• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon franchise grossed $11.6 billion in licensed merchandise sales last year

Created annually by License Global, the Top Global Licensors report is a ranking of global retail sales for licensed consumer products and experiences.
Each year, License Global calls for intellectual property owners to provide revenue figures of licensed goods and their formulas for the prior year. The License Global editorial team then validates each brand and curates submitted figures to build each edition of the report.
In total, the Top Global Licensors report retail sales of licensed consumer products and experiences in 2022 of $278 billion.
The top 20 of the 84 brands in the report generated a combined $230 billion, with $189 billion in the top 10 alone. The top 10 brands, each returning to the Top Global Licensors report, saw an average growth rate of 20% year-over-year (YoY), with individual businesses seeing YoY growth as high as 61%. 
The Top 10 Global Licensors of 2023:
  • The Walt Disney Company – $61.7 billion 
  • Dotdash Meredith – $31.5 billion (E) 
  • Authentic Brands Group – $24.1 billion (E) 
  • Warner Bros. Discovery – $15.8 billion (E) 
  • The Pokémon International Company – $11.6 billion
  • Hasbro – $11.5 billion (E) 
  • NBCUniversal/Universal Products & Experiences – $10.5 billion 
  • Mattel – $8 billion (E) 
  • Bluestar Alliance – $7.5 billion 
  • WHP Global – $6.7 billion (E) 
More at: https://www.licenseglobal.com/repor...273-4-billion-in-sales-for-world-s-top-brands

Based on my Quick googling Nintendo owns 32% The Pokemon Company, which is why I asked in the first place https://screenrant.com/pokemon-company-owner-game-freak-nintendo-creatures/
Yeah, forgot to say that those royalties are received by The Pokémon Company since they're the licensor for anything Pokemon and not Nintendo themselves since like you've said they're part owner only.

In any case, I'm curious about it as well, so if anyone has more info on this please share.

Last edited:

bosnianpie

With these kind of figures the games should definitely be more high quality. Imagine what they could do with the series if they just took their time and invested more in them.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Why do the games look like utter garbage year on year?? This company is making insane bank and spits out games that look 2 generation old

Shut0wen

With these kind of figures the games should definitely be more high quality. Imagine what they could do with the series if they just took their time and invested more in them.
Depends on how much of that revenue goes towards gamefreak, nintendo more than likely recieves a percentage to but the makers of the pokemon items would recieve much more percentage then gamefreak and nintendo

It seems some are just know understanding what a maximizing profits strategy means when you're winning in the market. Revenue for Pokémon as a brand is as high as ever, so why should The Pokémon Company, and by extension, Nintendo, change their strategy towards profiting from the brand? The Pokémon crowd just get the games they deserve since they're voting with their wallets. The numbers speak by themselves.

NikuNashi

A fool and his money are easily parted.

Laughs in Gamefreak exec, please keep buying PS2 looking games in 2023.

bosnianpie

Depends on how much of that revenue goes towards gamefreak, nintendo more than likely recieves a percentage to but the makers of the pokemon items would recieve much more percentage then gamefreak and nintendo

It would be a safe bet to say that they are making enough money to produce more high quality games.

Monkfish877

Pokemon company execs must be be wiping their asses with $100 bills because that money sure as hell isn't going towards their games.

KXVXII9X

Remember the boomers in the 90s "it's just a fad"
I remember them all giving me hell for playing it and thinking I was insane. Turns out I wasn't the only one and is one of the biggest franchises around. I now slowly leave the series behind but am thankful for all the great memories. They still know how to get people to buy tons of merchandise.

Stroking that huge pokadex. It would be nice if people could see some of that put back into games as to not run like fucking ass.

KXVXII9X

a few years ago a friend of mine told me how Nintendo's biggest issue is that they don't have a cash cow lol.
Laughing Hysterically Rockos Modern Life GIF by NickRewind

Has your friend been living under a rock?

Top Bottom