• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2: Hands down, best engineers in the World: Japanese - I am so impressed with PSVR2

CamHostage

I wouldn't say it either... mostly I wouldn't because, much like the PSVR1 and a lot of PS OS/dev tools, I believe the PSVR2 hardware and interface was engineered in large part by the SIE Europe office?
Blasphemy.

And yet, mostly true [though I'm not 100% sure if the PSVR2 is coming from the same lab system I'm about to mention...]

Sony's European studio group has been vital behind the scenes from the early days of PlayStation (a sister studio of Psygnosis was one of two European studios who made development software which went on to become the official PS1 dev kit, and Sony's acquisition of Psygnosis was likely of interest of its backend experience in addition to or as much as the games they ended up making.) Those European offices have been a leading incubator for PlayStation peripherals. EyeToy, Wonderbook, PlayStation Move, PSVR1, stuff like that came from European design groups, not Japanese (even though you'd think, "Sony, Camera, PlayStation... Japanese-made.") The rest of the Sony offices of course collaborated with SCE/SIE Europe to create a marketable product, and many components inside the hardware are from Japanese manufacturers (although less so as other countries have gained traction in tech), but some of the most "Japanese" ideas of Sony PlayStation were conceived of or incubated in Europe.

I'm not entirely sure if that structure still exists the same way for PS5 and its VR system, but I believe that's still the case? (These aspects of behind-the-scenes tech development don't get out too often since hardware doesn't have credits, and while Sony Europe used to be a vocal proponent of its contributions to the global PlayStation business, you unfortunately don't hear from them much anymore, especially since its software output isn't as hot as it once was.) As far as I know and have read, the organizational situation still stands that PSVR2 is rooted in European prototype development, not Japanese.

(It's one of the reasons BTW that the flagship PSVR2 original title is Horizon CotM, a SIE Europe production.)

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
And yet, mostly true, though I'm not 100% sure if the PSVR2 is coming from the same lab system.

Sony's European studio group has been vital behind the scenes from the early days of PlayStation (a sister studio of Psygnosis was one of two European studios who made development software which went on to become the official PS1 dev kit, and Sony's acquisition of Psygnosis was likely of interest of its backend experience in addition to or as much as the games they ended up making,) and those offices are a leading incubator for PlayStation peripherals. EyeToy, Wonderbook, PlayStation Move, PSVR1, stuff like that came from European design groups, not Japanese (even though you'd think, "Sony, Camera, PlayStation... Japanese-made.") The rest of the Sony offices of course collaborated with SCE/SIE Europe to create a marketable product, and many components inside the hardware are from Japanese manufacturers (although less so as other countries have gained traction in tech), but some of the most "Japanese" ideas of Sony PlayStation were conceived of or incubated in Europe.

I'm not entirely sure if that structure still exists the same way for PS5 and its VR system (these aspects of behind-the-scenes tech development don't get out too often since hardware doesn't have credits, and while Sony Europe used to be a vocal proponent of its contributions to the global PlayStation business, you unfortunately don't hear from them much anymore, especially since its software output isn't as hot as it once was.) However, I believe the organizational situation still stands that PSVR2 is rooted in European prototype development, not Japanese. (It makes sense that the flagship PSVR2 title is Horizon CotM, a SIE Europe production, with the GT7 VR mod following that one up.)
I can’t say I have any knowledge on the topic so I will take your word for it.

What’s the image like inside, a more soft PS4 game or more sharp like a PS5 game?

PSVR1 had PS3 like image quality imo.

Also any users with glasses?, has it improved over the original? Many thanks.

Brock2621

There you go bud 👍
Thank you sir!

willothedog

It's just a quest port machine and no sign of any first party VR only games. We got one, 'call of the climb', which has really bad reprojection issues and is a bit shit.

You have to turn the brightness was down to combat mura which ruins HDR and the rotational reprojection algo is awful.

