both your clone, shooting and melee fighting, there with you. It's like creating temporary allies and doing various situations with them, it can be pretty satisfying and fun. It's not an amazing game or anything, it feels cheap, but it's still fun enough and fits your criterias I think.

Don’t know how you could even play this game now, but you did ask for something obscure.

Oni_Coverart.jpg

There’s lots of melee, though not sword based, it’s all fists and feet. To me the game had something special that hasn’t ever really been replicated. It’s a third person shooter, but when you run outta bullets it turns into a third person fighting game. Combat becomes a beautiful blend of both, doing cool shit like disarming enemies with sweet kung fu moves, picking up loose ammo clips while cartwheeling to dodge a stream of bullets, jump kicking ninjas off roof tops, blasting fools with their own weapons point blank, it was a good old time! The game was a bit unfinished especially in the level design, but I bet the combat still holds up.

En Garde!

Just came out and I'm absolutely loving what I've played so far. Full of charm and wit and the combat's very engaging as well. Reminds me of Dark Messiah in places what with the whole physics-based-shoving-people-into-things-or-kicking-them-off-ledges. Lots of fun! :messenger_beaming:

EDIT: Cheapest over at https://gg.deals/game/en-garde/

Holy shit man, thank you I'm buying this. Looks like Puss in boots or Zoro!

Last edited:
Top Bottom