• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 3d audio on sounds like shit

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Edit: Strictly about the use of wireless headphones.

I've been using my old and new Sony Gold's and noticed there is a huge heavy handed compression or algorithmic distortion when 3d audio is on. Games that sounded crisp and accurate before (overwatch) sound like shit with that feature on and maybe LESS accurate. It drove me insane how terrible it made acv sound as well.
Has sony mentioned that it will fix it? I tried my rig headphones and it was the same issue.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I've been using my old and new Sony Gold's and noticed there is a huge heavy handed compression or algorithmic distortion when 3d audio is on. Games that sounded crisp and accurate before (overwatch) sound like shit with that feature on and maybe LESS accurate. It drove me insane how terrible it made acv sound as well.
Has sony mentioned that it will fix it? I tried my rig headphones and it was the same issue.

Did you try twaeking the profile? I had to set it to +1 for it to sound correct to me, ie not floating 6 inches above my ears. These things will always affect the audio in that way afaik, if you are sensitive to that I'd say just turn it off.

I found it sounded pretty nice on my WH-1000XM3, positional audio wise, but that "tinny" aspect is still there for me and I don't like it overall.

Blond

Banned
Can’t say I feel the same, I use my m40x and playing Call of Duty with the 3D emulation feels like cheating. However they did it I applaud them because it’s something else.

That being said, Sony gaming headsets have always been trash so making trash headphones sound even more trash. The only reason I like my gold headphones is because when Sears was getting rid of all their gaming stuff a few years ago I got mine for 7 dollars brand new.

ItsTheNew

Did you try twaeking the profile?
But that "tinny" aspect is still there for me and I don't like it overall.
I tried tweaking it, but frankly anything outside of the default level just exasperates the issue of the tinny/dulling effect.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I know it sounds stupid but the lack of Dolby Atmos/DTS-X on the PS5 was the primary reason I chose a Series X as my first next-gen purchase this time around (I didn't have my first Xbone until Sept 2019). I will probably get a PS5 in a couple of years once a price drop happens (if it happens) but I liked the thought of having a gaming console that also played physical movies (Blu Ray, UHD) with support for audio the way they were intended. Dolby Vision is an added bonus.

I know there will be people that will probably have a bit of a chuckle but honestly, streaming services like Disney and Netflix are no where near as good as physical media when it comes to quality.

That said, I really wish I had Demon's Souls and Astros Playroom to experience instead of no exclusives.

Last edited:
Did you try twaeking the profile? I had to set it to +1 for it to sound correct to me, ie not floating 6 inches above my ears. These things will always affect the audio in that way afaik, if you are sensitive to that I'd say just turn it off.

I found it sounded pretty nice on my WH-1000XM3, positional audio wise, but that "tinny" aspect is still there for me and I don't like it overall.

How do you tweak the profile?

Kuranghi

How do you tweak the profile?
Does that help?:

20201103133456.jpg

Does that help?:

20201103133456.jpg

What is this +1 stuff you were talking about? Was that in relation to the positioning of the audio? When you were talking about tweaking the profile I thought it was like on a 3D Pulse app similar to the Headset Companion app for the Sony Gold's.

Kuranghi

What is this +1 stuff you were talking about? Was that in relation to the positioning of the audio? When you were talking about tweaking the profile I thought it was like on a 3D Pulse app similar to the Headset Companion app for the Sony Gold's.

Within that profile page is this page:

how-to-enable-3d-audio-on-ps5-guide-3.original.jpg

I got mixed up saying +1, its "Type X", but they say it changes the height of the audio, so I thought it was +2, +1, 0, -1 and -2. Sorry for the mixup.

Within that profile page is this page:

how-to-enable-3d-audio-on-ps5-guide-3.original.jpg

I got mixed up saying +1, its "Type X", but they say it changes the height of the audio, so I thought it was +2, +1, 0, -1 and -2. Sorry for the mixup.

Ayy very cool. I think it still needs a companion app for custom equalizers and profiles but this is cool.