Mine went back before my 30 days was up, spent some good Turkish lira on a bunch of games too :(

Crayon

Sadly most vr games don't look like that and wont even come close with the majority having simple superhot like models and environments. For me personally those screenshots are a far cry from what I experience in vr and don't accurately portray a game in vr. Screendoor effect while better is still bad for me its like watching tv/playing games without my glasses on. Everything still has a "boxy" feel/look to them kinda similar to early 3d polygon models despite the increase in detail.

This is some real Green eggs and Ham shit.

Mahavastu

What’s the image like inside, a more soft PS4 game or more sharp like a PS5 game?

It looks better then PS4, when using the Eye tracking it gets close to PS5 quality.
What did surprised me as 1st time VR user was, that the resolution "feels" more like 1080p, because the 4K resolution is your full view, while on a TV it is much smaller. If you look close, in certain situations you can see also small black lines between the pixels.

It is MUCH better image quality compared to PSVR1. It is really playing in a different league, you can see it is a new and better gen.
Because of this eye tracking the PS5 with PSVR2 can punch above its weight. One dev said in his game (pavlov?) the PSVR2 had about the performance of a PC with a 3080 card, which is much faster then a PS5.
Anyway, IMHO it still does not reach the quality of a flatscreen PS5 game, because you need a higher framerate (you need atleast 60fps per eye, means for 60fps you calculate 120 frames per second)

Last edited:

Crayon

No idea about glasses.

The sharpness is a wide range. It'll never look like a 4k TV from the couch though. I would say if the psvr1 looked PS3-like then you would call this one PS4-like.

Last edited:
It is gaining share as people abandon the Q2 waiting for Q3:

Global-XR-market-share-for-Q1-2023-1-768x768.png

I'm not sure why Sony isn't taking advantage of this and announcing something to quickly take the lead in the market before the Q3 is launched. When's their next gaming event?

Well it's friday so the best time to decide is going to be 1 in the morning after you've been drinking for awhile.
Rofl exactly. What a hangover haha!

Na I’ve saved the cash was just looking for a time to pull the trigger. After hearing it hadn’t set the world of fire sales wise I was expecting a price cut of even £50.

I got the original PSVR for £250 with six games a couple of years after launch and although I enjoyed it but it was annoying because of the type of glasses I had at the time. Should be okay now as my glasses frames are much smaller.

I already have GT7 and not really played it much so that’s some good content, is the other must have Horizon?

Crayon

Rofl exactly. What a hangover haha!

Na I’ve saved the cash was just looking for a time to pull the trigger. After hearing it hadn’t set the world of fire sales wise I was expecting a price cut of even £50.

I got the original PSVR for £250 with six games a couple of years after launch and although I enjoyed it but it was annoying because of the type of glasses I had at the time. Should be okay now as my glasses frames are much smaller.

I already have GT7 and not really played it much so that’s some good content, is the other must have Horizon?

Nah, not horizon. It's great to show off the graphics and it's kinda fun but there are much much better games to spend your time on imo. RE8, Walking Dead, Pavlov, Demio, Synapse, etc. Check the thread for some recco's. GT and RE8 are equally good as graphical showcases to Horizon, anyhow.

Nah, not horizon. It's great to show off the graphics and it's kinda fun but there are much much better games to spend your time on imo. RE8, Walking Dead, Pavlov, Demio, Synapse, etc. Check the thread for some recco's. GT and RE8 are equally good as graphical showcases to Horizon, anyhow.
Oh I forgot about RE8!

Thanks for the help!

Ronin_7

Banned
I'm impressed with it as well. A hell of a piece of kit for the price.

I can't not rave about it enough, but GT7 has been a game changer when a racing game is built from the ground up around VR tech. A surreal experience which makes it hard to go back to flat screen racing. That app alone is well worth the purchase for me.
It's Phenomenal.

The only problem is that i can't play VR for much time before getting 🤢...

Red Matter 2 is phenomenal.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Great piece of hardware, but I sadly don't get to use it as often as I would like, cause I'm mainly a social gamer - and none of my friends have PSVR2.

