• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 on LCD Monitor: Best Method to Convert 480i to 1280x1024?

Sooo, my SDTV is officially driving me off the deep end. The image is near pitch black unless I max the bright and regardless of the setting the PQ would make you swear you're seeing double. I can stand it for TV, but games are killing me, so I've been trying to figure out what to use to play ps2 games on my LCD, through VGA. Unfortunately, I'm not really well informed on this issue, so I'm calling upon the dubious wisdom of GAF for help. That said, this is a temporary solution, since within the year I'll probably (probably not ;_;) be buying a HDTV. As such, the solution NEEDS to be cheap. Any thoughts, GAF? What devices do you suggest?

Just a recap:
-Convert 480i PS2 games to 1280x1024
-Least lag possible with the best PQ possible (naturally)
-Supports VGA output at 1280x1024
-Cheap (somewhere reasonably close to $50)

Also, because showing up empty handed is a no no, the best I could come up with was this, this, and this. Any first hand experience with any of these devices, Gaffers?

P.S. Because I know it'll be asked several times. Yes, I did do a search, 4 in fact, but all I found were progressive in to progressive out discussions and 1 interlaced/progressive discussion, which had no useful info at all. If I missed anything, I apologize.

SleazyC

Probably want to give the Xploder disc a try but it doesn't work with everything.

Other then that sounds like you are asking for an external hardware scaler and those usually cost a couple thousand dollars.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/742/742965p1.html

$40... but results are somewhat ugly as PS2 games aren't designed for resolution higher than 480p..

4 Performance
Succeeded in deinterlacing 480i games to 480p. Caused distortion at 720p and 1080i. 576p could not be tested.
8 Build Quality
Nicely packaged with an included Component video wire in a tin box.
5 Video Quality
480i to 480p deinterlacing is functional. Distorted, stretched, and shrunk 480i games when up-scaled to 720p and 1080i.
7 Ease of Use
Boot the HDTV Player software, select resolution, eject, insert game, reboot. Not hard but a little time consuming.
5 Value
With 480i to 480p deinterlacing as the only fully functional feature we were able to enjoy, the $39.99 price makes the kit a questionable value for all but picture quality perfectionists.

SleazyC said:
Probably want to give the Xploder disc a try but it doesn't work with everything.
While, Xploder is an option I rather not be playing the swap game and as far as I'm aware it doesn't work for all games, which kinda hurts it's prospects. Am I wrong? Also, I need VGA.

SleazyC said:
Other then that sounds like you are asking for an external hardware scaler and those usually cost a couple thousand dollars.
??? The few options I linked to that I came across in my searches are all around ~50-60 dollars. Are they that cheap because they're just utter scam garbage?

EDIT:: I'm a slow typist. Sorry.

Rengoku

One of the best out there is the XRGB-3 from Micomsoft, it does an excellent job scaling 480i video. It goes for around $280 so I guess its out of your budget.

SleazyC

Mefisutoferesu said:
While, Xploder is an option I rather not be playing the swap game and as far as I'm aware it doesn't work for all games, which kinda hurts it's prospects. Am I wrong? Also, I need VGA.

??? The few options I linked to that I came across in my searches are all around ~50-60 dollars. Are they that cheap because they're just utter scam garbage?

EDIT:: I'm a slow typist. Sorry.
Not sure as I am not too well versed in hardware scalers but from what I have gathered it seems that the more you pay the better results you get. Even then I don't think you have any scalers that don't introduce a varying amount of lag.

Rengoku said:
One of the best out there is the XRGB-3 from Micomsoft, it does an excellent job scaling 480i video. It goes for around $280 so I guess its out of your budget.
*gulp* Yeah, just a tad.

SleazyC said:
Not sure as I am not too well versed in hardware scalers but from what I have gathered it seems that the more you pay the better results you get. Even then I don't think you have any scalers that don't introduce a varying amount of lag.
Well, lag is inevitable it's just important that it's not too significant an amount. I imagine something like 100 ms is reasonable. Also, while I realize the more you spend the more you get I'm simply looking for the best product for my money, i.e. the best I can get for about 50 dollars, not the greatest and latest.

BlueTsunami said:
Wouldn't he need a VGA PS2 cable? How rare are those things?
From what I can see they're pretty rare. They're not too overly price though.

Also, came across another find just now, any knowledge on this device?
http://www.x2vga.com/

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Going by the other posts, I would say Xploder + A PS2 VGA cable should work fine. Though, I don't think Xploder has a wide range of resolutions to choose from...so you may end up not being able to use a resolution that is native to your LCD.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Sooo, my SDTV is officially driving me off the deep end. The image is near pitch black unless I max the bright and regardless of the setting .

