• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post-apocalyptic science-fiction action RPG and PlayStation China Hero Project title 'AI LIMIT' will launch for PlayStation 5 and PC via Steam in 2024

Post-apocalyptic science-fiction action RPG and PlayStation China Hero Project title AI LIMIT will launch for PlayStation 5 and PC via Steam in 2024, publisher CE-Asia and developer SenseGames announced. The previously announced PlayStation 4 version is no longer planned.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam product page:

Explore the unknown apocalyptic world​

After the sudden yet mysterious collapse of the artificial ecosystem, natural disasters and wars ensued, the civilization was wiped out. And in the centuries that followed, a strange substance known as the Mud spread everywhere, and monsters emerged.
You will step into the last city of mankind - Havenswell, exploring cold and damp sewers, layers of slums, sky city above the lake, etc., seeking the truth about the destruction of civilization in monster-infested ruins. Travel through wonders, face mysterious and deadly enemies, and put an end to an eerie and desperate history.
G01.gif

A journey with a mysterious mission​

Blader has the appearance of human, but it is actually a new life form created by mysterious technology. With their own missions, they embark on a lonely and dangerous journey, and with the power of the Branches, they respawn after fatal death.
Now that the Branches have been destroyed, you, as one of the Bladers, will have to search for and repair the Branches all over the city. You will meet humans and fellow Bladers who are also in dire straits, feel their joys and sorrows, as well as their faith in despair, and together uncover the truth behind the plagues and disasters.
G02.gif

Facing an overwhelming and mysterious enemy head-on​

Warriors who lose themselves and degenerate into crazy beasts;
A killing machine who walks the skies covered in razor-sharp blades;
The colossal beasts trampling on the earth, ravaging cities with collisions and explosions
You will need to challenge the powerful beasts from multiple forces in death and rebirth over and over again, catching the breaks from the fierce attacks and going all out to win and continue the journey to the end of the world.
G03.gif

Experience diverse and exhilarating action battles​

◆ Wide variety and number of weapons.
◆ Mix and match your weapons and weapon skills.
◆ Increase Sync Rate with brave attack and wise defense, become even mightier in battle.
◆ The transformation mechanism in your left hand can drive dozens of spells, attack or assist at will.
◆ Utilize multiple systems to achieve a rich combination of moves, and seize the opportunity in the ever-changing exchange of attack and defense.
G04.gif

Explore the city’s ruins for powerful weapons, clothing and relics of old civilizations​

Delve deep into the eerie and magnificent ruins of the city and discover weapons and clothing of different styles and capabilities - either overrun by powerful monsters or hidden in the depths of the intricate alleyways. In addition to their combat attributes, the weapons and clothing offer unique cosmetic variations, so go into battle with a one-of-a-kind look!
In addition, you can find relics of old civilizations scattered throughout the area as you explore. Utilize your Blader's ability to read the memories left on them, and get a glimpse of the history of Havenswel!
G05.gif

This looks interesting and original.

Next time someone makes a thread of a new Chinese game, they should pretend it's a new Japanese IP and watch posters cream over it. The moment China is mentioned on this forum in a thread title, people are swift to come in and shout "Knock-off". It's vapid and probably a bit racist.

Did China ape Japanese anime's visual style? Yes. But it's popular and S. Korea isn't any different. Gaf needs to cool it with the constant shitting on anything Chinese and thinly veiled racism. It's so old.

bender

What time is it?
Enemy designs are kind of boring (almost like the Root from Remnant). The environment are giving me a Below vibe.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Next time someone makes a thread of a new Chinese game, they should pretend it's a new Japanese IP and watch posters cream over it. The moment China is mentioned on this forum in a thread title, people are swift to come in and shout "Knock-off". It's vapid and probably a bit racist.

Did China ape Japanese anime's visual style? Yes. But it's popular and S. Korea isn't any different. Gaf needs to cool it with the constant shitting on anything Chinese and thinly veiled racism. It's so old.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
I appreciate these projects so much.