Been playing a little Walking Dead S&S these days, but it's too damn hot and my face is sweating within 2 minutes. They need to put a cooler inside the headset lol. I'll buy Synapse in the fall when the temperatures are lower. VR will be a fall, winter, spring thing for me. 3-4 months every year I won't be able to enjoy VR cause of high temps.

hlm666

It is gaining share as people abandon the Q2 waiting for Q3:

Global-XR-market-share-for-Q1-2023-1-768x768.png

I'm not sure why Sony isn't taking advantage of this and announcing something to quickly take the lead in the market before the Q3 is launched. When's their next gaming event?
Not sure this is inspiring, reports were saying quest 2 sales had declined steeply since late last year and psvr2 couldn't take the crown from them in their launch period/quarter even when filtering the data down to the only q1 23. If they couldn't do it with the launch hype not sure what would help, what do you think they could release to quickly try boost sales before quest 3?

sono

Gold Member
Appreciating fine engineering is a noble act.

I don't have this headset but have read many similar comments to yours on the PSVR2 headset; so it seems the Sony engineers did a really great job on PS VR2!

Rac3r

I love mine, but I have to admit, it’s been about a month since I last played. Don’t get me wrong, the price/performance are outstanding, and there’s plenty of software for me (GT7 is plenty enough).

I’ve been so busy recently that just putting on the headset and making the minor adjustments is a bit of a turn off. When I only have an hour or so of free time, I’d rather just play a few quick matches of SF6 or something else in 2D.

There’s also the continued issues that plague VR in general. Comfortability, motion sickness, significant IQ drop off, etc. PSVR2 hasn’t really solved anything in that regard. It’s a fantastic product, but not an evolution of VR.

I still highly recommend it for people that are interested though. VR will always be an add on product until it achieves 1:1 clarity with 2D gaming, and the ease of use is comparable to putting on a pair of glasses. It’s not there yet.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It’s a good headset, but it’s still very lacking. I understand OP is blown away since the only other headset he had was the terrible Quest 1.

However, PSVR2 is the best headset currently on the market, but that’s not saying much. It’s going to be a while before we finally get a comfortable headset with 200+ degree FOV, 240hz refresh and 8k per eye in a thin form factor, but we’ll get there!

Crayon

It’s a good headset, but it’s still very lacking. I understand OP is blown away since the only other headset he had was the terrible Quest 1.

However, PSVR2 is the best headset currently on the market, but that’s not saying much. It’s going to be a while before we finally get a comfortable headset with 200+ degree FOV, 240hz refresh and 8k per eye in a thin form factor, but we’ll get there!

True but the flip side is that it's fun to be riding the swell of a developing technology. It's a real shot in the arm for climbing a ladder of game technology that otherwise has been waning for a long time. If you haven't upgraded your headset in 5 years like op and their Q1 or the many with psvr1, psvr2 is a hefty upgrade and it's exciting. If first gen VR was like going from 2d to 3d, jumping from that to psvr2 or any nice-grade stuff we have now is like going from PS1 to PS2.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
True but the flip side is that it's fun to be riding the swell of a developing technology. It's a real shot in the arm for climbing a ladder of game technology that otherwise has been waning for a long time. If you haven't upgraded your headset in 5 years like op and their Q1 or the many with psvr1, psvr2 is a hefty upgrade and it's exciting. If first gen VR was like going from 2d to 3d, jumping from that to psvr2 or any nice-grade stuff we have now is like going from PS1 to PS2.
Agreed. The disappointment for me has really come in the lack of software from Sony. I figured they would have had a lot of first party titles by now.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Agreed. The disappointment for me has really come in the lack of software from Sony. I figured they would have had a lot of first party titles by now.
They hardly have games for PS5 this year, and you wanted more psvr2 games?
When they learn how to make GAAS VR games, they will release them at a steady pace.
I'm getting a psvr2 for the indies, indies are the only thing keeping the industry sane at the moment.

Top Bottom