• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 5.50 has released

bitbydeath

Image and video examples within the link.

Custom wallpapers from USB
One major feature that was included with the 5.50 update beta trial was the ability to customise the PS4 home screen with your own images from a USB stick.
To get started, save your pictures into a folder named “IMAGES” on your USB stick. Ensure this folder is at the top of the USB directory, i.e. not saved within another folder. Note the max image resolution is 1920×1080 for PS4 and 3840×2160 for PS4 Pro.
Then with the USB stick connected to your PS4, select Settings > Themes > Select Theme > Custom > Select Image > USB Storage Device. Once your image is selected you can zoom and crop it, all while seeing in real time how it looks on the home screen.
You can also customise the thumbnail of group message threads with images taken from USB. Select Messages > Select Message > Group Settings >Image> Change Image> USB Storage Device

Play Time Management
Another major update is Play Time Management. This feature gives Family Managers (and adult family members set as Guardians), the ability to control when and for how long each individual child can play for. Playtime can even be set to vary depending on the day of the week, for example you could allow your child to play for two hours between 4-7pm during the week and then for 4 hours between 8am-8pm on the weekend.
This joins a long list of parental management features already available, including the ability to individually set what each child in your family on PlayStation Network (PSN) plays, watches and accesses online. All these features can be accessed on your PS4 via Settings > Family Management.
What’s more, you can also monitor and change these settings on the go from your PC or Smartphone via the PSN account web portal – giving parents greater flexibility and peace of mind.

Library improvements
New tabs and filters are also being added to the Library, to make it easier to organise and find content.
New “This PS4” and “Name/Avatar” tabs allow you to split content between everything you own and what’s currently installed on your PS4.
There is now a dedicated PS Plus tab too showing all Monthly Free Games you have access to, along with the ability to hide certain apps under the “Purchased” tab – such as old trials or demos of games.

Quick Menu enhancements
The Quick Menu is also getting some UI enhancements. You’ll shortly be able to access the custom friends drop down list directly from it, making it easier to see who’s online and send them messages or invitations.
Furthermore, if you’re using Spotify on PlayStation Music, the ‘square’ button will now serve as the shortcut for volume control. And when you’re on the Media Player or the USB Music Player, ‘triangle’ will work as the shortcut for play or pause, and the ‘square’ button as the volume control.

Notification management
You can now permanently remove old notifications from your PS4 – to help you keep on top of game invites, status of downloads etc. Just go to Notifications and press the ‘triangle’ or “OPTIONS” button to open up a menu that will allow you to select a single or multiple notifications you’d like to delete.

Tournament page improvements
In addition to being able to import your pictures from USB to use as your Team Logo or tournament page background, some further UI improvements are coming too. For example, with 5.50 you can now schedule events directly from the tournament page, and more easily filter between Team vs Team and 1v1 events.
As a reminder to set your tournament team logo and background, head over to Events > Teams > select your team > Edit Team Profile.PS VR Support Icon

PS VR Support Icon
Never miss out on an opportunity to augment your experience with PlayStation VR. After this update, a PS VR icon will be shown next to all content on your dashboard and library which support the headset.

Supersampling Mode for PS4 Pro
The system level optional mode gives more control to the player, helping them further benefit from the power of PS4 Pro, even if they don’t have a 4K TV.
Once enabled, all games output at a higher resolution, which for many PS4 Pro enhanced titles is above 1080p, and up to 2160p. Then, with up to 4x the amount of visual and colour information to work with, the PS4 Pro is able to deliver a more refined image when downscaling to HD.
As a result some games will receive a clarity boost, feature sharper details and benefit from a reduction in jagged edges on objects. Performance will vary by title, as games are optimised differently for PS4 Pro.
To enable supersampling select Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings > Supersampling Mode.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...-system-software-update-5-50-launching-today/

Last edited:

llien

Play Time Management
We’re introducing Play Time Management, which will allow family managers (and adult family members who are set as guardians) to manage PS4 playtime for child family members on family on PSN. Managing Playtime is easy; go to Settings > Family Management on your PS4, or log into your PlayStation account on your web browser from your PC or smartphone, to check and manage your child’s playtime each day. If needed, the family manager/guardians can apply playtime restrictions to make sure that the child is only playing for a set amount of time or within set playable hours. Notifications on PS4 will be sent to the child during gameplay so that he or she knows when they should save and quit. The family managers/guardians also have the option to add extra game time via their smartphone or PC. In addition, the family manager/guardians can choose whether or not to automatically log the child out of their PS4 once their playtime is over.