Sony helping small unknown teams that otherwise wouldn't usually be able to make these games. And PlayStation gamers getting new games from new teams to play, thus increasing their game library.

Can't wait to see what they do with the Indian Hero Project.

This.

I celebrate the efforts of these talented Chinese and S. Korean studios because I'm aware that they are the frontier of game development centers. What started in Japan, is now centered in Europe and the US, but eventually, could very well end up becoming an Asia-dominated gaming industry again. Especially when Asian devs are laser-focused on providing the best feeling gameplay with cool, interesting, and quirky stories (with none of the woke pandering propaganda).

Last edited:

mrcroket

Sony helping small unknown teams that otherwise wouldn't usually be able to make these games. And PlayStation gamers getting new games from new teams to play, thus increasing their game library.

The publisher is CE Asia, Sony has nothing to do with it. If it's not released on other platforms, it's probably because there is no market for this game on those.

drotahorror

This.

I celebrate the efforts of these talented Chinese and S. Korean studios because I'm aware that they are the frontier of game development centers. What started in Japan, is now centered in Europe and the US, but eventually, could very well end up becoming an Asia-dominated gaming industry again. Especially when Asian devs are laser-focused on providing the best feeling gameplay with cool, interesting, and quirky stories (with none of the woke pandering propaganda).

These games just don't come out. That's my issue with Chinese/Korean games. They look amazing but never materialize.

My silly comment was actually talking about the looks of the game. It doesn't look graphically insane like some of these eastern games. So it might actually come out this year.

StereoVsn

These are just on the first page:
You are looking for something that doesn’t exist, ie quick to jump to racism card. If this was a Japanese game most folks would knock it the same.

The game just looks familiar to folks, and a lot of Chinese titles we seem to be getting lately from Sony’s program are mainly action oriented boss rushes.

There are of course Sword and Fairy, Gujian and other games which are more full featured RPGs, but this one ain’t it.

Edit; For great recent Chinese games, I would rather look to more indie titles like Wandering Sword or Hero’s Adventure: Road to Passion (name is dumb, game is great).

Or previously mentioned Gujian 3, Sword and Fairy 7 and Xuyan-Yuan 7 (or Tales/Path of Wuxia, but translation sucks there).

Last edited:

CamHostage

They also don't lock down these Hero Project games. They clearly steer them towards PlayStation releases (+PC), but several of the games have launched later on Xbox and Switch and I think mobile is also possible under the program. (I think one was also originally announced as PC-only despite being in the PlayStation China Hero Project system, but that game got canned.)

It benefits PlayStation, it benefits gamers.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They also don't lock down these Hero Project games. They clearly steer them towards PlayStation releases (+PC), but several of the games have launched later on Xbox and Switch and I think mobile is also possible under the program. (I think one was also originally announced as PC-only despite being in the PlayStation China Hero Project system, but that game got canned.)

It benefits PlayStation, it benefits gamers.
True. And even if there wasn't a clause for PS full- or timed-exclusivity, it makes sense why a tiny team would prioritize PlayStation for their release.

1) They are getting technical support from the PS team, teaching them how to make a PS game.
2) They are not big enough to work on multiple platforms simultaneously.
3) PS is the most popular console in their country.

CamHostage

True. And even if there wasn't a clause for PS full- or timed-exclusivity, it makes sense why a tiny team would prioritize PlayStation for their release.

1) They are getting technical support from the PS team, teaching them how to make a PS game.
2) They are not big enough to work on multiple platforms simultaneously.
3) PS is the most popular console in their country.

The program itself is also trying to get Chinese developers (and ideally Chinese game buyers) into console game production, which is important since most Chinese player markets are mobile-centric and PC next. Switch is gaining traction there so Sony's work probably may ultimately work for its competitor as much as anybody in that region (so far, the best couple of PS CHP games such as FIST and Hardcore Mecha have been ported to Switch, but as UE5 and high-spec takes over, we'll see if that continues on Switch or its future successor,) but still it's a good program for getting DualShocks into Chinese gamers' hands, and for getting some of them off their phones to play some bigger games.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Looks ok, but I would rather have towns and NPCs. This kind of looks like a Nier knockoff of a sort. Which isn’t a bad thing mind you.