What is the brand? On most Sony sets you could easily fix that by adjusting the value UBOF (User Black level Offset?)in the service mode.

Firestorm

You could always go the GameBridge + SVideo route. It still doesn't look quite as good as it does on a TV, but if it's only temporary you might like it. However, it runs games at 30 fps max. So not good for fighting games or racing games. Fine for RPGs.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4114700&postcount=951

There are some screenies. Check out the gigantic thread on CheapAssGamer on it as well. It should be $10 - $20 at Fry's or www.outpost.com

The VGA adapter is being made again and it works very well with the HDTV Xploder disk.

VGA Adapter:
http://www.xploder.net/products/161/Xploder-VGA-Adaptor-for-PS2-.htm

PS2 HDTV Xploder:
(FYI: It comes with component cables)
But do keep in mind that it does not work with all games.
http://www.xploder.net/products/148/Xploder-HDTV-Player.htm

If your brightness/black level/gamma on your TV is the main problem and you don't want to get into the service menu there is one solution you might try. Get an old video game enhancer box like this one. http://www.amazon.com/VGE-Video-Game-Enhancer/dp/B00005QEG7

MidgarBlowedUp said:
What is the brand? On most Sony sets you could easily fix that by adjusting the value UBOF (User Black level Offset?)in the service mode.
A panasonic, and while I appreciate the attempt, it's far beyond salvation. While the black level may/not be adjustable increasing the bright levels only exacerbates the clarity issues. I wasn't joking about the double vision. In RPGs I check my health by whether it's white, yellow, or red. There are no readable numbers.

You could always go the GameBridge + SVideo route. It still doesn't look quite as good as it does on a TV, but if it's only temporary you might like it. However, it runs games at 30 fps max. So not good for fighting games or racing games. Fine for RPGs.
Tekken, DMC, GoW, and many others go out the window then. It seems nice, but I think I'll have to pass on that. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
The VGA adapter is being made again and it works very well with the HDTV Xploder disk.

VGA Adapter:
http://www.xploder.net/products/161/Xploder-VGA-Adaptor-for-PS2-.htm

PS2 HDTV Xploder:
(FYI: It comes with component cables)
But do keep in mind that it does not work with all games.
http://www.xploder.net/products/148/Xploder-HDTV-Player.htm

If your brightness/black level/gamma on your TV is the main problem and you don't want to get into the service menu there is one solution you might try. Get an old video game enhancer box like this one. http://www.amazon.com/VGE-Video-Game-Enhancer/dp/B00005QEG7
Yeah, several have already mentioned this method, which seems rather well done, but to be honest I just can't stand the thought swapping the disc in and out constantly. I know, I know, "beggars can't be choosers," but it's just rather ineloquent solution, IMO.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Have people tried any other VGA alternatives besides xploder? Because I'd be interested in a VGA cable for the PS2 without the software swapping hassle, but outside of that all I can find is the official one that comes with the Linux Kit...

BlueTsunami

If you've softmodded your PS2, I've heard that you can acquire the .Elf (PS2 executable) of Xploader and use it that way (without needing to preload the disk). How you go about this (legally or not) is up to you! :lol

BlueTsunami said:
If you've softmodded your PS2, I've heard that you can acquire the .Elf (PS2 executable) of Xploader and use it that way (without needing to preload the disk). How you go about this (legally or not) is up to you! :lol

I was wondering if anyone like ps2 scene had gotton hold of this and maybe altered it to make it work better. time for some googling.

icecream said:
Have people tried any other VGA alternatives besides xploder? Because I'd be interested in a VGA cable for the PS2 without the software swapping hassle, but outside of that all I can find is the official one that comes with the Linux Kit...

There is always a transcoder like the Vdigi 3

BlueTsunami

MidgarBlowedUp said:
I was wondering if anyone like ps2 scene had gotton hold of this and maybe altered it to make it work better. time for some googling.

My problem with it is that you can either use Xploder or HDloader not both at once (both elf files, without the disk). I want to use both of them without having to worry about disks.

BlueTsunami said:
O rl...
BlueTsunami said:
My problem with it is that you can either use Xploder or HDloader not both at once (both elf files, without the disk). I want to use both of them without having to worry about disks.
...oh.

Well, at least I can play my US games... imports would be another matter. Still 60 ucks only to have half my content work is kinda unappealing. Man, there's always something that bites you in the bum.

There is always a transcoder like the Vdigi 3
Yep, but just remember, icecream, vdigi doesn't support 480i in, so progressive only.

Top Bottom