• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 5 beta impressions.

Copy and past from http://www.pesfan.com/bulletin/showthread.php?t=77765&highlight=pes5 and
http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=21911&page=42&pp=30
Originally Posted by Riot
Sitting at an airport lounge at an undisclosed location. Played a good 3-4 hours of PES5 (Not WE9!) last night. Full Impressions in a few hours. NO photos though, that was not allowed unfortunately.

I have to say that for those of us who have played WE8LE, the interface and options are almost exactly the same both in terms of look and functionality. The ML looked exactly the same as in WE8LE, with the execption of the button graphics, which are a bit different.

The Middle Ground (or something like that) ability is awesome! I played a match with Chelsea and shot a stunning goal from over 30 metres with Lampard. A ******* piledriver of a shot that hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced with an helpless Gigi Buffon trying to get to the ball. Awesome! After that I picked Inter and kept trying to do the same with Veron and Adriano. These guys are now lethal outside the box with their shooting ability....very, very cool, but didnt feel over the top at all..its just nice that you can finally score from farther outside the box unlike in WE8LE. Adriano's shots were just really powerful. Of course, I then tried with Zanetti and Makelele to no avail..so you need to have a skilled, hard shooting player to pull it off. Lampard's and Robbens stats were much improved btw.

Goalkeeper animations have changed a lot. They can now throw the ball almost to the halfway line. When you have a throw in and use o to throw, you get a powerbar and the animation is faster as is the throw itself. Not as slow as in WE8LE. Also, when pass with X, you get a powerbar. You can see players staming under their names in the HUD. You can turn that off if you want.

I can confirm that there's loads of new national teams like Ecuador and so on...not sure, if anyone of us cares, but there they are.

Network option was available in the main menu of PES5. This is no surprise of course, I mentioned online gameplay in Europe PS2 a while ago. Arsenal and Chelski kits look awesome. Faces are much improved with the likes of Fabregas, Hyypiä and Senderos looking superb.
The code I played was not finished, but it did have 50/60hz option and in 50hz there was NO slowdown and in 60Hz, in four matches, there was *very* little slowdown during one corner kick. Not nearly as evident as in WE8LE, where I tghought the slowdown wasn't bad either. Like when you take goal kicks in PES5, the camera moves smoothly and slow/jerkily like in PES4/WE8LE.
Goalkeepers...hm, at first felt they aren't much better than in WE8LE, but they are. They spill the ball a little less often (I played on four stars) and hold on to it better. They are more aggressive in corner kicks. I cant really tell better, I need to play a whole lot more. I gotta say that while the goalies in WE8LE are a bit dumb, I like that high scoring matches. I think they've improved the goalies in PES5/WE9 a bit.
Now playing PES4... :lol

Socreges

Banned
Love you, Riot xoxo

Could you explain this "Middle Ground" ability a bit more? I understand that it gives you more powerful shots from far out, but how is that done?

And what other gameplay changes are there?

Dribbling seems easier to do in that one video.... but maybe AI defense is stronger.......

Thank you

Thanks Riot. That Middle Ground feature sounds like it will force me to buy the new PES/WE. Although I doubt I could have stopped myself from doing that in the first place...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Tim the Wiz said:
Thanks Riot. That Middle Ground feature sounds like it will force me to buy the new PES/WE. Although I doubt I could have stopped myself from doing that in the first place...
what about the rumor that that Konami snagged the EPL license? i've seen shots of fully licensed Arsenal and Chelsea kits in som of the footage and still shots, with sponsors!

if they're able to do that i'll even buy two copies - one for my xbox and the other for my computer.

RiotPelaaja said:
Heh, nice of you to put my hands-on up here. More will follow today.
It's very funny how the members of the Evo-Web are looking for you to answer so many questions. Hilarious... :lol

anthony

Thanks riot, i've been looking forward to this for a while. WE8L was very solid for me and now all i want from the series is more "variety", such as "do-able" long rang shots and incidental things that happen often in football.

You mentioned one of things in your impressions, i hope to hear of more that you come accross.

thanks again mate.

Top Bottom