• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 with 100GB Blu-ray?

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/11374.cfm

PS3 with 100GB possible?
(Of course... no one outside of Squeenix could possibly fill up a disc that large...)

=====
Hitachi introduces quad-layer 100 GB Blu-ray Disc

5 October 2007 12:53 by DVDBack23
Hitachi introduces quad-layer 100 GB Blu-ray DiscThis week at the CEATEC JAPAN 2007 event, Hitachi announced that they had successfully created a quad layer Blu-ray disc that can store up to 100 GB of data.

To sweeten the pot even more, Hitachi says the discs are compatible with existing Blu-ray players and drives after an easy firmware update.

Hitachi says they are now working on "improving the signal quality of its quad-layer technology" so that it can be ready to hit the market soon. The company also boasted that they were working on a eight-layer Blu-ray disc capable of storing 200GB of data.

What is left to be pondered is how expensive these discs will cost to manufacture. Movie studios may just opt to release their titles over two standard Blu-ray discs than invest in new expensive equipment necessary for these larger capacity discs.

This is not the first time recently that we have heard of improved capacity on optical media. In March, New Medium Enterprises developed a four-layer DVD it called the Versatile Multilayer Disc (VMD) that is capable of storing 20GB of data, double the current DVD-9.

HD DVD is also in the process of approving a new triple-layer disc capable of storing 51 GB of data, one GB more than current Blu-ray discs.

Should be interesting to see how these technologies continue to improve as well as manufacturing costs.

Source:
Dailytech

traveler

Not Wario
Quagm1r3 said:
So this is the 2nd thread today about a PS3 with a new amount of gigs? Give it a fucking rest sony!

This isn't about the hard drive; it's about the disc itself.

Raistlin

Once (or should I say, if) fabbing gets into the grove ... it should be cheaper than having separate discs.

That said, only some movies would really need this (lots of extras, etc) ... and I doubt more than a handful of games would ever need more than 50GB.

This however WILL be VERY important for PC's. HD DVD has always been losing on the data front ... if this happens, its the end for them. That in-and-of-itself could have ramifications for the format war, even if movies themselves don't need it. Its all about userbase. It's the PS3 effect, but in the PC world.

Onix said:
Once (or should I say, if) fabbing gets into the grove ... it should be cheaper than having separate discs.

That said, only some movies would really need this (lots of extras, etc) ... and I doubt more than a handful of games would ever need more than 50GB.

This however WILL be VERY important for PC's. HD DVD has always been losing on the data front ... if this happens, its the end for them. That in-and-of-itself could have ramifications for the format war, even if movies themselves don't need it. Its all about userbase. It's the PS3 effect, but in the PC world.

QFT.

If I could backup my entire hard disk onto a single Blu-ray disc I'd be happy as Pecan Pie.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Wow, how awesome. 5 minute loading time, here we come. The more space devs have, the more sloppy they are with coding and the less efficient the material is.

Onix said:

Bundling high quality films with games, similar to Stranglehold is an nice option that quad layer disks bring.

dfyb

Banned
Orlics said:
Do people really use optical media to back things up? You can get 500 gb external HDDs for $100 now.
i've had too many fucking hard drives die on me. fuck hard drives. fuck moving parts. it will be a beautiful day when flash based memory is affordable for large storage.

dfyb said:
i've had too many fucking hard drives die on me. fuck hard drives. fuck moving parts. it will be a beautiful day when flash based memory is affordable for large storage.

Not gonna happen for along time. Altho I believe samsung just released a 32GB laptop with hybrid flash/hard drive.

Linkzg said:
please Kojima, all Metal Gear games on one Bluray, do it.

DO WANT! Or to put it more coherently; that, sir, is an excellent proposal and if it ever comes to fruition I would definitely purchase such a compilation.

womfalcs3

Banned
There's another thread about the Hitachi 100-GB BD and how it won't require a hardware modification.

This isn't new. TDK has a 200-GB BD (with I believe a horrible bit rate due to the 8 layers). What's critical here is the fact you won't need a hardware change on the older BD drive models.

Z3F

Banned
Onix said:

PC has always been slow in adopting new optical media. It wasn't until 2 yrs ago that more games started coming out on DVDs instead of CDs.

Raistlin

Orlics said:
Do people really use optical media to back things up? You can get 500 gb external HDDs for $100 now.

Businesses use non-HD backups all the time. Generally its with tape, but HD media is starting to catch on.

Raistlin

Z3F said:
PC has always been slow in adopting new optical media. It wasn't until 2 yrs ago that more games started coming out on DVDs instead of CDs.

I'm not talking about for games, I'm talking about data storage.

MoxManiac

laesperanzapaz said:
Not gonna happen for along time. Altho I believe samsung just released a 32GB laptop with hybrid flash/hard drive.

That's actually a cool idea. Have enough flash memory to run the OS off it, then use the hard drive for the rest. That way if the HDD dies you could still run the OD, plus it'd be fassssst.

How much space does a standard install of Vista require?

Ashhong

Quagm1r3 said:
So this is the 2nd thread today about a PS3 with a new amount of gigs? Give it a fucking rest sony!

LMAO i hope this is a joke post, otherwise you are a fucking idiot. It isnt even Sony. I dont even see Sony in the whole article! :lol

xsarien

daedsiluap
wormstrangler said:
So you'd rather have ~ 380 DVD's floating around compared to ~ 6 external 500GB drives?

When the alternative "What's that sound coming from the drive enclos---FUCK ME!", yes.

Top Bottom