• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: If you're on Steam, disable/avoid 2K Launcher

I've known this for a bit ever since 2K decided to patch most of their games with a "quality of life" update, meaning, all their games now come with a malware called 2K Launcher but I didnt realize it was a pretty big issue.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/no...ble-the-2k-launcher-for-marvels-midnight-suns

To be precise, here are my benchmark recordings from the tutorial mission. I was running Marvel’s Midnight Suns on my personal PC, with its Core i9-10900K, RTX 3090 and 32GB of DDR4, at 2560x1440 with the Epic quality preset and all ray tracing options switched on. First, the initial, stuttery run with the 2K Launcher enabled by default:

• Average framerate: 90fps
  • Minimum framerate: 46fps
  • Maximum framerate: 111fps
  • 1% low framerate: 20fps
  • 0.1% low framerate: 4fps
Now here’s how it ran with the 2K Launcher disabled. Note the massive average FPS boost, with higher minimums across the board:

• Average framerate: 146fps
  • Minimum framerate: 66fps
  • Maximum framerate: 190fps
  • 1% low framerate: 69fps
  • 0.1% low framerate: 18fps

If you have any of their games installed like the Bioshock series, Xcom, midnight suns or whatever else with 2K launcher, follow the guide in the link above. I made the thread because theres also a humble bundle with their stuff right now. The guide works for all the 2k launcher games. As always, consumers get fucked, pirates win.

hlSoiTq.png

Last edited:

amigastar

I'm currently playing Midnight Suns and i have disabled the 2K Launcher. But has XCom 2 the same issues with the launcher?

Bragr

Banned
You can't start a game without some anti-cheat or launcher bullshit getting shoved up your ass these days.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Fuz
But has XCom 2 the same issues with the launcher?

Dont have it installed. Prolly best to avoid it completely. I only have the Bioshock games installed cuz I want to replay them but a lot of steam users pointed out the games crash/have issues if you run them with the launcher.

GymWolf

Dont have it installed. Prolly best to avoid it completely. I only have the Bioshock games installed cuz I want to replay them but a lot of steam users pointed out the games crash/have issues if you run them with the launcher.
They were all free with a bundle in the epic store some time ago.

amigastar

I'm asking because i have mods installed for XCom 2 and i don't know how to launch them without 2K Launcher.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Had this pop up when I played The Quarry a few months ago. Disabled it and got a better frame rate - so yeah, do that.

I'm asking because i have mods installed for XCom 2 and i don't know how to launch them without 2K Launcher.

Afaik, the 2k launcher for xcom 2 has the same issues. There is a mod launcher but you're prolly gonna have to look it up on steam forums. I havent been keeping up to date with the game.

J3nga

I bought The Quarry on sale and ended up refunding because the game wouldn't start. Keep shooting yourself in the foot, 2K.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Holy shit I didn’t realize what a cancer that launched was. A 62% performance boost and elimination of stutter in Midnight Suns??!!

2K can get fucked.

Top Bottom