Library UI Updates
‘This PS4’ and Name/Avatar tab
Two new tabs are being added to Library to make it easier for you to see which apps you’ve installed and purchased. The ‘This PS4’ tab lists all the applications that are installed on the PS4 system, and the tab with your name/avatar lists all the apps that you purchased with your PSN ID. This feature also makes it easy to search and find games you’ve already purchased but have not yet installed.

PS Plus tab
This update also adds a new PS Plus tab to the Library, which clarifies what games you own from PS Plus’ Monthly Free Games. If your PS Plus membership is expired, a PS Plus icon with a lock will appear next to your game so you’ll know you cannot play the game until you’ve re-subscribed.

Hide apps
We’re adding a function that will allow you to hide certain applications under the ‘Purchased’ tab in the Library. In ‘Options,’ you can hide content including betas, trials or demos of games that you probably won’t be going back to.

Quick Menu Enhancements
If you ever want to quickly access specific friends in your custom list, you’ll be able to do so via the pulldown menu under the Friends tab in Quick Menu. You can also see who’s currently online.

Whenever you’re listening to music on PS4, you’ll be able to access certain shortcuts from the Quick Menu. If you’re using Spotify on PlayStation Music, the ‘square’ button will serve as the shortcut for volume control. And when you’re on the Media Player or the USB Music Player, ‘triangle’ will work as the shortcut for play or pause, and the ‘square’ button as the volume control.

Background Music on PS Now
With Background Music on PlayStation Now, you’ll be able to listen to your favorite tracks while streaming a game on PS Now. Just keep in mind that, similar to when playing a game locally on PS4, background music may not always be available.

Notifications Update
This update will give you the ability to delete old notifications for better organization and management. Just go to Notifications and press the ‘triangle’ or ‘Options’ button to open up a menu that will allow you to select a single or multiple notifications you’d like to delete.

Import Custom Wallpapers via USB
Love customizing your PS4 Home Screen? Well, this new update will give you even more options. You can import your own images to PS4 from a USB stick and set it as your wallpaper. You can also zoom and crop your images so they look perfect on your dashboard. Just go to Settings > Themes > Select Theme > Custom > Select Image > USB Storage Device.

Customize Tournaments Team Pages
Following the 5.50 update, you’ll be able to customize your Tournaments team page with your own team logo or background that you can import from a USB stick. Represent your team by customizing your team page with something unique and original! To set your logo and background, head over to Events > Teams > select your team > Edit Team Profile.

Supersampling Mode on PS4 Pro
PS4 Pro users will see a new ‘supersampling mode’ under Settings, which enables those with HDTVs (i.e., 1080p or less) to enjoy an enhanced visual experience when playing some PS4 games. With supersampling mode, games that render to a higher resolution when connected to a 4K TV will downscale to match the HDTV – allowing PS4 Pro owners to leverage the benefits of an image clarity boost even if they don’t own a 4K TV. Certain games already have ‘supersampling’ benefits as part of their ‘PS4 Pro Enhanced’ feature set, but this new mode can enhance the experience for those games that don’t already have the feature. Because PS4 Pro’s added power and modes benefit different games in different ways, please note that certain games’ image clarity may not improve with this new feature.

playstation blog

Dat Pro Supersampling
HaX2FQf.png

INC

Having the beta for a while, the supersampling doesnt seem to make that much of difference

I'd rather native 1440p support for my gaming monitor

Last edited:

ptuck874

idk if my controller is starting to act funny or the game or the beta, but it has been "feeling" off some and some rubber band stuff going on, could be the cod game itself though, but never had any problems before I went into the beta

nowhat

Personally I've little use for any of these (apart from hiding demos from my library), but thumbs up for the supersampling support for those that benefit from it.

However, I just noticed one thing. PSVR-compatible titles have a "PS VR" icon under the name in the main menu. This includes also Media Player - does this mean it'll support 360 video now? I'd test it myself (still have a PSVR to play around for a while) but I've no video to feed it.

