• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go: What I think of its future

ggx2ac

As we all know, Pokémon Go came out a few months ago. It became a really huge hit, it grossed > $440 million from around a month ago, it has iirc around 500 million downloads.

Niantic has had a lot of work to do to get the game out worldwide and now they are having to improve the content.

Where are they going to go from here though? They can release new Pokemon generations to get people to catch more Pokémon. What else?

One thing that is on my mind which is relevant to it and AR is HD Mapping. Ingress seemed revolutionary at the time with having a game where you play by travelling to locations using GPS. Pokémon Go has borrowed that idea but the gameplay has potential to improve.

What we know of the gameplay in Pokémon Go is that it's very 2D. The map gives you a location of where you are and where Pokémon appear. When you find a Pokémon it appears relative to where your camera was facing, you never have to look at the sky to catch a flying Pokémon or at water to catch a water Pokémon.

So what does this have to do with HD Mapping?
Here are some links to help explain.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hd-mapping-system.html

http://automotive.tomtom.com/en/highly-automated-driving/highly-detailed-map

Not long ago there was a keynote at GTC Europe given by Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang linked here:

https://youtu.be/npzRyTimcZo

(The only relevant part about HD Mapping I can remember starts at 1 hour 28 minutes)

It's a long video and I can't check right now where he talks about HD Mapping and self-driving cars showing video demonstrations of it. (The keynote also talks about Deep Learning and AI)

The point of these links is to show where mapping is going to due self-driving cars. They are becoming more detailed and showing environments in 3D, with Deep Learning we'll now have AI continuously updating the data sent to servers since no one environment stays the same over time.

So, just like how GPS appeared in cars and then ended up in phones. We could have HD Mapping on our smartphones in the near future.

What does HD Mapping mean for Pokémon Go or AR gaming in general?

It means our playing environments change from 2D to 3D. Where you only had to go to a general location to catch a Pokémon, you may have to look at specific part of the ground to catch a rattata or at tree height to catch a zubat. This could be improved upon further by making Pokémon appear at unique locations like at the top of a famous landmark.

Anyway, this was just one idea related to Pokémon Go and AR gaming seeing as the tech for HD Mapping is already in use by TomTom so the quicker the adoption of HD Mapping occurs due to tech for Autonomous Cars, the quicker we'll have HD Maps on our phones for our local walking environments to play AR games with. (And finding locations more easily.)

Edit: Just thought of something, to deal with mapping off-road areas they could use Autonomous Drones.

Irish_Kappa

Neo Member
I think HD Mapping is a fantastic idea, but isn't it too complex to execute? I can't see it as a simple upgrade...

As of right now, in order to stall the loss of players the best thing to do IS add the next generation and then continue to make the "smaller" upgrades like trading and pvp battling

Zubz

Banned
Huh. I could see them going that route. Especially because they'd need to do a sequel to get people back at this point; I think the vast majority dropped the game due to a lack of updates/it being Fall (So colder weather and the start of school) making wandering around for Pokemon less appealing.

If they get HD Mapping worked out by next Summer, I can definitely see a "Pokemon Go 2: Pokemon Going" coming out with a new map/Post-Gen 1 Mons.

jnWake

Even though it sounds interesting I doubt they'd do much with that considering you can disable AR currently. I think they don't want to force people to use AR to catch Pokémon.

My main desire for Pokémon Go, other than new generations, is that they add more interactivity with your Pokémon. Currently you catch a Pokémon and there isn't much you can do with it. Pokémon games usually feature (especially the later ones) many activites you can do with your Pokémon and battling is much more frequent than in Pokémon Go. I barely look at my caught Pokémon currently. IMO there should be stuff like training minigames or move tutoring. Maybe some small minigames like Pokémon Amie to earn coins or items or something like that.

I also wish there was more advantage to being in a team. In Ingress the team feeling is much bigger than in Pokémon Go IMO.

Finally, from what the developers have said, the future of the game is in events, like the Mewtwo one in those live action trailers. Essentially, there should be more to do in the game than grinding candy. I mainly use Pokémon Go when walking but I wish I could do more with it, especially if I'm at home.

Onaco

Niantic can't figure how to make a tracker work. Now you want them to figure out a technology that hasn't even been fully implemented yet into the consumer market? When they figure out how to optimize their game for a resaonable battery life, or learn how to make trading, tracking, and basic no-brainer features into this game, then I want to see this, too.

I feel sorry for the team for working on such a gigantic project with expectations beyond their capabilities, but I also expect that a brand like this should have held some weight in what they were going to be getting themselves into.

suaveric

Didn't they say this game was going to get biweekly updates when they launched? What the hell happened to that.

ggx2ac

Huh. I could see them going that route. Especially because they'd need to do a sequel to get people back at this point; I think the vast majority dropped the game due to a lack of updates/it being Fall (So colder weather and the start of school) making wandering around for Pokemon less appealing.

If they get HD Mapping worked out by next Summer,
I can definitely see a "Pokemon Go 2: Pokemon Going" coming out with a new map/Post-Gen 1 Mons.

This is something I'm not expecting to see for a few years.

So it would be like a next-gen Pokémon Go as opposed to a sequel.

But hey, I've predicted things that have happened much faster than expected.

Irish_Kappa

Neo Member
My main desire for Pokémon Go, other than new generations, is that they add more interactivity with your Pokémon. Currently you catch a Pokémon and there isn't much you can do with it. Pokémon games usually feature (especially the later ones) many activites you can do with your Pokémon and battling is much more frequent than in Pokémon Go. I barely look at my caught Pokémon currently. IMO there should be stuff like training minigames or move tutoring. Maybe some small minigames like Pokémon Amie to earn coins or items or something like that.

You know, now that you mentioned it... Pokémon Amie would make a fantastic addition to GO

ggx2ac

Niantic can't figure how to make a tracker work. Now you want them to figure out a technology that hasn't even been fully implemented yet into the consumer market? When they figure out how to optimize their game for a resaonable battery life, or learn how to make trading, tracking, and basic no-brainer features into this game, then I want to see this, too.

I feel sorry for the team for working on such a gigantic project with expectations beyond their capabilities, but I also expect that a brand like this should have held some weight in what they were going to be getting themselves into.

This is what I expect to happen in the future, not immediately. Niantic didn't expect to make so much revenue with Pokémon Go so it makes sense what to innovate in the future especially when they have a few hundred million dollars to invest.

Biske

The game needs such massive changes to even be worth a damn that it would be an entirely different game.

I stopped playing and I don't miss it. Too little too late, one day if there is a massive update that really changes things I will check it out again. But otherwise the fad has passed for me.

It's also getting cold, so no matter what they do, I'm not playing that shit again til spring at best.

daman824

They really blew it. I can't believe they haven't even released an event for legendaries. I don't expect stuff like friend battles and trading until next summer. New pokemon won't be in the game for well over a year.

If they ever manage to get around to what you're describing in the op, it's not going to be for a very, very long time. Like 5 years if not longer.

Game's legit worse now than it was at launch in terms of content. Dunno how anybody's expecting much more from it than what currently exists. Game development is a big ordeal, but Niantic failing to fix basic stuff you learn in Unity 101 doesn't provide me with any faith in them.

Nintendo's gonna stop in at Niantic one if these days and find the building abandoned or something.

Top Bottom