Yeah, AI Limit isn't the most original title out of the PS China Hero Project lineup. (They have a couple of these hero action games, which is kind of disappointing to see one genre stack up since the initial wave had a lot of variety... but ultimately these CHP developers gotta eat and PlayStation's not going to pay all their bills, so do what works I guess.)

What I do like about AI Limit as shown so far is how much the trailer shows defensive moves more commonly than attacks; that shows a focus on balance and challenge in the combat design, not just grinding and flashy combos, (although dodging or even parrying endlessly can be cheap-play too.) Visuals are also nice and moody, if not overtly original. It's not high on my watch-list, but I hope it turns out well.

gtabro

As much as I'm not into anime-styled games this looks kinda cool, Code Vain and Genshin Impact's art styles seem really kiddy to me personally, this one is more ok, will keep an eye on the reviews when it comes out. Sadly, reading the title I got really pumped and I don't blame OP, guess I'm starved for one particular type of RPG so riddle me this:

How come in 2000-2011 we got all these open-world action 3rd person (and 1st for some) RPGs that were open world, felt lived in, had actual quests that were proper adventures and not just fetch quests*, and now even Obsidian can't make their Avowerd to be one seamless open world? Wtf happened, the last time time one such game came out I feel it was Kingdom Come: Deliverance and I loved every. single. second. with it. So how come we are now DROWNING in these linear (GoW/Ragnarok) or segmented world RPGs (Vampyr)?

*talking about the likes of Gothic, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3/NV (Obsidian, you made this, y u no make it again, is the Creation engine actually that easy to make open worlds with despite its buginess? Have we been too harsh to it?)

I just miss the enthralling joy of this experience... :messenger_crying:

72ef69443206da2885e75aa3ef5b3d5bd87a1490.gifv

fxpB.gif

Last edited:

OceanGaming

Obsidian, you made this, y u no make it again, is the Creation engine actually that easy to make open worlds with despite its buginess? Have we been too harsh to it?
I'm a (well, was) mod maker for BethSoft games. It is (or was) even easier than you think for Gamebryo/CE1.0, but i cannot comment on 2.0, especially if it is just a single world CELL.

Obsidian's Josh Sawyer on Gamebyro: "There's no way in hell that our team could have made Fallout New Vegas without that tool."

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
That looks really familiar.

Looks ok, but I would rather have towns and NPCs. This kind of looks like a Nier knockoff of a sort. Which isn’t a bad thing mind you.

Need to see more, but looks awesome!
If plays like souls, no buy. If plays like a real action rpg game then day 1.

Another souls like game for people to bitch about.

It does seem like an anime Souls game. It looks alright. Couple of cool attacks. I'm not really that optimistic about it.

We have Code Vein at home honey guys

kiphalfton

As much as I'm not into anime-styled games this looks kinda cool, Code Vain and Genshin Impact's art styles seem really kiddy to me personally, this one is more ok, will keep an eye on the reviews when it comes out. Sadly, reading the title I got really pumped and I don't blame OP, guess I'm starved for one particular type of RPG so riddle me this:

How come in 2000-2011 we got all these open-world action 3rd person (and 1st for some) RPGs that were open world, felt lived in, had actual quests that were proper adventures and not just fetch quests*, and now even Obsidian can't make their Avowerd to be one seamless open world? Wtf happened, the last time time one such game came out I feel it was Kingdom Come: Deliverance and I loved every. single. second. with it. So how come we are now DROWNING in these linear (GoW/Ragnarok) or segmented world RPGs (Vampyr)?

*talking about the likes of Gothic, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3/NV (Obsidian, you made this, y u no make it again, is the Creation engine actually that easy to make open worlds with despite its buginess? Have we been too harsh to it?)

fxpB.gif

Sounds like you don't like linear games... which is ironic because you say you like
felt lived in, had actual quests that were proper adventures and not just fetch quests*

Lost Soul Aside, Stellar Blade and now this. 2024 truly is the year of the kickass chinese made anime hack n slash disguised as arpg titles.