Madjako

To get the best effect you need to be hooked to your dualsense or connected by Bluetooth??
Sorry for that question but I didn't dig this subject.
Gotta try 3d effects with my Sony headphones.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Could be that your ears are just broken.

No, but maybe you just don't fall within any of the presets, which would make it sound unnatural.

FrankWza

The best I’ve found 3d audio to sound is using a usb to spdif to optical to amp. It’s the least compressed. I’m thinking it’s the usb needing to handle both audio and mic over one port that causes the issue. When you bypass and use the spdif you need to use your other port to use mic. Also sounds good using one port and a usb 2.0 hub for some reason. Might be why uac 2 doesn’t work.

Lister

Banned
I know it sounds stupid but the lack of Dolby Atmos/DTS-X on the PS5 was the primary reason I chose a Series X as my first next-gen purchase this time around (I didn't have my first Xbone until Sept 2019). I will probably get a PS5 in a couple of years once a price drop happens (if it happens) but I liked the thought of having a gaming console that also played physical movies (Blu Ray, UHD) with support for audio the way they were intended. Dolby Vision is an added bonus.

I know there will be people that will probably have a bit of a chuckle but honestly, streaming services like Disney and Netflix are no where near as good as physical media when it comes to quality.

That said, I really wish I had Demon's Souls and Astros Playroom to experience instead of no exclusives.

It's been pretty cool on PC as well. Dolby Atmos on supporting games is superb with my Sennheiser's.

Last edited:

Reallink

The 3D audio likely functions by altering the frequency/transitory responses and channel mixes. For critical and discerning listeners this should introduce a more muffled tonality that's akin to a lower quality audio file. If i'm not mistaken, DTS-X Headphone has Equalization for select/specific headphone models that attempts to corrects for its tonal fuckery.

Last edited:

I'm assuming you can still play Dolby Atmos content on PS5 anyway, assuming you're using a receiver? Isn't it the receiver that does the processing not the console? I thought it was games the PS5 doesn't support.

On topic of headphones - turn off any shitty spacial audio or post processing, all it's doing is messing with the original audio source which usually makes things sound 'tinny'.

Last edited:
3D spatial audio, binaural, etc through music, videogame software, device's audio engine (DACs included, etc) only worth it when using IEMs that have decent imagining and soundstage, and high-end earbuds. 3D audio is worthless with headphones in general. If you want credible 3D and spatial experience with headphones, just use a headphone that is pretty well known to offer massive soundstage by default like HD800, the new PCX headphones, and some other open- back headphones, and any 3D audio software turned off.

So, to summarize it for you. IEMS and earbuds>>>>> headphones, at the hour of using 3D audio features; headphones>>>>IEMS and earbuds, without 3D audio features enabled.

You are mistaken. The PS5 supports Dolby Atmos in Blu-ray movies, just not in games.

kikii

ItsTheNew

To everyone telling me the Gold's suck - thank you for the opinion, but I'm talking about how this setting turned ON makes them sound worse than the ps4 made them sound.
I've tried some rigs as well, same issue.

FrankWza

To everyone telling me the Gold's suck - thank you for the opinion, but I'm talking about how this setting turned ON makes them sound worse than the ps4 made them sound.
I've tried some rigs as well, same issue.
If it’s a game that wasn’t designed around tempest then yes, it may sound worse. But a game like DeS should sound better. No matter the quality of headset. Do the golds have a vss switch? If they do then try turning it off. Could be double processing

PSYGN

I had to turn mine off on Apex it was disorienting and I couldn't accurately gauge the distance of the enemies.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
You are mistaken. The PS5 supports Dolby Atmos in Blu-ray movies, just not in games.

If I am mistaken then it's because of Sony's poor PS5 spec sheet pre release because I scoured that with a fine tooth comb looks Ng for any mention of Dolby.

THEAP99

Banned
yeah the 3d audio sounds like absolute muffled garbage. i've had it off since launch week. biggest disappointment of the console

Top Bottom