Last edited:

RVIDXR

Welp, here's to another 6 month wait for actual features. Thought they would sneak a few more in.

Dubloon7

Banned
STILL no PS1 and PS2 BC?! FFS Arrogant Sony

I've been on the Beta for a couple of weeks and immediately altered my library and other lists. Cleaned everything up. Hid every single game I disliked, every game I played and will never touch again, and every single PS+ IGC

Last edited:

nowhat

Im downloading it and will install it when im back home next week how is it performance wise ??
When has a PS4 firmware update really affected performance in one way or another? Honest question - I got my PS4 in March 2014, and I can't say I've ever noticed this happening.

What new firmwares bring is more stability ;)

MrBenchmark

If you’re on a 4k tv and want bloodbourne to supersample will setting the PS4 Pro to 1080p manually force this?

Edit never mind read more closely it isn’t like the super sampling on Xbox one x that’s shitty!

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Library UI updates in 5.50 have been awesome in the beta, definitely the kind of QoL improvements that it's needed for a while now.

nowhat

If you’re on a 4k tv and want bloodbourne to supersample will setting the PS4 Pro to 1080p manually force this?
It sounds like you don't understand what it does. If a Pro-patched game runs at a resolution that's higher than 1080p, it will be supersampled (think better anti-alias) when viewed on a 1080p display. It will not make any difference when using a 4K display. And as Bloodborne doesn't have a Pro patch, and runs 1080p, supersampling won't make any difference, it is not applied no matter your display resolution.

MrBenchmark

It sounds like you don't understand what it does. If a Pro-patched game runs at a resolution that's higher than 1080p, it will be supersampled (think better anti-alias) when viewed on a 1080p display. It will not make any difference when using a 4K display. And as Bloodborne doesn't have a Pro patch, and runs 1080p, supersampling won't make any difference, it is not applied no matter your display resolution.
I do and was hoping for better. I added an edit within a minute of my original post.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

When has a PS4 firmware update really affected performance in one way or another? Honest question - I got my PS4 in March 2014, and I can't say I've ever noticed this happening.

What new firmwares bring is more stability ;)
Look at the change logs of the major firmware releases ;)
Some of them have performace gains and some of them performance issues

nowhat

I do and was hoping for better. I added an edit within a minute of my original post.
So please do elaborate - how does this differ from what X offers? Bloodborne outputs at 1080p, in what way could supersampling help there?

Last edited:

nowhat

Look at the change logs of the major firmware releases ;)
Oh sure, there are mentions of performance gains every now and then (and stability!). Just that at least on a personal level I've never noticed it, and of those that have, I wonder how many have actually measured it or just go by gut feel (very likely placebo effect).

BANGS

Banned
While none of these are anything amazing or game changing, pretty much all of them are welcome and useful. I'm happy with this...

DonJimbo

You really love this stability thingy ;)
Yeah im very sensitive that i notice the lags and slow down on the system when i play games on my console

cool, looking forward to trying out the supersampling ^^ i think most of the games i play regularly have pro patches but there's a few i'm curious to see it on.

BarrettW

Neo Member
Pleasantly surprised by super-sampling, didn't expect to notice much of a difference but the Injustice 2 character models look noticeably nicer

ReBurn

Gold Member
Why? 5.5 looks great
I thought 5.50 bricked my console and I was wishing the same thing. After it restarted to install the screen went blank. It restarted a couple of times and then it just sat there with a blank screen. I started looking online and lots of people had that problem. After about an hour of research with no luck I turned on the controller and started pushing buttons. The console powered down to rest mode and when I started it back up it worked. I was so relieved.

Dubloon7

Banned
was so mad last night. started up remote play and had to sit around and browse the internet for 40 minutes for the 0.5GB to download from their crap servers. awful.

i was beta tester so not sure why this was 0.5GB and took so long to download when nothing changed from the beta

I took some screenshots of DW9 with it off and on, reloading the app a few times from the same save points, to get really good comparisons. And I could notice a a touch of a difference. Enough I think I'll leave it on. I did kinda also feel the framerate hurt even more though... (and the warning did say it could adversely affect the framerate), but I couldn't be sure because the DW9 framerate is terrible and I find it harder to notice a difference on a game that's usually around 25ish than 30ish ;/

Top Bottom