Last edited:
My issue is with the sweeping comment you made that implies that the people with different opinions are racists. It's like people from 2020 to 2023 calling a right-wing/conservative/Republican a Nazi. Disagreement doesn't equal Nazi, nor does it equal racism.
I'm calling them racists. I'm saying the knee-jerk assumption that any game out of China is immediately a rip-off is racist. The idea is racist, not necessarily the person espousing it.

It's a subtle but nuanced distinction, but an important one.

Last edited:

gtabro

I'm a (well, was) mod maker for BethSoft games. It is (or was) even easier than you think for Gamebryo/CE1.0, but i cannot comment on 2.0, especially if it is just a single world CELL.

Obsidian's Josh Sawyer on Gamebyro: "There's no way in hell that our team could have made Fallout New Vegas without that tool."
Ah so just I suspected... Thanks for the link, I've had a look (y)

Sounds like you don't like linear games... which is ironic because you say you like
Well then, to clarify - I don't mind either way. After 20 years of gaming I have found that - for me - it works best when I play opposite types of games right after each other. So this month it's a more linear sci-fi title like Prey, then off to a large sprawling mostly fantasy world like Zelda BotW (just an example, but that indeed happened in 2017). It's just I miss a very specific type of RPG right now and every time I read this abbreviation I am secretly hoping it's the Skyrim-killer, but alas :)

fxpB.gif
FF Rebirth?

Surprised this isn't releasing on PS4.

Game looks awful and generic.

Totally get the desire for them to draw new avenues for development resources and not all first games can knock it out of the park. I bet this will be a mid to high 60s or low 70s at best on MC.

This post should have been an OP for an entirely different thread.

However to answer your question, it’s because

A) A soulslike costs way less budget-wise than what you want and on average has good sales data (so that the small budget can be made back)
B) You would need way more manpower, writers and voice actors (because releasing that huge rpg you want without voice acting would be a dumb choice)
C) Ubisoft has been doing a great job in making sure that people dislike huge open worlds with repetitive quests.
D) Speaking of repetitive quests, the public opinion has started to slowly turn on Bethesda and Todd due to Starfield’s questionable quality and lack of innovation.

All in all, your favorite type of game, open world RPGs, is in dire need of a big shakeup. Part of the reason I personally have been leaning towards soulslikes is because I have grown tired of lazy quest and dialogue writing(save my village, kill x amount of y, etc.) so I would rather devs just cut the fat and we just have less of it, while also using gameplay and environments to tell their own stories on top of this. It seems others also feel this way.

I thought that Code Vein was a great example of mixing a JRPG with a soulslike. You still get intriguing story with the well animated cutscenes and melodramatic moments, but all of the other stuff that would normally be filler and sidequests are put either into the background, or found organically through environmental cues and notes.

Each optional soulslike ‘sidequest’ leads you to a specific special item because soulslikes usually don’t go overboard like open world RPGs where they constantly feed you a sword with 2 more damage points right after you just looted another sword two minutes ago. Instead it’s always a meaningful or different weapon amongst a small selection of findable weapons, that all can usually be upgraded up until the end of the game.

The reason I’m bringing this up, is to say your version of Western RPG mixed with soulslike would be a potentially more interesting way forward as an experiment. Either that, or way more engaging writing and storytelling to make it feel as important as the gameplay(like Baldur’s Gate 3 or Mass Effect 2).

I like pointing back to Mass Effect 2 because that game is literally a shining pinnacle of masterful writing, storytelling, and pacing in a western RPG. Every quest in ME 2 felt important, engaging, and/or meaningful. There was never a moment where I felt like I had to go ‘kill 5 goblins and turn in xp’. The quests were paced perfectly, the camerawork felt cinematic, engaging, and grounded(not static), and the game did not overstay it’s welcome. We need more of that, even with open world.

Instead we keep getting the “help my village to kill 5 goblins” games instead. They might as well be single player MMOs.

kiphalfton

Ah so just I suspected... Thanks for the link, I've had a look (y)

Well then, to clarify - I don't mind either way. After 20 years of gaming I have found that - for me - it works best when I play opposite types of games right after each other. So this month it's a more linear sci-fi title like Prey, then off to a large sprawling mostly fantasy world like Zelda BotW (just an example, but that indeed happened in 2017). It's just I miss a very specific type of RPG right now and every time I read this abbreviation I am secretly hoping it's the Skyrim-killer, but alas :)
Maybe try Two Worlds I and II. I heard it sucks, but maybe mods have made it better (if you have a PC).

gtabro

This post should have been an OP for an entirely different thread.

However to answer your question, it’s because

A) A soulslike costs way less budget-wise than what you want and on average has good sales data (so that the small budget can be made back)
B) You would need way more manpower, writers and voice actors (because releasing that huge rpg you want without voice acting would be a dumb choice)
C) Ubisoft has been doing a great job in making sure that people dislike huge open worlds with repetitive quests.
D) Speaking of repetitive quests, the public opinion has started to slowly turn on Bethesda and Todd due to Starfield’s questionable quality and lack of innovation.

All in all, your favorite type of game, open world RPGs, is in dire need of a big shakeup. Part of the reason I personally have been leaning towards soulslikes is because I have grown tired of lazy quest and dialogue writing(save my village, kill x amount of y, etc.) so I would rather devs just cut the fat and we just have less of it, while also using gameplay and environments to tell their own stories on top of this. It seems others also feel this way.

I thought that Code Vein was a great example of mixing a JRPG with a soulslike. You still get intriguing story with the well animated cutscenes and melodramatic moments, but all of the other stuff that would normally be filler and sidequests are put either into the background, or found organically through environmental cues and notes.

Each optional soulslike ‘sidequest’ leads you to a specific special item because soulslikes usually don’t go overboard like open world RPGs where they constantly feed you a sword with 2 more damage points right after you just looted another sword two minutes ago. Instead it’s always a meaningful or different weapon amongst a small selection of findable weapons, that all can usually be upgraded up until the end of the game.

The reason I’m bringing this up, is to say your version of Western RPG mixed with soulslike would be a potentially more interesting way forward as an experiment. Either that, or way more engaging writing and storytelling to make it feel as important as the gameplay(like Baldur’s Gate 3 or Mass Effect 2).

I like pointing back to Mass Effect 2 because that game is literally a shining pinnacle of masterful writing, storytelling, and pacing in a western RPG. Every quest in ME 2 felt important, engaging, and/or meaningful. There was never a moment where I felt like I had to go ‘kill 5 goblins and turn in xp’. The quests were paced perfectly, the camerawork felt cinematic, engaging, and grounded(not static), and the game did not overstay it’s welcome. We need more of that, even with open world.

Instead we keep getting the “help my village to kill 5 goblins” games instead. They might as well be single player MMOs.

I wanted to, but I guess there's some criteria for new members before the "New Thread" or whatever it's called button appears...Tried looking up the FAQ but didn't see what said criteria is, if anyone can tell me what I need to do, that'd be great (even in a PM).
Otherwise yeah, you make good points, and I share a lot of your sentiment indeed.

I wanted to, but I guess there's some criteria for new members before the "New Thread" or whatever it's called button appears...Tried looking up the FAQ but didn't see what said criteria is, if anyone can tell me what I need to do, that'd be great (even in a PM).
Otherwise yeah, you make good points, and I share a lot of your sentiment indeed.
If I recall correctly you need at least 50 posts in order to become a 'member' and receive thread making privileges.

If you ever feel like making a thread before you hit 50 let me know and I’ll post the thread and credit you at the top.

Tams

Most South Korean games have some unsettling aesthetic that I can't quite put my finger on, and a fair few are just shit or knock offs.

And many Chinese ones still are knock offs.

Anyway, China are a shitty country not worth supporting and not because of race. Taiwan on the other hand, sure.

Top Bottom